Help with my shopping list

Options
Between pay checks and the good food ran out days ago. I get paid on Friday and I can't WAIT to go shopping, so I'm making up my list. I don't want to go nuts because I don't want to blow my whole paycheck at the grocery store and run out of food in a week (again). Help me make my list. I'm not on any specific diet; I'm a carnivore and I am not anti-processed foods. I don't have a wheat allergy or gluten sensitivity (diagnosed), but I do try to do gluten-free as much as possible because I've found it helps with my headaches and sinus pain (the change in my belly fat could be do to that, or just because I'm losing weight). I don't like eggs, onions, peppers, or mushrooms. I love Thai food and mexican. Just to give you an idea of what to work with. So far on my list:
Brown Sugar (for baking and various apple/pumpkin recipes I've acquired on the site--mine is rock hard)
Oregano
Splenda
Cereal (unspecified)
PopChips
Skim Milk
Cheese (usually snack sticks, cheddar or colby)
Cottage cheese
Sour Cream
Splenda
Ground Beef
Pork Chops
Chicken Breasts
Turkey (ground, strips, or breasts)
Lunch meat
Tuna
Bananas
Greek Frozen Yogurt
Fruits and Veggies (usually I decide when I get there, but planning is better than not, so suggestions are welcomed)

Replies

• jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Your list looks a lot like mine would...

A couple suggestions:

Whole wheat bread,
    Fish (salmon, tilapia, bass),
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    reminds me i need to go to trader joes to pick up a few bags of "just chicken" and a few other things
  • Shange_Gully
    Options
    Get whole milk instead of that cancerous hippie skimmed *kitten*
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sriracha
    Cilantro
    lemongrass
    bean sprouts
    star anise
    Chinese five spice... trust me... it's awesome.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I would take with you a few recipes that you want to make in the near future, then buy the ingredients you need, rather than winging it and hoping the food you bought doesn't go to waste.
  • Jennhasfaith
    Jennhasfaith Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I like to look at the weekly grocery sale ads that come out to base my meals with the meats, fruits and veggies!!
  • terra32903
    terra32903 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If you put the brown sugar in with a slice of bread it will soften it.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I like to look at the weekly grocery sale ads that come out to base my meals with the meats, fruits and veggies!!
    That's a good idea!
  • gingerjen7
    Options
    Get whole milk instead of that cancerous hippie skimmed *kitten*
    Whole milk makes me gag.
  • gingerjen7
    Options
    If you put the brown sugar in with a slice of bread it will soften it.
    Really?!?! I don't have any bread though; I don't eat it. That's good to know, though--interesting fact.
  • soberval
    Options
    Try to plan ahead for the week, so you know what you're going to need, and that way you won't run out of food, and end up eating stuff that's not healthy.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Eggs!

Sorry--just saw the part where you said you didn't like eggs... They're a staple in our house!
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    For your brown sugar, save what you have! Place a wet paper towel on top of the container and microwave for 1-2 minutes on high. You should be able to break it up after that with a fork or spoon.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    you don't NEED bread IMO
    Whole milk makes me gag as well

I put together my meals on here and then went shopping - knew exactly how much to buy of what (added a little bit to account for the kido) Plus whatever things she likes that were also on sale

I have my go to spices, anything extra is just that EXTRA IF I have the EXTRA funds - otherwise not needed

For a change I have my meals all planned for the week if you wanna check them out?

chickpeas/garbanzo beans
    black beans
    I load up on Frozen veggies b/c they last me longer than fresh
  • Shug_E
    Shug_E Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    :smile: Just curious to know if its any kind of peppers that you don't like or just the green ones? As far as your grocery list goes, to me it looks fine, but here are a few suggestions that I would make.............

Instead of Splenda, try Stevia. Its all natural and has no side effects just make sure you buy the one without the bitterness.

I would suggest any whole grain cereal, like Cheerios. The multigrain is actually quite tasty.
    Lunchmeat, I very seldom eat it anymore so I would suggest anything turkey and if you can afford it buy ground chuck instead of ground beef. It doesnt disappear as fast while cooking.

Hopes this helps! Take care.
  • renamarie77
    renamarie77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I like how you have Splenda twice. I'm like that too. lol. I am also making my list. I would add rice cakes, hummus, laughing cow cheese, sugar-free yogurt, or pudding. I'm not the best dieter, I guess, but working on keeping everything low-cal.
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Sara lee has a 45 cal a slice bread-wheat and multi grain-
    I always buy string cheese-nice snack for 50-60 cals
    also love cheese wedges-"laughing cow" 35 cals and good flavor for broc, carrots, cucs, any veggie
    One other thing I do is make a big pot of soup-usually a chicken stock then add veggies-low fat and easy meal when my hubby is having his usual steak and potato meal:laugh:
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Lemon Pepper, Its great on alot of things like your chicken breast and has no calories
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Don't forget your healthy fats like olive oil, coconut oil and avocado since your gluten free mostly!! I usually go for just: Meats, veggies, nuts/ seeds, and fruit, sometimes I add in some rice, and beef jerky is a must!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Instead of Splenda, try Stevia. Its all natural and has no side effects just make sure you buy the one without the bitterness.

I do think Stevia is better also....HOWEVER....my budget prefers Splenda or the off-brand of splenda