NEED VEGGIE ADVICE!!!

Options
So I have been doing great eating right but my one problem is with veggies!! I can eat carrots, corn, green beans, stuff like that but when it comes to widening my variety I fail miserably. Just tried eating some steamed broccili and I couldn't finish it, it just has no taste ugh!! How can I incorporate new veggies into my diet because I really want to just want them to taste good!! lol Advice plz!!

Replies

• MeABride2B
    Options
    Have you tried to stirfry with a bit of a simple sauce (less than a tablespoon with a bit of water is usually fine)?
    You can get a ton in that way.

Also- another easy way is to make sure you are eating a salad a day.

I'm NOT a veggie girl- so I feel you pain.
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Have you tried spaghetti or butternut squash. Totally Yummy. Just cut in half, de-seed and bake fleshside down on a cookie sheet. Yummmm. How about zucchini.
  • linnyc1981
    linnyc1981 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    you can hide your vegies in lots of things, like making a spaghetti sauce and not using as much mince and add some carrot, zucchini, lentils etc.
    you can hide them in lots of tomato based sauces.
    Look up kids websites, they have lots of recipe ideas for hiding vegies in healthy food.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Also try roasting veggies. Toss them in a little olive oil (emphasis on little), put them on a baking sheet, sprinkle them with a little sea salt and bake 20-25 minutes at 425. Asparagus is incredible done this way and so are root vegetables.
  • lamoursuffit
    lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Season, season, season.

I mean that both in terms of time of year and the stuff you put on food.

Try veggies that are in season--a quick google search will help that.

Also, don't be afraid to season it! Unless you're on a low-sodium diet, you shouldn't be afraid of a little salt! Hell, they even make salt for people that do have a low sodium diet! Try cauliflower. Brussel sprouts are just freaking delicious. You can boil, pan sear, bake, roast, the options are practically limitless! I also really love spinach, both raw and cooked, though I would go with baby spinach if you are eating it raw. Kale chips are amazing. Baby carrots boiled, drained and then mixed with like a tsp or 2 of brown sugar is DELICIOUS if you're not overly worried about sugar. Avocado is really good with like, everything. Cut it up, put a little salt and pepper on top, good to go.
  • stephaniec78
    stephaniec78 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Definitely try different types of squash. My favorites are butternut, zucchini, spaghetti, and summer yellow squash. Butternut squash is great roasted or mashed.

I also do a chicken stir fry that has snow peas, zucchini, red bell peppers, and onions.

As far a broccoli I am not a fan of plain steamed broccoli I do like it in stir fry though.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Roast cauliflower done that way is awesome too...way better than boiled/steamed
  • mommy_03
    mommy_03 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I really don't care for steamed broccoli. I prefer it roasted, it gets a nutty flavor. Maybe try eating more vegetable soups, like minestrone.
  • bayoucitygirl
    bayoucitygirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I can't agree MORE with the eat things seasonally! also, if possible go with a local provider :D
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Roast them!!!! It makes everything yummy. 425 for 15 min with a bit of EVOO and garlic if you want.
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    GARLIC

Unless you have a huge aversion to it, add garlic to almost everything. Add a tbsp of stock / broth and as much garlic as you can stomach to whichever veggies you're cooking, toss them in a hot pan for a few minutes. Add a good sprinkle of salt and some cracked black pepper and ALL veggies taste good!

You can also add fresh (or dried) herbs (whichever ones you like the most... I tend to go for basil and oregano mostly) or a squeeze of lemon over things you've steamed. At least initially, don't be afraid to add very small amounts of butter / oil / broth so they're palatable. You'll get used to the taste and eventually won't need to dress them up as much. Gotta get those veggies in!
  • slenderbecky
    Options
    I second the advice to roast veggies! Everything tastes better roasted. Try cauliflower tossed in a little bit of olive oil with salt and pepper, roasted at 400 F for about 30-45 minutes. Cook until it is soft on the inside, chewy and caramelized on the outside. You can do the same thing with brussels sprouts.

I like steamed broccoli, but only if it is fresh, not from frozen. Also the baked winter squash...yum! I have some butternut squash baking in the oven right now.
  • catinohio
    catinohio Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have an egg scramble most mornings, and include lots of different diced up veggies -- almost always onion, then add any others, e.g. bell peppers (red, yellow, orange, green - they each have a slightly different flavor), celery, carrots, spinach, broccoli, zucchini or yellow squash, or even frozen peas. I saute the veggies first with a little olive oil, then scramble up the eggs in a bowl or bullet & add them to tender-crisp cooked veggies, spice it up a little with salt (I use sea salt from a grinder) pepper, and, on some days, turmeric or garlic, toss a little cheese in at the end. On some days I add an ounce or two of diced beef or ham or just a sprinkle of bacon bits.
    Using different veggie combinations and spices creates variety so every day doesn't taste the same.
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    For smoothies, you can do a fruit/yogurt shake w/ handfuls of spinach and chopped cucumber.

Add veggies to spaghetti sauce, meatloaf, rice dishes, the works!

I echo the roasted veggies suggestions. If you're eating sandwiches, there are some great veggie sandwich ideas
    EX: roasted portabella (olive oil, salt) or broiled orange yams w/ feta, raw spinach, red onions, cilantro and chopped black olives on a crusty roll.

• shapeup6
    shapeup6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea of roasting veggies. Asparagus and broccoli taste delicious roasted. I also agree with garlic..and maybe some lemon juice. I bake my tomatoes with some pepper and basil on top. Have you tried kale? You bake it in the oven with some olive oil (I use the spray) and some pepper/salt/garlic. Google kale chips. They are so good!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm another advocate for roasting vegetables. You can do an entire pan with a teaspoon of oil. Green beans, broccoli, and asparagus are my favorite but i will roast just about anything. Add salt and pepper and any spices you like. Garlic is good but you have to be careful not to burn it if you have a longer cooking time. So good!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I love broccoli but not plain! I agree with others - roast it with a little olive oil and garlic powder in the oven until it starts to brown a little. I also love mashed cauliflower but it takes awhile to make. You have to boil it until soft, drain the water out, pat dry (VERY well - get all the water out), then toss in a food processor with cream cheese and butter to taste. Add salt, pepper and chives, and it's like a heavenly mashed potatoes replacement. My husband loves it!

Broccoli soup is also a great way to get your veggies, and is so delicious.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I love to saute vegetables with olive oil,garlic,add a bit of Romano cheese,or fresh lemon. You can hide alot of vegetables in soup and it tastes good. I make a Turkey vegetable soup:

93% lean ground turkey,cooked,seasoned and drained
    low sodium /low fat chicken broth 1 1/2 cups
    28oz. tomato puree
    2-3 cups of purified water,add more if you would like to consistency
    1 1/2 cups fresh spinach
    2-3 garlic cloves minced
    1 red pepper diced
    1 green bell pepper diced
    raw broccoli/slaw mix,no sauce,just veggies1/2 bag
    1/2 red onion diced
    2 fresh basil leaves
    Cook on low for 1hr.
    Enjoy!:):happy:
  • ilovemaisy
    Options
    Broccoli and cauliflower give me stomach aches, otherwise I would eat them happily. I love all veggies.

Snow peas are great.

Lima beans?

Raw red/gree/yellow peppers with hummus as a dip?