Carrying your phone..

Options

Replies

• gtlightning98
    gtlightning98 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    SPI belt

Arm bands are a pain and advertise your phone. The belt doesn't bounce, you can put other things in it and no one can tell you have it.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I use a SPIBelt. No bounce whatsoever when my phone and keys are in it. I forget that it's there to the point where inevitably during a run I think, "OMG I LOST MY PHONE WHERE IS IT??" then realize, "umm, you're listening to it?"

Not good if you need access to it though. Only holding it in your hand works best for that. Sports bra will work but only until you ruin your phone with sweat.

Why do you need access, out of curiosity? If I'm approaching a long stoplight I'll sometimes pull it out of the SPIBelt to pause Runkeeper, but otherwise...I can control my music and pause/skip tracks using the iPhone headphone control thingy, so once I've started my playlist and runkeeper I'm usually good to go till the end.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I bring my phone too when I go out to walk. I can't put mine in my bra. The humidity would kill it in a short time! LOL

Also, I like to listen to different music and sometimes that necessitates a change if iheartradio station. So far I've been able to tuck it in a pocket of whatever I'm wearing on my bottom half. But it started pulling my shorts down the other day since they are getting bigger (due to me getting smaller!). I'm going to have to look into other options.
  • FruityGoddess
    FruityGoddess Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    arm band is what I use. My breasts get sweaty when I jog. I got it at Target for like $25
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I broke my phone in my bra ...I was dancing and got a little sweaty....so not going to attempt to run with it there !!
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I ruined a phone with sweat by carrying it in my sports bra (try explaining THAT to the guy at the phone store). Now I use an armband or hold it in my hand.

He was just jealous he didn't get that action.

All kidding aside, I seem to remember pointing out to my wife (at REI maybe? ****s sporting goods maybe?) a sports bra with a phone/money/key/whatever you want to put in it. It's a pocket right in the middle, or you could get a different style where it was elsewhere. I found it very entertaining given the "print" that it would make in the rest of your clothes, but hey, a major retailer must have seen some kind of value in it.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I use an arm band and deal with accessibility issues. I've burned through two and am on my third. The wrong buckle wears a friction burn in your arm (VERY painful). That being said, this is why fanny packs need to come back. :laugh:
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I worry too much about getting assaulted and getting my phone stolen, so I leave it at home. Makes me a little nervous to not have the phone for safety reasons, but I figure I'm more safe calling less attention to myself.
  • Jason3589
    Jason3589 Posts: 734
    Options
    In your pocket?
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The arm strap works just fine for me - using micoach and playing music/sermons/radio apps, etc. I just set it all up BEFORE putting it on my arm, then all I have to do is hit "begin workout" once it's on :)
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    I use a fanny pack. I put the phone in it as well as my keys when I go out for a walk.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Another vote for SPI belt.

Though I have a MOTOACTV and I rarely take my phone with me for a run anymore, it does fit my phone if I need it, plus keys if I don't have pockets.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I just carry it in my hand. It's as easy access as you can get. It was slightly awkward to begin with, but that quickly passed. Now I can check on my time/mileage and change songs really easily.

I suggest NOT doing this if you are at all clumsy. This is how I currently carry my phone and I have dropped it at least a dozen times and watched it smash open. I put it back together each time and it still pretty much works, until the next time...
  • cherryrobot
    cherryrobot Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have had armbands cut my arms and armpits and slip and slide everywhere. Totally hated them until I got this one at Target on a whim... I love it and have used it for 2 years with NO issues:

http://www.target.com/p/new-balance-armband-iphone/-/A-12903482#prodSlot=medium_1_6&term=armband

I the winter I wear a short sleeve shirt with a fleece vest from old navy (they sell em for like 8 bucks on sale in the winter) and just put my phone in the pocket. I agree that outside runners should have a phone on them-- you never know what could happen!! One time I witnessed an accident and called 911.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Another vote for SPI belt.

Though I have a MOTOACTV and I rarely take my phone with me for a run anymore, it does fit my phone if I need it, plus keys if I don't have pockets.

I need one of these..stat!
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    If you don't like the arm band, then holding it is your next best option. The waist cases just bounce around too much! Plus, if you get the iPhone app Zombies, Run! it has a setting for holding it in your hand. :)

If you bicycle, you can get a bike mount!

Also, seriously consider a bluetooth headset like the LG HBS-700. I love this thing!

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Tone-Wireless-Bluetooth-Packaging/dp/B0052YFYFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350329430&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+hbs-700

EDIT TO ADD: With the right headset and playlist, you can advance to the next song/ pause/ etc. from the headset!

i was just looking at this headset last night...thinking about getting it. Can you tell me what you like/don't like about it? If I have it in my head right, the "band" piece goes around your neck and the earbuds come out of that...does it flop alot? That was what I was wondering.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I would strongly advise against the bra method. People are still advised NOT to keep their phones close to their bodies when the phone is in use... right? Beyond that, I was carrying mine in my sport bra but one night it fell out. D:

Now I use a little bag that straps to my back. It doesn't interfere with my run, it's not easily accessible but I could probably bring it around to the front if I wanted. Usually I find when I'm running I've got no time to be messing with my phone so I prefer to have it safely tucked away.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of these, I think they are meant for people like the OP!

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/women-39-s-stow-n-go-ii-a_b-high-impact-sport-bra.html

29uzjwh.jpg

Edited to add pic!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I need one of these..stat!

I can't even describe to you how joyous it is to run with nothing but the Motorola as a watch with bluetooth headphones. No wires ever again.
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of these, I think they are meant for people like the OP!

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/women-39-s-stow-n-go-ii-a_b-high-impact-sport-bra.html

This is awesome if you don't mind spending $40 for a sports bra. Perhaps Target will come out with knock-offs soon.

I am also a bra stuffer, but I tuck the phone to the side of my boob, near my armpit.. My phone is in a hard case with the touch screen facing outward, so that it does not get sweaty.

I have an arm band, and I HATE it.