For the ladies, what do you do about creepers at the gym?

Options

Replies

• DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If you wear headphones, point at them and make no motion to take them off. Then break eye contact and keep working out. If you don't wear headphones, point at the weights, then tap your wrist twice (international gesture for "time is of the essence"), break eye contact and keep working out.

Two keys are break eye contact and speak NO WORDS. That should shut it down for good after 3 instances.

If he tries to block your path to reestablish eye contact, kick him in the ding ding. For reals

I approve of this post. Sounds like a winning plan to me.

Me too :wink:
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Honestly, I ignore it on the rare occasions that I've ever noticed anything weird. I continue to keep my headphones and I do NOT make eye contact. 100% ignore them and pretend like they don't exist.

I don't have an issue though.. but if I did I'd tell my boyfriend who also works as security at my gym. In your situation, I would tell somebody. That guy clearly is not going to get the hint unless either you or somebody else tells him bluntly to go away.

I don't have any type of ipod, headphones etc. wish I did. I think that needs to be in investment.

oh, yeah you gotta get some headphones if you wnat to be leftr alone and just workout... great investment in your fitness

I agree, not sure why I didn't think of this before. I'm going to use a spare set I have & just fake it lol!
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Honestly, I ignore it on the rare occasions that I've ever noticed anything weird. I continue to keep my headphones and I do NOT make eye contact. 100% ignore them and pretend like they don't exist.

I don't have an issue though.. but if I did I'd tell my boyfriend who also works as security at my gym. In your situation, I would tell somebody. That guy clearly is not going to get the hint unless either you or somebody else tells him bluntly to go away.

I don't have any type of ipod, headphones etc. wish I did. I think that needs to be in investment.

Do you have an MP3 player on your cell phone???

I can play music on my phone, but I'm so clumsy I'm afraid of dropping it (iPhone super delicate) while I'm working out so I never bring it inside the gym.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I just sleep with them
  • DJ2120
    Options
    I find that these types of guys have no social skills whatsoever. I mean, who would keep bothering someone who was showing all body language that said "piss off?" Try "sorry, no time to talk, gotta focus on my workout. Have a nice day." and then just keep moving, look down at your log book, or otherwise avoid eye contact.

I've had some guys even try to approach me when wearing the earphones and moving fast, which means they can't read body language. I just say "what?" about 4 times, then say, "sorry, too much sweat in my ears, gotta keep working out. " and turn and go on about my business.

I totally agree, I don't know why anyone would bother someone who clearly looks like they are not the least bit friendly & even mean possibly. I'm going to start using headphones & I think my gym experience will be much more pleasant from now on.
  • MiniCooperDeb
    MiniCooperDeb Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Tell the staff and keep telling them until they do something. The last thing you need is for this to spill into the parking lot where it could potentially turn dangerous. Do something NOW!
  • leslie0422
    leslie0422 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I put on headphones and ignore him pretend I don't hear him

This is exactly what I do and it tends to work for most guys....maybe not this one though.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    I just sleep with them

Well, that may work for you. But, I don't think my Husband of 9 years would approve lol :blushing:
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Just tell him to f**k off and put some headphones on. It doesn't matter if he is offended and its "awkward" seeing him at the gym after, you're already uncomfortable so it can't get any worse by being direct.

I've never had a problem with creepers (no chubby chasers at my gym, I guess, lol) but I've had women get on a cardio machine next to me and want to be my best friend, chatting away. I tell them flat out, sorry - not into talking while I workout. Then I tune them out and ignore. One woman called me a bi**h, oh well. Didn't want to be friends with her anyway and if she tells others I'm a bi**h, well maybe everyone will leave me alone while I work out.

Good luck!
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Tell the staff and keep telling them until they do something. The last thing you need is for this to spill into the parking lot where it could potentially turn dangerous. Do something NOW!

If the headphone method doesn't work & he keeps it up I definitely will, thank you :smile:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I work out with my boyfriend. :bigsmile: Maybe you could talk a male friend or relative into going to the gym with you?

ETA: Just saw the husband comment. Bring him with you!
  • fenrirGrey
    fenrirGrey Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Curious to see what happens.. does he get the point or do things escalate.

Bring out the popcorn. ;)

psst: Sucks that you have to go through it though
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Bring your husband? Can he say something to this dude?
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I just sleep with them

Well, that may work for you. But, I don't think my Husband of 9 years would approve lol :blushing:

One other thing, when telling him to get lost put the hand with the wedding ring squarely in his face, point to it, and ask him if finally gets it.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Just tell him to f**k off and put some headphones on. It doesn't matter if he is offended and its "awkward" seeing him at the gym after, you're already uncomfortable so it can't get any worse by being direct.

I've never had a problem with creepers (no chubby chasers at my gym, I guess, lol) but I've had women get on a cardio machine next to me and want to be my best friend, chatting away. I tell them flat out, sorry - not into talking while I workout. Then I tune them out and ignore. One woman called me a bi**h, oh well. Didn't want to be friends with her anyway and if she tells others I'm a bi**h, well maybe everyone will leave me alone while I work out.

Good luck!

Oh geez! There are so many social clubs out there that you can join. But, forcing yourself on people while they are trying to focus & work out is just beyond ridiculous to me. Thanks for the advice.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Like the one person said put your music ears on and go about your business. If he keeps bugging you tell the staff. The staff is generally willing to help and the gym I go to has kicked guys out for this type of behavior, and if it gets worse (like stalking issues) don't hesitate to contact law enforcement. Be aware when going to your car, etc. There are some creepy people in the world.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    I just sleep with them

One other thing, when telling him to get lost put the hand with the wedding ring squarely in his face, point to it, and ask him if finally gets it.

I don't wear it to the gym for fear of ruining it especially when I'm using barbells. Maybe I'll just get a cheap silver band to wear.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Your reaction to this guy being nice to you is exactly why I'm never say anything to or smile at any female in the gym. Some guys are "fixer's" this guy may just be trying to fix your broken smile. Ane no I'm not the creeper and I'm not stalking you... but you are a little low on milk. JK(happily married non stalker)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Just tell him you want a long term relationship with lots of babies...doesn't that scare most guys off??:laugh:
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    his comment about the smile and reply afterwards tells me that he may just be overly nice, which can also tend to be pushy. They like everyone and thus can't fathom why someone wouldn't want to be friends with them. The advice of a simple "Sorry, I'm only here to workout" is probably the best. If it persists after that, I suggest you find a good Kung Fu sifu and learn Monkey Grabs the Peach and learn him what for.