For the ladies, what do you do about creepers at the gym?

Options

Replies

• DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Like the one person said put your music ears on and go about your business. If he keeps bugging you tell the staff. The staff is generally willing to help and the gym I go to has kicked guys out for this type of behavior, and if it gets worse (like stalking issues) don't hesitate to contact law enforcement. Be aware when going to your car, etc. There are some creepy people in the world.

Thank goodness I always work out early (7-8am) while there is plenty of light & people around in the parking lot. I always park as close to the entrance as possible & the front of the gym is all glass so you can clearly see in & out. It would be mighty brave to attack someone in a parking lot under those conditions, but I know anything can happen.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Just tell him you want a long term relationship with lots of babies...doesn't that scare most guys off??:laugh:

Haha! :laugh:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I smile and say nothing with unflappable consistency.

If they push harder, I'll keep being sweet and smiling until it reaches the one-month mark- then I spin around and slap them across the face. Then I'll put my smile back on and go about my day.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Or just tell him that you're into really feminine men.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    his comment about the smile and reply afterwards tells me that he may just be overly nice, which can also tend to be pushy. They like everyone and thus can't fathom why someone wouldn't want to be friends with them. The advice of a simple "Sorry, I'm only here to workout" is probably the best. If it persists after that, I suggest you find a good Kung Fu sifu and learn Monkey Grabs the Peach and learn him what for.

ROTFLMAO! Thank you.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Or just tell him that you're into really feminine men.

Maybe I should flex my biceps in front of him, bet he would leave me alone then lol!
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Headphones is the rule of thumb...that means leave me alone. If he approaches, don't take off the headphones and be loud, as if you can't hear anything he's saying, "I'm working out, leave me alone."

He should leave you alone. You shouldn't be subjectable that type of environment, don't hesitate to tell management or to publicly humiliate him. You're being too nice.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Your reaction to this guy being nice to you is exactly why I'm never say anything to or smile at any female in the gym. Some guys are "fixer's" this guy may just be trying to fix your broken smile. Ane no I'm not the creeper and I'm not stalking you... but you are a little low on milk. JK(happily married non stalker)

LOL you cracked me up with this. I'll never understand why some people assume that you *have* to walk around smiling all the time or that if you aren't smiling you must be sad. Some people just don't smile a lot. I'm one of those people. And there is nothing wrong with that. I would never tell someone who smiles a lot not to, and it shouldn't be ok the other way around.
  • jdressel
    jdressel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't comical or fun to read - but I really make a concerted effort to avoid any kind of wandering eye or eye contact at the gym. A woman could be wearing tight or short clothes because she needs to be able to move to work out. I don't want to make women uncomfortable in their own gym.

Consequently, I'm pretty sure everybody thinks I'm a rude mute.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Headphones is the rule of thumb...that means leave me alone. If he approaches, don't take off the headphones and be loud, as if you can't hear anything he's saying, "I'm working out, leave me alone."

He should leave you alone. You shouldn't be subjectable that type of environment, don't hesitate to tell management or to publicly humiliate him. You're being too nice.

I'm starting the headphones tomorrow, if he bothers me those are the exact words I will use & hopefully he will feel embarrassed enough to leave me alone from then on.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    You don't need a music player, just some cheap earbuds, and tuck the cable in your shirt/sports bra. MIght do the trick, and you can a super cheap set anywhere.
  • y0mbo
    y0mbo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Isn't just ignoring the guy being a little passive aggressive? You need to tell him to leave you alone directly.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    I work out with my boyfriend. :bigsmile: Maybe you could talk a male friend or relative into going to the gym with you?

ETA: Just saw the husband comment. Bring him with you!

Wish I could, I love going to the gym with him. But, he leaves for work around 6am Monday thru Saturday & doesn't get home until 8-9pm & by then I have already put our daughter to bed & by 10pm I am in bed myself. We work out together on Sundays sometimes :happy:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I act like a real bi*ch at the gym. I walk around with a scowl on my face like im pissed off. People generally tend to get the "*kitten* off" vibe from me.

I did have somone stop me in the middle of a set, wave at me to take my headphones off and then said "so...uh... hey.... you're...uh strong."

I was like "yeah, I am". *puts headphones on and continues set*

I would like to think i'm not a terrible person, but GD! I dont go to the gym to **** around and chit chat with people! Don't interrupt me when i'm working out!! If you have someone to say to me, say it when i'm done!

If you don't have headphones, I suggest you get some. I get a lot less ballsy guys approaching me when i look like im too busy.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Just tell him you want a long term relationship with lots of babies...doesn't that scare most guys off??:laugh:

Some of us shoot blanks, so we will be more than happy to try for those babies all night long :-p

As long as you make it clear that you are married and not interested, I don't see why he would still be on your case. If he is that is when you talk to management, like others said he might think you are playing hard to get.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    I know this isn't comical or fun to read - but I really make a concerted effort to avoid any kind of wandering eye or eye contact at the gym. A woman could be wearing tight or short clothes because she needs to be able to move to work out. I don't want to make women uncomfortable in their own gym.

Consequently, I'm pretty sure everybody thinks I'm a rude mute.

LOL when I first started going to a gym about 6 months ago I wore the cute little shorts & sports bras. I learned really quickly that can get you a lot of unwanted attention. Now, I wear loose t-shirts & borderline baggy pants. I never even wear any type of short pants.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    ask the guy if he's blindfolded and tied up cause all you men must be subs
  • DJ2120
    Options
    I act like a real bi*ch at the gym. I walk around with a scowl on my face like im pissed off. People generally tend to get the "*kitten* off" vibe from me.

I did have somone stop me in the middle of a set, wave at me to take my headphones off and then said "so...uh... hey.... you're...uh strong."

I was like "yeah, I am". *puts headphones on and continues set*

I would like to think i'm not a terrible person, but GD! I dont go to the gym to **** around and chit chat with people! Don't interrupt me when i'm working out!! If you have someone to say to me, say it when i'm done!

If you don't have headphones, I suggest you get some. I get a lot less ballsy guys approaching me when i look like im too busy.

Me too! I walk around the gym looking like I just ripped someone's head off & could easily do it again if someone says the wrong thing to me, which is why I can't understand why anyone would approach someone that looks like me lol! I'm using headphone starting tomorrow.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If telling him you weren't interested and ignoring him isn't working, I'd tell the staff that he's bothering you and won't leave you alone.
    This and get an Ipod-he can talk all he wants, but if you don't hear him, he cant bother you, and he'll look like the idiot he is! Good Luck!
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Isn't just ignoring the guy being a little passive aggressive? You need to tell him to leave you alone directly.

Well, normally I do just ignore people it could be at the gym, grocery store, park wherever & they get the point. Not this one, if he still bothers me after I start wearing headphones then I will straight up tell him to back off & leave me alone.