Ugh, I love fruit, BUT...

Options
I am ALWAYS over on my sugar, and it's only because of them. I have to have fruit, any suggestions???

Replies

• chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    lindsay - eat your fruit.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Eat it...it's natural sugar...not added, not chemically changed crud. It's fine. I don't track my sugar for this reason...I would always be over.

*edit- I can't seem to spell today.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I had that same concern, everyone said that normally the sugar in fruit is not bad for you, and if you eat all your fruit you will always be over on sugar. I eat like 3 or 4 apples a day, and grapefruit and a banana, so I just took the sugar part off my food diary, it just drove me crazy, don't like to see that red! I figure as long as I know the sugar is coming from fruit and not candy and cookies and cake, I am doing ok! Eat your fruit!!!
  • lindsay1982
    lindsay1982 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yes sir!! Thx :)
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    lindsay - eat your fruit.

Initially I had the same concerns, however these are natural sugars so much better for you than processed and refined sugars. I keep eating my fruit as you can see from my food dairy. Try and throw in a serving of veggies (baby carrots will be an easy transition as they are so sweet too) for an afternoon snack to mix it up.
  • lindsay1982
    Options
    Maid & faerie, thx, ladies, and I am so happy I can have them.
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    Eat your fruit, doll. Seriously, just like TheMaid said...it's good natural sugar not chemically processed crap. Gotta love those apples! :heart:
  • lindsay1982
    Options
    Thx, Miranda, I will, I actually really like veggies, too, I just forget about them...
  • rosecapmom
    Options
    Fruit is so good for your body, so you definitely don't want to eliminate it from your diet. However, not all fruit is created equal. Of course, fresh is best and you should eat it whole. Some fruit is higher in sugar content, like banans and pineapple, so you might want to eat such fruits in a controlled manner. All berries are low in sugar content and high in antioxidant properties, so incorporate berries into your menu, being sure to vary the colors! Put blueberries in your yogurt and make smoothies, put strawberries in your salads, slice apples and eat with a great, low-fat, high flavor cheese.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Don't pay any mind to going over on sugar because of fruit. Our bodies process natural sugars differently than the crappy fake sugar we throw at them through candy bars & other naughty food. Natural sugars are good for you, so eat that fruit!
  • lindsay1982
    Options
    Thx, Melanie & rosecapmom, I will. Oooo, I never thought about berries. What about raspberries?? Well, guess so, they're a berry... O_o
  • lindsay1982
    Options
    Thx, Dr, I will!!
  • pksevert
    pksevert Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yep, gotta have your fruit! The same thing happens to me! Keep up the good work!
  • lindsay1982
    Options
    Thx, pksevert, and I will!!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Reading this - I think I want some peaches!
  • lindsay1982
    Options
    Chrissy, that sounds good, so does some pears, not sure why I am craving pears, but I am now...
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    I run into this same problem. I am a vegetarian and drink smoothies for breakfast every morning (easy way to throw in some protein to make sure I get enough) and I am ALWAYS at risk of going over my sugar... with half a cup of blueberries and a few strawberries! It really irritates me but I have decided that I refuse to feel bad over eating some fruit!

With that said, too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Enjoy your fruit but don't indulge. One thing that has helped me is buying smaller pieces of fruit.
  • sharibrat
    sharibrat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    What about sugar that is in milk? Should I ignore that also? I drink a lot of milk and it puts me over my sugar.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    What about sugar that is in milk? Should I ignore that also? I drink a lot of milk and it puts me over my sugar.

Ignore it. It's lactose...perfectly fine. Although...how much do you drink?
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    Eat the fruit, ignore that part of your sugar intake. Not all sugars are created equally. Refined sugars are what you should stay away from.