Runners - 5K prep help needed

Options
I am working my way through a C25K program (Get Running app for the iPhone). I am on target to finish by Halloween and signed up to run a 5K in early November. But the trouble is, I really don't feel quite ready yet. I have not been able to finish the longer runs (2o minutes continuous running is as long as I have made it). The schedule under the app is to run then have 3 rest days so I feel like I am not getting in much "practice."

Anyone have any advice for what I can do for the next two weeks to ramp up my prep work - should I run every other day? Do long walks on my rest days?

Thanks!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Try running every other day and doing some weight training on the inbetween days. Find something that uses different muscles for your rest days. Don't worry if you can't run the whole 5K. Lots of people take walk breaks or do races/runs with intentional run/walk intervals, even marathoners.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I always run every other day. I had never ran more than 25 minutes before I did my first 5K, in 43 minutes. Once you are there, it is different.
  • marymack427
    marymack427 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would try running every other day and walking on your off days. I bet you are more ready than you think, look at how far you have come!! It's ok to walk during the 5k too, especially your first one. Just trust your body and have fun! :smile:
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't run more than every other day, but I also wouldn't stress too much about being "ready" for your 5k: you'll be as ready as you are, you'll kick some serious a**, have a great time, run as much as you can and maybe have to walk a little and get fired up to sign up for your next one so you can't beat your previous time! I did my first 5k halfway through the program, ended up walking about 40% of it but had a BLAST and was so proud of myself for running as much as I did. Now I'm getting ready for my second 10k less than 6 months later! So sure, add a few extra days if you want to and you think your body can handle it but I wouldn't worry too much about the elusive readiness.
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I run every other day, and I also tack on a 1-3 mile walk after I'm done running--no matter the distance. Today, 2.5 mile run, then 2.25 mile walk. This weekend, 5 mile run, and I'll probably tack on a 3 mile walk at the end.

Race day is different. There's energy and people around you, and if it's a good race, people cheering you on. Plus a good portion of running is mental. Just keep telling yourself that you can do it, and your body will follow suit. As soon as your mind thinks "i'm bored, I'm tired, etc." you start to feel more tired--true story.
  • tjmist
    tjmist Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a 5k too, and set my goal today to run the whole thing without walking. Right now I can run the first 2.75 miles, take .1 off, and then run the remaining 2.85-3.1 with a time of 31:29. Today was the day I was supposed to do the whole 3.1 but unfortunately I timed everything wrong and ended up doing the same thing I had before, taking a break at 2.75. I was so mad at myself, so what I decided to do was run a 10k instead. I did the 5k with my usual training, but once I hit 3.1 I kept going. I took a lot more walking breaks to make it to 6.2 and my overall pace per mile definitely slowed, but in a way I turned today's failure into another sort of achievement, I've never run for more than an hour before (or anything close to that) On the days you can't run the whole way without walking maybe push yourself in other ways? I'm hoping that ultimately it'll pay off because it'll increase my endurance to go farther distances. My thought is that by doing this, come 5k day 3.1 miles will feel like nothing! Good luck with your 5k! Also, everyone I've spoken to says once you're out there your adrenaline kicks in and gives you an extra boost!
  • AngelofMusic13
    AngelofMusic13 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I completed couch to 5k a few months ago. I ran by time and not distance when I was doing the program, so definitely was not up to 5k by the end. Lucky for me, my first 5k wasn't for 2 week after my last week of C25K and I was able to pick up the distance then. It also helps if you have a friend running with you- that got me through it with a very good (for me) time :)

No matter what, do your best and be proud of how much you've accomplished. I'm sure you'll do great!