Hmm I lost ten pounds... can I be done now?

Options

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I never dieted in my life, before starting to use this site maybe 3 months ago. I was shocked and horrified to see what I would normally eat came up as far as the math goes with the calories and fat and whatnot. I was like omg, no wonder, this happened.

So, with huge efforts, over like two months, I managed to lose ten pounds. I nearly cut out red meat, cheese, reduced booze, as I identified these as my major downfalls. Tried to control portion sizes. Switched a lot of things to whole grain. Ate more veggies, more fish. I made a lot of changes, and it was a serious pain in the *kitten*.

At 5'6" and still 210 pounds though, I need to keep going, and it really seems like too much trouble, I'm tired of it. Also my body seemed to adjust to the changes, and I have to watch very carefully just to keep the ten pounds off. A little slip, order pizza or something, and I'm back up a pound or two. I don't want to exercise, I really hate it, I'm not willing. Also busy.

Help, how do you stay motivated, keep going?

I started out here almost 9 months ago at 5'2" and 228.4 lbs

There have been many times that I wanted to quit. It took me 3 months to lose the first 7lbs, and then I made some dietary changes, and the weight melted off for a few months. Then in the last 3 months I have only lost like 4 lbs :( I have been busting my booty in the gym--both cardio and strength--and the darn scale isnt moving ( neither is the measuring tape).

As for exercise, I think you hate it because you haven't really gotten into it. The first month or so the treadmill KILLED me. I would get off of it and be dripping in sweat and ready to fall over. As it got a little easier, I realized that I kinda like it. Now I get kinda twitchy if I cannot get my workout in. I do strength, and I really like it--I feel a great sense of achievement when I am watching myself do assisted pull-ups and tricep dips. Hopefully this winter I can start heavy lifting :D

Diet...if you cut too many things out, it is hard to stick to. I eat *bad* foods, but only if they fit my macros. Probably 2x a month I eat a big juicy cheeseburger...but since I am cutting carbs, I throw away the top bun. A week or so ago hubby wanted pizza...so I ordered an entree salad and a pizza--we split the salad and I had 2 small slices of pizza.
  • ezwryder
    Options
    I think you're at the point I was about five years ago. I recognized I needed to make a change. But I wasn't willing to make the commitment I needed to really make it happen.

I've known for years that something had to give. I could easily observe the effects of my years of bad habits. Catching my breath at the top of a single flight of stairs. Sleep apnea. Buying clothes in ever larger sizes. Feeling terrible when I ate too much. I was almost ready, but not quite.

Finally, after accumulating a number of negative reasons to lose weight, I found a positive one. We bought a house in a neighborhood in Florida where many residents are about our age. It's a very active, outdoor oriented community. No, not a retirement community. Most of our neighbors are in their 40s and 50s. Kayakers, bicyclers, runners, sailors, kiteboarders. I was BLOWN AWAY by how active they are. And, as a natural extension, they also happen to be pretty trim and fit.

So, when I began to see myself living in that community, doing the things they do, I began to feel a deep seated desire to change. I wasn't motivated by any of the negatives. I didn't feel like the diet or the exercise were obligations, but rather the tools I needed to realize this new vision of myself.

Now that I have modified my lifestyle so I can be more like the people I hold up as role models, I've lost nearly all the weight I've planned to lose (20 lbs to go), I can run for miles at a time, I threw away that hateful CPAP machine, and my jeans are four sizes smaller.

So my advice is to look for POSITIVE reasons to make a LIFESTYLE change. Adopt a vision for what a BETTER YOU looks like, and work toward that, not some arbitrary scale number. The weight loss will come as a result. And you won't feel for a minute like you are giving up anything.
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    What keeps me motivated...

• Diabetes, which runs in my family, I don't want it.
    • Bad Knees at 29 years old
    • Realizing I would be dead if a Zombie Apocalypse were to occur tomorrow.
    • I feel better about myself
    • I look better
    • I get stronger every day
    • I am happier

In the end you have to want it enough to be willing to do what is necessary to become fit and healthy. Someday there will be a wake up call, you will hear it, you will realize that it is up to you and every excuse you make (I hate exercise, I am not willing, I don't want to, I cant, etc) are all exactly that, excuses. I know, because I fed myself ever excuse in the book. It wasn't a convenient time to do this, I am to busy yadda yadda yadda.

I have only been at this 40 days, does it suck? Hell yes it does. Do I want to quit? Of course I do, it would be so easy to slip back in my old ways. Complaining about all the people smaller than I am, making excuses, pretending like I am just to busy to look after myself.

I am only going to be alive one time (unless I am a Time Lord and I regenerate) why the hell do I want to spend it feeling sorry for myself?
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Wow - sorry losing weight was such an inconvience for you! If it's that much of a hassle and the benefits don't outweigh the negatives, then yes....you can be done.

The problem is, you're still thinking of this as a diet instead of a way to lose weight and change your lifestyle to keep that weight off long term. If you can't eat certain foods because they trigger you, that's fine. And certain foods have health benefits that others don't. But, you don't have to cut out foods just to lose weight. Yes, the scale jumps up the day after you eat pizza.....but it goes back down after the sodium is flushed out of your system. Drink more water.

You also don't have to exercise - it's not required to lose weight. But don't say that you're too busy. That's insulting to the MFP members who do find time to exercise - we all have obligations, commitments, and requirements. But a lot of us just make sacrifices in order to get a workout in. If you don't want to do that, that's fine.

I stay motivated because being 43lbs lighter is better than being obese. And being fit and healthy is better than stuffing my face with too many calories. That's my motivation....but it sounds like you're just not there yet. Hopefully it "clicks" for you soon.

While I agree with this, I don't think the OP was being completely condescending until she hit the exercise portion of her post. I think that she's kind of worn down and doesn't know where to turn, because until you realize that you're making excuses...it feels like you really can't.

I'm working two part time jobs and going to school part time as well, filling up all 7 days with -something-, but I still exercise at least 3 days a week because I know it will help me with my goal. At first I didn't. I thought that I really couldn't, that my time was already so stretched that it was impossible. Annnddd... then I did it. And I kept doing it. My "diet" doesn't stay healthy all the time, but I'm putting my effort in with exercise.

However, like I said, I agree with this post. I do think that if you want something bad enough, you're not going to say "I just don't want to do this" because it's inconvenient. It just doesn't work like that.

So, in my honest opinion, you (OP) need to just sit there and think... "Do I really want to lose this weight?" If you do, it doesn't matter how 'motivated' you are, you're going to get your *kitten* up and do it. If you don't, you'll keep saying "I'm tired" or "I'm busy".

You either want it bad enough, or you don't. That simple.
  • Kitsada
    Kitsada Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Of course I mean no offense to all the MFP'ers who do exercise when I say I'm busy. Please realize it is just me rationalizing/making excuses. My apologies.

Thank you for the encouragement/tips/advice. I'm premenstrual and feeling a little down and unmotivated, and the nudges are helping. I'm going out to the grocery store now, with a plan in my head, to buy good things, and stop feeling so sorry for myself. I'll park far away. ;)
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Of course I mean no offense to all the MFP'ers who do exercise when I say I'm busy. Please realize it is just me rationalizing/making excuses. My apologies.

so when will the excuses stop when you are laying in a hospital bed with tubes and stuff coming out your nose??????

well i been there and done that and i can tell you an hour or two a day in the gym is way better than laying in a hospital bed for well over a week...
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I never reply to threads unless I have something positive to say but your post has me so incredibly confused that I feel I have to...

WHO are you asking permission to STOP from? If you are happy the way you are... by all means STAY THE WAY YOU ARE. If you have no health issues pushing you to get healthier and happier and you don't want to put in the work that is NEEDED to lose weight...DON'T. It's all up to you.

The ONLY person you need permission to stop or start from is YOU.

“Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.” ~Thomas Jefferson
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    The most motivating/rewarding part of all of this, for me, is the exercise and maintaining the ability to move and do as I get older.

How much fun is life if you're out of breath from one flight of stairs, or if you can't go for a nice walk on a beautiful beach/mountain/whatever? What about when your back and knees start to hurt all the time from just doing what you must do every day?

Decide what is important and move it or lose it.
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

This is where I become confused.

If you KNOW that you are making excuses...then why aren't you getting up anyways?
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Wow - sorry losing weight was such an inconvience for you! If it's that much of a hassle and the benefits don't outweigh the negatives, then yes....you can be done.

The problem is, you're still thinking of this as a diet instead of a way to lose weight and change your lifestyle to keep that weight off long term. If you can't eat certain foods because they trigger you, that's fine. And certain foods have health benefits that others don't. But, you don't have to cut out foods just to lose weight. Yes, the scale jumps up the day after you eat pizza.....but it goes back down after the sodium is flushed out of your system. Drink more water.

You also don't have to exercise - it's not required to lose weight. But don't say that you're too busy. That's insulting to the MFP members who do find time to exercise - we all have obligations, commitments, and requirements. But a lot of us just make sacrifices in order to get a workout in. If you don't want to do that, that's fine.

I stay motivated because being 43lbs lighter is better than being obese. And being fit and healthy is better than stuffing my face with too many calories. That's my motivation....but it sounds like you're just not there yet. Hopefully it "clicks" for you soon.

nicely said!

I work 12 hours shifts. start at 4;30 in am and leave work at 7;30 at night. I go to gym every night after work for 1 1/2 hours. I wish I could lose without hard work, but I can't.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    My main lesson learned: FORGIVE YOURSELF when you slip. Tomorrow's a new day. Remind yourself that you can lose and will at your own pace.

this is not actually true and its a state of mind that perpetuates problematic behavior. Your brain doesnt say - oh i didnt mess up yesterday - it does the same thing it always does with excess calories -without taking into consideration feelings, circumstances or what smelled good or felt better than exercising. Dont forgive and forget. Accept the consequences and realize that its your fault WHICH IS A GOOD THING cause it means its within your control! FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!

but dont ever say- today is a new day and yesterday doesnt matter - cause even if you choose to forget about how you behaved yesterday... your body will always keep an accurate log. And when you start wondering why you arent progressing - your brain will be confused and your body will like... told you so! :D
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My main lesson learned: FORGIVE YOURSELF when you slip. Tomorrow's a new day. Remind yourself that you can lose and will at your own pace.

This is true, although if every day is a slip and you just think "tomorrow is a new day", then you find yourself always making excuses and "starting again tomorrow".

For someone in the OP's position, it's probably a good idea to think "the next meal is the next opportunity to make good choices", instead of blowing a day.
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm just here to say that I totally understand where you are coming from.
    I don't know where you are going to find your motivation. I don't know if I've actually found enough of my own to keep me going to get to my bigger goals.
    I do set smaller goals so that I don't feel too overwhelmed by the big numbers.
    I remind myself that if I don't do this slowly and within my natural eating and exercise patterns this time then it will ultimately not be the lifestyle change I am trying to develop.
    I remind myself that it's a process.
    I believe that a pint of ice cream every once in a while is not going to "ruin everything".
    When I feel tired of doing this, I weigh in every day, because when the scale creeps up consistently (as opposed to because of water retention) I know that the work I had put in starts to be for naught. And I am sick and tired of doing this over and over and over again.
    When I'm feeling this way, I post something honest about how I'm feeling to my MFP friends--the ones who have seen my diary and know how many days I've logged in. I am doing this for me and it is a private journey, but it helps to put it out there a little so that I have the support and also a little external accountability.

Good luck. Be healthy.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    "I really hate it, I'm not willing. Also busy."

There is no gentle way to put this. If the above is really your attitude, then yes, you can be done. You are already done if that's your frame of mind.

I've struggled with my weight my entire adult life. When I've felt like you have expressed, I stayed fat. Only when I've changed my mind was I ever able to change my body. I'm usually a really nice person and sorry if my statement is harsh. I just see in you where I've been so many times and the best advice I can give is to change your mindset. Only then can you really change your body (and it wont suck so bad).

I've recently changed my mind and the results are fantastic. I'm eating yummy things, working out hard, losing weight, and feeling fantastic. Feel free to add me if you'd like to see my food diary.

:flowerforyou:
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Thank you for the encouragement/tips/advice. I'm premenstrual and feeling a little down and unmotivated, and the nudges are helping. I'm going out to the grocery store now, with a plan in my head, to buy good things, and stop feeling so sorry for myself. I'll park far away. ;)

Know that there is nothing wrong with feeling sorry for yourself. We all do it (especially during TOM!) and we all have our bad days but just don't let it define you or ruin your progress so far. 10lbs is awesome so remember that! Have your bad days where you don't move and you whine about everything but wake up the next day and say to yourself that that was yesterday. I've had my moan and now I'm gonna start fresh. Nobody is perfect all the time so don't feel like you have to be. I hope any of that made sense...
  • BethMotley
    Options
    I'm 52, in menopause and very lazy:) I don't like to think about having to do this for the rest of my life. So, today I choose to do this. I'm going to exercise, eat right and be happy. I can't change yesterday, tomorrow isn't here yet, but Today I can choose. :flowerforyou:

610118.png[/url]
  • skyeliz525
    skyeliz525 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try setting smaller goals for yourself.
    My first goal was to drink more water...at least 8 cups a day.
    Then I set my sights on 5 pounds lost.
    Then 10 lbs. lost.
    Then I wanted to mix it up some, so I set a goal to pack my lunch everyday.
    Then the first "big" goal was to lose 10% of my starting bosy weight...done.
    Up next, I want to fit into this pair of jeans in my closet!

It's all about getting comfortable with the goal(s) you have in mind and keeping yourself accountable. And Lord knows, we all have bad days in everything we do. If you have a bad hair day, do you shave your hair off and say, ok...done with that...no! You try something different, new shampoo, new product, dry it longer, curl it the other direction, add a braid...so, apply that to this process of losing weight. If you fall off the wagon, don't quit, just stand up, dust yourself off, and start over. And get really honest with yourself...what caused you to fall off the wagon? Stress? Boredom? Lack of planning? And look for ways to prepare yourself for next time.

***Just saw where you said this could be PMS related...I feel ya! I'm the same way, I have several days in a row where I'm a bottomless pit, I'm moody, I crave bad stuff...you get the idea. So, now that I know that, I'm prepared. I have a bag of light papcorn or dry Cheerios for the crunch instead of potato chips. I have sugar free jello for chocolate cravings. I try drinking green tea (this seems to end some of the cravings). Lean Cuisine pizza or mac and cheese instead of the full fat versions...see, it's all about how you approach it. You can make it easier on yourself! And you can do it!!!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    You could take a short break.

One thing that comes to my mind is---When the pain of not changing is greater than the process of making that change, you will find it important. Maybe the pain isn't that great right now for you.
    One Day At A Time.... This isn't an over night venture, it is a life time.
    To lose weight and keep it off, you have to change your lifestyle. Slip ups will happen, but you just go back to healthier eating as soon as possible. The more you eat junk food, the more you crave junk. And visa-versa, the more you eat healthy, the easier it is to stick to that.

Good Luck!
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    So - you don't have time to exercise, but you do have time to hang out online? Interesting.
  • banshishi
    banshishi Posts: 197
    Options
    I started a huge quest to lose weight, lost a lot a few years ago..I was 315lbs an got to 205lbs and I stopped, I got de motivated, was tired of taking account of every morsel I ate etc it all felt like too much...I quit, I managed to maintain for a long time til last year when I quit smoking and it crept up about 40lbs......I am saying this because..my absolute biggest regret is knowing that if I had stuck it out another year I would have hit target...instead I am 5yrs later still fat, still unhappy with my body and I still have the same thing to do, instead of enjoying the health benefits that I should be, wearing the clothes I want to, I am still fighting a battle that I could have won already...If you are unhappy enough to have started to lose weight, then you are going to be less happy in a few years time and its going to feel even worse knowing you could have got the job done already!