My body is failing me

Options
Lately I haven't been feeling well, both physically and mentally. I was doing so well before on MFP and dropped 20 lbs, but now I've slowly gaining some of it back, and my body is so messed up. Maybe not just because I worry about food all the time, but also because I put too much stress on myself -- thesis at grad school, one job and one internship, and I'm competing in an advertising competition with my friends. I know now it might be too much for me, but I've made commitment in all these things and I have to carry on.

Yesterday in the subway, I almost fainted. My eyes went dark, my head was dizzy and I could barely stand. The week before that I threw up out of no where. All these things scare me and I don't know what to do. Besides these moments I seem functioning ok. I can't help but think MFP might help me loose weight, but I can never look at food the way before joining to site. I constantly worry about calories, and the more I deprive myself, the more I crave the "wrong stuff". I don't starve, I eat normally, but still it's a lot of stress trying to count what I eat, while there's so much going on in life.

I feel like if I don't say something I might explode...Sorry for the vent, just don't know where else I can write.

Replies

• LeslieC1970
    Options
    Hi there. I am by no means a professional but it does sound like the stress is getting to you. I have a PT and he has told me eating well 80% of the time gets you the results. Just pick healthier. There is a good chance if you pick healthy food choices, the calories will be in line. Pay attention to your body. I sometimes need to add protein or carbs depending on what is happening in my life to feel good.
    Hope you feel better soon.
  • clairegogogo
    Options
    Thank you, I do feel sometimes my body just need certain things. I'll try my best to relax and let my body tells me what to do...
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You're going to need to find a way to deal with stress. I've hit hard stressful times in the last year - had an optical migraine, thrown up - and it's all been due to stress.

It would be a good idea to see a therapist. It isn't a sin to seek help for things that are affecting your health - particularly when it's stress.

Tracking things on MFP is great - BUT you also need to not deprive yourself from things you love or crave. If you're craving a snickers bar, is it better to "eat the house down" trying to avoid it, or go ahead and eat it and get it out of your system? THere are many schools of thought on this, but I tend to lean towards the "get it out of your system" side. Every time I tell myself, "okay - no more oreos" it seems like oreos are all I want!! They know my name, they know where I live. BUT I can go to the gas station and pick up the "snack size" and "get it out of my system" by having just a bit of it, and it isn't going to ruin my food journal for the day.

Also - if at all possible - try to plan your day - or at least have an idea of what you're going to eat. Know that subway is going to be better than McDonalds or Burger King. Arby's isn't as healthy as it seems. If you go to a restaurant, order the "kids portion" of whatever you're having. Typically it comes with a fruit - and make sure you eat the fruit.
  • clairegogogo
    Options
    Thank you for your advice, very true.
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    As great as our advice is, we are not doctors.

Go see your doctor and discuss this with them. Print out your post and share it with them.

Good luck and I hope you feel better.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    sounds like ur stressed, but i wouldnt rule out other things. i have really low blood pressure and feel like im gonna pass out almost every day on the norm. also...maybe your pregnant? hmmmm.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    As great as our advice is, we are not doctors.

Go see your doctor and discuss this with them. Print out your post and share it with them.

Good luck and I hope you feel better.

I agree with this. It MIGHT be stress and possibly under-eating (I went throught this as well when I first started dieting), but it might be something else. Schedule some time and see your doctor. Even if its a "I just want to make sure..." type visit.
  • dlpoisson
    dlpoisson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You have a lot going on and I know what it is like to not have a lot of spare time. I am currently trying to cut back on some of my tracking as it does get time consuming.

I try to make it simple: Eat Average 2000 calories per day, exercise 4 to 6 times per week. I prefer shorter, higher intense workout and lots of strenght. I just don't have 2 hour a day to workout. Right now, I eat the same set of foods for breakfast/lunch/snacks so tracking on MFP doesn't take long. Dinners are more varied, so unless it's really quick to track, I recently decided to not track dinner calories but to really watch my portions and what goes in my mouth. I also try to eat clean most the time but never deprive myself of anything.

Good luck.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hey, as everyone else has said it sounds like the stress is getting to you. I had the same problem myself due to life circumstances etc and I've found that yoga and meditation really help me to clear my head. I know meditation isn't for everyone but worth a try maybe? I've been doing kundalini yoga for a little while now and I love it. It basically combines the both and I feel so much better after every session. Also maybe try taking a step back from counting calories, I know that may sounds like a scary thought, but think about it. You've been doing this for a while so you know what you're doing. Don't let it rule your life. Good luck, I hope any of this helps.
  • JustSinging
    JustSinging Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor but I think it maybe a good idea if you go see one. That way you can make sure there is nothing else going on. When I read your story the first thing I thought of was Is she having panic attacks? Agian I am not a doctor but may I strongly suggest that you go see one to make sure that there is not something else going on.
    Wishing you the best.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Options
    I have days where I can't get enough, like this weekend. I don't know if it was the stress I am going through between work ( i haven't had a day off since my house burned down and I broke my foot over two years ago and am having trouble finding someone to cover my shift so I can leave my sensibly challenged second in command in charge!) and a situation at home (it's a good situation just really stressful) and sometimes I find myself "needing" certain foods. I have found for me it's better to go ahead and eat the things you are craving (trying of course to eat them sensibly, which I fail miserably at sometimes, lol) than to tell yourself "I can't have that!" because then you feel even more stressed out because your body is not getting what it feels it needs and you feel like you are doing something wrong. The important thing to remember is that MFP calorie goals are a guideline to help and are not carved in stone. It will not do you any good to reach your goal if you have a nervouse breakdown in the process. Do what feels right for your body as well as your mind.
  • clairegogogo
    Options
    sounds like ur stressed, but i wouldnt rule out other things. i have really low blood pressure and feel like im gonna pass out almost every day on the norm. also...maybe your pregnant? hmmmm.

No >_< I'm not pregnant...but Thank you everyone for your advice, I will definitely schedule a doctor.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    You are in terrific shape..maybe force yourself into taking a break from mfp for a week or two..at worst you put on 1-2pounds but heyy nothing you cant lose again in a month right?
    And i work in advertising and i have actually put my career on the back burner cuz i cant be creative and come up with refreshing ideas when all i think of is food and calories :( .You are such an inspiration in that we can actually multi task and come out on top in both.Thanks! and dont be so hard on yourself.You are doing great!

Also can i add you if thats ok
  • mrs_joshica
    mrs_joshica Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate, and while you've made a commitment to all of these things you need to commit to YOU first. Get some rest, get some food, and live a normal life. One thing I demanded of myself when I got serious about losing weight was this, "I do NOT want to lose weight in a manner that I can't live with forever". So you need to find your happy medium with food, work, life, the lot. Make sure you are taking in enough calories to justify the busy schedule that you so obviously have. Drink plenty of water, and for goodness sakes, in all that, get some rest.

Track what you eat, a smart phone & the MFP app makes that easy nowadays. Most importantly, even if you eat something you think you shouldn't have, don't be hard on yourself, live with it, track it, learn from it, because that is real life. Most people will lose weight and say they've never touched a piece of cake again, but that may not be you. Figure out what you can live with, do it in moderation, and live life while you are losing weight. But seriously, take care of yourself, because something I heard a long time ago sticks with me, "What is the point of being cute, skinny, or smaller if it kills you?"
  • clairegogogo
    Options
    Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate, and while you've made a commitment to all of these things you need to commit to YOU first.

That's a great point, I never thought like this before. Thank you!