Has anyone been able to lose weight without exercise?

Options
124»

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Link below to video that shows you only need to exercise 12 mins a week or 4 times a week for only 3 mins. Exercise is also not limited to going to the gym. You can get it from cleaning your home, walking, and just standing up all day long. If you never sat down in the chair, you'd burn an extra 500 calories a day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQSzx0ofto
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 20 pounds a couple years ago with just occasional walking. I eventually lost motivation and gained back about 6 or 7 pounds. I started on MFP a year ago, and really got into exercise this time, and that really made it a real life changer for me. I love to exercise now, plus I get to eat a lot more! If walking is all you can do right, now, it will certainly be a big benefit. I would encourage you to do more if you can. I started with the 30 day shred, then ripped in 30, both DVD workouts that you can do in 20-30 min at home, and then got into running and kettlebells. Again, things I can do at home, that don't have to take much time at all.
  • waytogoraus
    Options
    I lost the first 60 of the 100 pounds that I've lost without exercise. If you stay under your daily calorie allotment you should be fine. Obviously exercise would only help you out. Working out adds a whole other level of fitness that you can't achieve with dieting alone. Dieting made me thinner, but exercise made it easier to breathe, helped my balance, and toned my whole body. I guess it depends on what you want your end results to be.
  • Amlong1977
    Amlong1977 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I started at 314. I lost my first 60 lbs without exercise. When I started to slow down I started exercising. I'm fanatical about it now. I've been on a 1200 calorie limit the whole time. If you need encouragement feel free to add me. :)
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Yes. But frankly, it's just so MUCH less effort to do an hour of cardio a day, than to constantly stress about whether or not a serving of cookies is going to undo a week's worth of dieting.

SERIOUSLY.

:laugh:

I just ran four miles and burned around 500 calories. My dinner consisted of a healthy choice cafe steamer, protein shake, and some yogurt... 610 calories. I can tell you, the run required considerably more effort.

It's far, far easier to cut 500 calories per day from your diet than to add 500 calories of exercise. But the benefits of even moderate exercise are significant.
  • bpyoyo
    bpyoyo Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Right now I'm mainly relying on counting calories and healthy eating as I can hardly do anything because of knee problems, but as that improves I hope to crank my exercise leve right up.....small steps and all that!

You can lose with knee problems and no other exercise than physical therapy. At least, for me I did. Multiple times (have had 8 knee surgeries). The last *knock on wood* surgery required INTENSIVE physical therapy, I as at the PT clinic 8 hrs a day for 5 weeks with only 30 min of non exercise. But, point being, physical therapy exercise counts as exercise and it's healing your knee.

Good luck with your knee, knee problems suck!
  • momof4greatkids1
    momof4greatkids1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Absolutely yes, you can lose weight without exercise, if the math works......your calories consumed must be less than the calories you expend. The walking will definitely help speed the process. Your overall health will be better if you include exercise, and 30 minutes of walking fits the bill. You will do well!
  • kentmac
    kentmac Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yes, weight loss takes place 90% in the kitchen, 10% in the gym!

However, if you're wanting to look good naked, you need some muscle to show off once the fat's all gone... for that, you're gonna have to exercise.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am not going to be able to do much exercise other than maybe walking 30 mins a day at a moderate pace. Do you think that this will be sufficient enough for me to still be able to lose weight? Should I decrease my calories or carbs or something? HELP!!!

A daily 30 minute walk IS exercise. You need to get your head around that you ARE exercising when you walk. Walking is great exercise for the mind and body - fresh air and motion is good stuff. Low impact so you are being gently on your joints. Use MFP and log your food and keep up your 30 min walk and you should see an overall improvement in you. You don't have to shred it up or pump iron until you are dizzy if it doesn't fit for you.

Doing something is heaps better than doing nothing.
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Of course it’s possible. When it comes to shedding pounds, it is what we eat that counts most. I lost 91 pounds by changing what I eat. Physical activity (unless done vigorously like a professional athlete) is a minor component to the economy of weight loss. Exercise is great for our physical health and state of mind, but it has a small effect on weight loss.
  • amberlynnsinspired
    amberlynnsinspired Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight without a second of exercises.
  • Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump to remember to read this great thread
  • ashleydmassey
    ashleydmassey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I would say, do the moderate walking 30 minutes a day. That is all I did at first. That is all I aimed for at first. But be sure you are getting your heart rate up. The reason I say go for it is, from personal experience once you really breakthrough doing that and you start feeling better, there seems to be a natural desire to work more and work harder. You might decide to turn that into a run for 30 minutes. But don't pressure yourself to think you have to at this point because then you will be looking at the big picture and you might decide it's not worth it to even walk. A lot of people fail because they only see the big picture and fear sets in. You really have to be sure you are setting yourself up to succeed with how you eat though. That seems to be the most assured way to shred the pounds. Exercise gets your body (inside and outside) in shape and also is the primary key to maintain later on. So I would do "something" over "nothing".

Good luck!
  • cds_momto3
    cds_momto3 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm not exercising at the moment, at least not regularly. I'm just being vigilant with my diet and drinking a TON of water. I work full time, teach a night class at a university, and have three kids (one is a 5-month-old)... so free time is virtually nonexistent. I figure that down the road if I start to plateau I'll reevaluate and try then to fit in exercising to boost my weight loss. But as long as the dieting alone is working, I'm going to stick with exercising occasionally when I have the chance. I don't think it has to be all or nothing... or most of us would never accomplish any weight loss! Do the most you can, which is always going to be better than doing nothing. :)