I could use some support.

Options
So, I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and can easily put on 10, 20, or even 50 pounds. However, taking weight off, is super hard. I've been working out now and dieting/changing eating habits for 15 weeks. That's right, fifteen. I've lost 2 pounds. Went to get some metabolic testing done, and my Basal Metabolic Rate is 2180 calories. Not even kidding, at 21 with my weight, and my health issues, my physiologist thought it'd be near 1650 and was stunned it's that high and I'm not losing anything.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :(

Replies

• Chel_c87
    Options
    Hi Mouse! I too have PCOS (and endometriosis) You are right, taking weight off is harder for us, but it is possible! How often are you working out and what are you eating?
  • emilymonnig
    Options
    Hi Mouse! I am in exactly the same boat! I'm working out hard 4-5 days a week, and after 6 weeks of that level of exercise and only eating 1000-1200 calories per day, I haven't lost ANY weight! Please share your secret if you find something that does work!
  • mouse529
    Options
    I eat around 1500-1800 calories a day (which was what my dietician felt was a good range for me), and I work out by doing cardio (biking, stair stepping), and strength training (crunches, sit ups, some weights) for 1.5 hours a day 6/7 days a week, burning 975ish calories per workout (with my personal trainer). I eat most white meats (chicken/turkey) due to my cholesterol being a bit high, not a lot of dairy besides the occasional yogurt, maybe 1/4 cup of cheese on lunch, and I usually eat egg whites and not a whole egg. I'm eating whole grains, and lots of veggies and fruits. I wish I could say I'm not losing weight because I'm eating a lot, but I'm not so it's super frustrating.

I just don't know what else to do, but I'm not giving up. So something has to work. I've never had a time (besides my pregnancy last year) that I haven't been active. I've been active since I was five, and somehow I'm the one who is the biggest in my family.
  • mouse529
    Options
    Hi Mouse! I am in exactly the same boat! I'm working out hard 4-5 days a week, and after 6 weeks of that level of exercise and only eating 1000-1200 calories per day, I haven't lost ANY weight! Please share your secret if you find something that does work!

Emily- try eating some more calories, while working out you burn a lot of calories, and if you're net cals (what you've eaten-what you've burnt exercising) are too low sometimes your body will starve itself because it's hungry. Which actually causes weight gain (learned this a few months ago). GL!
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    EliteFTS.com has some lifters who have posted articles about managing these issues while training.