WHY isn't BIGGEST LOSER back on this year?

Options
2»

Replies

• hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Because it's worn out its welcome. After the rediculousness of last season (I stopped watching after the fourth episode), I wouldn't mind if they didn't do the show any more. yes, the product placement is also rediculous. The gum, Jennie-O Turkey, Subway, Jell-o and whatnot.
  • babyxblue101
    Options
    starts back up sometime in january
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    They switched to a new production team a couple of years ago (I think) and it hasn't been a good move for them. From what I remember reading awhile ago, they took some time off to revamp. I'm not loving the teenage aspect, but it will be an addition to the show, not the whole show.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Yuck...teenagers??? I'm out.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Because Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition is better? At least I think it is. It's much more inspiring to me than Biggest Loser. :)

Agreed :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    They're completely redoing biggest loser next year. Instead of adults, it's gonna be teenagers - and Jillian Michaels is coming back!!

They're not going to have the weigh ins and the competition like we're used to - instead it's going to be more focused on combatting childhood obesity through more activity, etc.

At least that's what I read online - you should be able to google it to learn more!

I hope this isn't serious.

Instead of screwing up adults they are going to give a bunch of teens new eating disorders?

Great...

My understanding of what I read is that each team will have at least one player between the ages of 13 and 17. The teenagers will NOT be eligible for elimination though.

Ohhhh, I see!!! You're right. I personally think that's kind of cool! How is promoting healthy lifestyle promoting eating disorders??

Eating 1000 calories a day and exercising 4 hours a day isn't an eating disorder? :huh:
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    They're completely redoing biggest loser next year. Instead of adults, it's gonna be teenagers - and Jillian Michaels is coming back!!

They're not going to have the weigh ins and the competition like we're used to - instead it's going to be more focused on combatting childhood obesity through more activity, etc.

At least that's what I read online - you should be able to google it to learn more!

Instead of screwing up adults they are going to give a bunch of teens new eating disorders?

Great...

My understanding of what I read is that each team will have at least one player between the ages of 13 and 17. The teenagers will NOT be eligible for elimination though.

Ohhhh, I see!!! You're right. I personally think that's kind of cool! How is promoting healthy lifestyle promoting eating disorders??

Eating 1000 calories a day and exercising 4 hours a day isn't an eating disorder? :huh:

I think there's a thorough possibility that the 1000 calorie comment is being blown out of proportion. There's also a possibility that it's true. I don't think there's any way that any of us could know. It just sounds to me like they're not going to be pushing the kids to those limits anyway - it sounds like they just want to get them more active...if that's the case, I don't think it's promoting an eating disorder at all. If they really are forcing the kids to eat nothing and kill themselves in the gym, yes, that's messed up - but again, no way to know.
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Read this if you want to know what Big Loser is all about, and you can read all about how your heroes Bob and Jillian have their contestants dehydrate themselves and go to such extremes that they develop eating disorders to win for their team. These trainers should be banned from the profession. Hell, Caroline Rhea was the only one to stand up for the contestants and she was sacked for it. http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/ Great read.

Hmmm....interesting interview. Although there were quite a few glaring things in there that didn't quite ring true. Apparently she has emails from other former contestants that agree with her but are too afraid to come forward....ummm....ok? Where are these emails? She is willing to risk lawsuits from the show by speaking up, but won't produce anything to back up her claims?

And also this comment:
    I guess that 95% of the contestants start off one person and end up a different one at the end. And it’s because they believe that being thin will make all my dreams come true. [But] your mortgage is the same if you weigh 144 or if you weigh 268. You’re either happy with your life or you’re not.

I totally don't agree with this statement. I've lost 166 pounds in 18 months, and my family and friends can tell you I am a totally different person. I was NOT happy with my life when I weighed 436 pounds. I am happier with my life now that I am physically able to do things I enjoy, and be with the people I love. My personality (moods) have changed, and I have a brighter outlook on life, and it's not because I felt like being thin would make all my dreams come true.

It is just a TV show, and people need to look at it that way. There are good basic core ideas: Eat healthy, exercise, and deal with your personal crap that may be holding you back. It's not for everyone, but I get inspired by it and Extreme Makeover Weight loss edition.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

Great...

I think there's a thorough possibility that the 1000 calorie comment is being blown out of proportion. There's also a possibility that it's true. I don't think there's any way that any of us could know. It just sounds to me like they're not going to be pushing the kids to those limits anyway - it sounds like they just want to get them more active...if that's the case, I don't think it's promoting an eating disorder at all. If they really are forcing the kids to eat nothing and kill themselves in the gym, yes, that's messed up - but again, no way to know.

No, it's true.
    I have a friend who was on the Australian version..
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options

Great...

No, it's true.

Well that sucks. A TV show shouldn't sacrifice individuals even if it does inspire thousands upon thousands of people :-/
  • andriaxo26
    Options
    Because Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition is better? At least I think it is. It's much more inspiring to me than Biggest Loser. :)

That's exactly what I was thinking as I read the topic! Chris Powell is amazingly kind and motivational.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

Great...

No, it's true.

Well that sucks. A TV show shouldn't sacrifice individuals even if it does inspire thousands upon thousands of people :-/

Yup. There was also a meet and greet/interviews with the aus ones in my town and they said that 30% keep it off for one year or more.. think of that.. ONLY 30%!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

That's exactly what I was thinking as I read the topic! Chris Powell is amazingly kind and motivational.

He's such a great guy and very easy on the eyes too. You get to know the individual as they go through the process, which makes it more powerful I think. :)
  • gma8903
    gma8903 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    They announced a few months ago that they will be on in January. Jillian will be joining them.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I think you can see some of them in these debates???? Hah! Just a joke...dont' take it seriously. Actually, I thought a great TV show hosted by Ty Pennington & Kirsty Alley would be "Dancing with the Biggest Loser for an Extreme Makeover". :laugh:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Teenagers? That's going to ruin a hobby of the people I work with. They used to make bets at the beginning of the seasons for which women would end up being the hottest. Now they would just look like raging pedobears doing that.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Seems like last year it started in December...