CALORIES? CARBS? FAT? SUGAR? SODIUM? WHATS YOUR FOCUS?

Options

Replies

• vikdexkaykai
    vikdexkaykai Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Calories only; I figure that if I can keep the calories under control, and eating fairly clean, all the rest of it will naturally fall in line.
    This is kinda what I thought as well!!
  • MissMollieD
    Options
    I posted this in another thread but still applies:

Calories come from (3) MACRO-nutrients - Fat, Protein, and Carbs. Everything else (fiber, sugar, saturated fat, etc) is subset of these 3 main biggies - otherwise known as MICRO-nutrients. Set up your macronutrients so that you are eating at least 1 gram of protein for your LEAN body weight - it's a goal, sometimes I hit, sometimes I don't. Make the next highest percentage fat, and then carbs. NOTE, 1 gram of Fat = 9 calories, 1 gram of Protein = 4 calories, and 1 gram of carbs = 4 calories.

NOTE: eating FAT does not make you FAT

That's an interesting approach. I also do 1g of protein per LBM, but I can hit that with my protein set to 25% of calories. So I do fat for the other 25% then carbohydrates for half my calories. I am not sure why you want want more fat than carbs.

Because if you eat healthy fats on a regular basis, you're body will use fat for energy instead of carbs. And if you over eat on carbs (i.e. you do not immediately burn up all the carbs you ingest) - it becomes sugar and sugar increases your insulin level. Soon your body cannot absorb any more sugar, the excess sugar is stored as fat.
  • MissMollieD
    Options

Calories come from (3) MACRO-nutrients - Fat, Protein, and Carbs. Everything else (fiber, sugar, saturated fat, etc) is subset of these 3 main biggies - otherwise known as MICRO-nutrients. Set up your macronutrients so that you are eating at least 1 gram of protein for your LEAN body weight - it's a goal, sometimes I hit, sometimes I don't. Make the next highest percentage fat, and then carbs. NOTE, 1 gram of Fat = 9 calories, 1 gram of Protein = 4 calories, and 1 gram of carbs = 4 calories.

That's an interesting approach. I also do 1g of protein per LBM, but I can hit that with my protein set to 25% of calories. So I do fat for the other 25% then carbohydrates for half my calories. I am not sure why you want want more fat than carbs.

The percentages and the "fat does not make you fat" slogan most likely means a Paleo/Primal diet.

Wrong. Not paleo/primal or what have you. A lot of research and understanding.
  • FrancineQueen
    Options
    Those tools (calorie, carbs,protein etc...)are put there to balance our diet. They not only help us lose weight but also help us eat healthier. Check out the Canadian Food Guide, this helps us balance our food groups and portions. Try it for a couple of days and see if it keeps you out of that red zone.
    As for sodium it is verry hard to stay in the balanced zone.. Look at food lables and choose food that have less than 10% sodium. As for fiber, the more the better!!!
    Hope this help... Good Luck!!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm always over for protein, sometimes for fiber, never for fat, carbs or calories unless I had a cheat meal which is rare. I'm in the green in my sodium every day, I make sure of it. Eat less processed food and be watchful of the amount of sodium in bread. It's not difficult to eat 2500mg or less of sodium every day unless you just don't try.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

The percentages and the "fat does not make you fat" slogan most likely means a Paleo/Primal diet.

Oh, duh! That makes sense. I was trying to think about what kinds of food that a person would eat for those macros. :laugh:
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    YES! You can't cut a single thing out of your diet and expect to win long term. The key to this is balance and moderation.
    My nutritionist set a guideline for me that is this.. 3 protein , 3 carbs and 2 fats a day. All the veg that I want to eat in addition to that.
    The trick is in the types of carbs or fats that you eat. Even protein. You can pick bacon. or you can pick turkey, chicken, or even lean beef.

I don't think you have to get rid of anything except refined sugars and corn. (useless food) Good luck.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I track calories, protein, fiber and water.
    When choosing foods I go low fat then low sugar then low sodium.
    I do not have to worry about gluten or dairy. :tongue:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Because if you eat healthy fats on a regular basis, you're body will use fat for energy instead of carbs. And if you over eat on carbs (i.e. you do not immediately burn up all the carbs you ingest) - it becomes sugar and sugar increases your insulin level. Soon your body cannot absorb any more sugar, the excess sugar is stored as fat.

Carbs become sugar no matter how many of them you eat. Your body needs sugar. I like to get a little bit of fat with my carbs and a little bit with my protein. I set my macros to 50/25/25 almost two months ago. I hit my goals on most days. On some occasions I go over on fat and on some days I go over on carbs, but so long as there is a caloric deficit, then the body isn't going to be storing any fat for energy.

Thanks for responding. I was very curious about that, since you didn't post the actual percentages that you use, I was speculating. :smile:
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I watch calories first, then I make sure I get enough protein every day, and I watch my sodium levels. The only "red" I'm ever concerned about are calories and sodium. I keep an eye on the others, but the 3 mentioned above are the most important to me.

Edit:And fiber! Can't believe I forgot that-getting enough fiber is also important! So 4 things...
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Staying within my calories for the day and making sure I eat my 30% protein. The rest I don't really care about.

For my micro-nutrients, Calcium & Iron.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Carbs first because as a diabetic, I need to keep my blood sugar in the normal range.
    Calories second because I need to lose 70-80 more pounds.
    Protein and fat because focusing on those helps keep my carbs and calories in an acceptable range.
    Finally, fiber because I like things to move along smoothly and high fiber carbs also help regulate my blood sugar.

I don't worry about sugar as it's covered by carbs. I don't worry about sodium because I eat little processed food and have low normal blood pressure
  • AWDGhostRider
    Options
    Calories - Cause I'm trying to lose weight

Cholesterol - My triglycerides are high and I work diligently to keep it under 200 mg a day

Sodium - Under 2400 mg (not so easy sometimes to keep it under but doing good with that)

Saturated Fat

I watch the carbs last but I usually have left over each day.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Calories and protein are the only things I pay attention to, I'm a gainer/maintainer, and right now the rest don't matter much..I always go over in fat, I do try to keep most of that fat as good fats though!
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I watch my calories always.

I do not watch sodium and sugar that much because I have very little of them in my daily menu (just throw an eye at them from time to time).
    Carbs likewise. I barely have half of what MFP says I should each day.

I watch my fat, but not necessary the MFP values; if I have more one day and it is the healthy fat, it is ok. Wrong kind of fat is what it worries me.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I focus on calories, but also watch my percentages. I prefer to go over on protein and under on carbs and fat. I'm trying to get my fat at around 30% of my calories, but sometimes still go over on fat even when that's ok and I'm under on calories.

My bf is diabetic, so he concentrates on carbs. His calories seem to fall in line when he does that as my carbs and fats do with me watching calories.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I "play" MFP weekly like playing an old school video game. in PacMan or DonkeyKong or Mario, you first want to just be able to complete the level. Then, you try and do it without losing lives, getting more points, finishing faster, achieving bonuses, etc.

Completing the Level
    For me, acheiving calories (under) and protein (minimums) are "completing the level". I balance those equally, which means that if I am way under on protein, I am willing to go over on calories to get closer on protein. I don't "win the level" every day. If I miss one day, that's like "losing a life" in a video game --- gotta try again the next day. if I lose too many times, I am screwed for the week.

More Points
    I feel like I got "higher points" for the day if I kept my fat and sugar in check and hit my fiber goal. For me, I'm always way under on sodium and half the potassium numbers are wrong in the database, so I ignore those two.

Bonuses
    On any given day, if I can achieve my other vitamins/micronutrients (iron, calcium, vitamins a&c), that's like winning a "power up bonus" in a video game. I'm usually more worried about my weekly levels than any given day.

Monitoring my High Score
    I frequently review my weekly summary results on the iPad app. I'm always trying to improve my weekly average for all the elements combined - which is like my running high score.

Okay, so I' a bit of a gamer. LOL.
  • Lindsay_N
    Lindsay_N Posts: 100
    Options
    Calories first. Then making sure I get my protein.
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Calories ~ Carbs~ Fat ~ Protein ~ Fiber ~ Calcium

Calories for obvious reasons, carbs and protein because I do better with lower carb, higher protein, Fiber because it regulates me and Calcium because my doctor recommended a certain amount daily.
  • rockabillywife
    Options
    My focus is Calories. I have found that when I focus on keeping my Cals low, that carbs, fat, sugar and sodium stay low just because I am focused on eating healthily. My Cal intake is meant to be 1570 a day, but I am finding because I am eating healthy that I struggle to hit the 1570 and end up sitting on around 1200-1300 a day. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean that weight falls off, it just means I eat alot with minimal Cals.