Seeking low sugar, high protein convenient breakfasts

Options
kcb1027
kcb1027 Posts: 13 Member
Hi all,

Kinda new here & loving all the info on these boards, was hoping I could seek out your collective wisdom for some breakfast ideas. My requirements are: 1) not too much sugar 2) a significant amount of protein & fiber to be filling, and 3) vegetarian.

I leave for work at 5am and tend to rush out the door; I either eat something quickly on the way out or grab something I can eat on the train. Lately that has been a travel mug of coffee with soy milk and a Clif bar, but the Clif bars are contributing WAY too much sugar to my daily intake. Also, they are expensive and I don't like the idea of eating something processed/from a package every morning.

I have switched to making a batch of hardboiled eggs at the beginning of the week and having one or two with a banana for breakfast, but I am starting to get REALLY sick of eggs. I mix it up with Kashi Go Lean for fiber and protein, but that also blows my sugar budget for the day.

So does anyone have any suggestions? Especially something I could make in bulk on the weekend and store in single servings in the fridge or freezer?

Replies

• nicholasdupuis
    nicholasdupuis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for another type of protein bar, ISS Oh Yeah! bars (the smaller 45g one) has 180cal, 5g sugar, 15g protein, 17g carbs, and 7g fat, and they taste great.

Alternatively, I like to make protein pancakes, they take a little time, but I use 1/3 cup Bisquick Heart Smart, 1 egg white, 3 oz milk, and 3/4 scoop whey protein. Adds up to 300cal/3.6 fat/36 carbs/8.7g sugar/29g protein
  • Ajasper83
    Ajasper83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I generally do a quick smoothie of unsweetened almond milk, greek yogurt, protein powder and maybe a little peanut butter. It takes just a couple of minutes to make and is packed with protein and little sugar. Or you could just do the greek yogurt by itself.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I could live off these

Oatmeal pancakes

6 egg whites
    1 cup cottage cheese lite or normal
    1 cup oatmeal
    2 tsp sugar or stevia
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon

Put all in blender and process until smooth. Makes about 8 pancakes, using 1/4 cup of batter per pancake
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I pre-make 5 smoothies on Sunday to get me through the week...staples are greek yogurt (plain--high in protein and low in sugar), almond or soy milk, ground flax seed, and spinach. I switch up the other ingredients--pb2 powder and banana, or frozen fruit of any variety, usually containing some types of berries. I do add protein powder as well, but have yet to find a good vegetarian one that isn't loaded with sodium.

Edited to add, I put the ingredients in a cup for each day and keep the cups in the fridge, then take a few seconds each morning to dump them in the blender with some ice, blend, and transfer back to the cup. You can get those travel-cup blenders--I actually have a Ninja with 3 personal blender cups, so I only have to transfer 2 days. It is really slick and easy!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I have been making this in the mornings:
    scrambled egg with cheese
    steamed squash, seasoned
    diced avo, tomato and purple onion

In addition, a serving of plain nonfat greek yogurt sweetened with stevia.

Lotsa protein, like over 30g
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I could live off these

Oatmeal pancakes

6 egg whites
    1 cup oatmeal
    2 tsp sugar or stevia
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon

Put all in blender and process until smooth. Makes about 8 pancakes, using 1/4 cup of batter per pancake
    hm...these sound interesting.. thanks! :)
  • cre8inmee
    cre8inmee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh Think Thin bars are tremendous. 12 different flavors, though white chocolate and creamy peanut butter are my favs, 0g sugar and 20 g protein. I usually love something with more bulk in the AM, but they are are filling if you are not dependant on them all the time.
  • cre8inmee
    cre8inmee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bananas and fruit are full of sugar, bananas especially. Berries, less so. I know it's "healthy" sugar, but my body doesn't do well with any.
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    Fage 0% yogurt and Kashi GoLean cereal with some berries if it's low enough in sugar.
  • blackbirdblue
    blackbirdblue Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make a big fritatta with a bunch of veggies every week and just eat a piece every day. I know you said you are getting sick of eggs but I think that having a variety of veggies (and meats in my case) makes a big difference, you can also add some cooked sweet potato or squash for some extra complex carbs without a bunch of sugar.
  • Dreajewkes
    Options
    Idea #1 I like to make toad in a hole (I know some people have different names for it) You take and cut a hole in the middle of your bread remove the inside, spray both sides with non-stick spray (crisco butter flavor is one of my favorites) place in frying pan. Then crack an egg and put it in the middle of the bread, cook and then flip.

Idea #2 Crack two eggs (or one egg yoke and two egg whites), Place in bowl and whisk. Heat pan then proceed to make an omelet. For the inside use mozzarella cheese, sliced tomatoes salt and pepper and oregano.

Idea#3 Cottage cheese and fresh fruit

Idea#4 Greek yogurt (has more protein than regular yogurt)

Idea#5 Peanut butter or almond butter with celery sticks.

Idea#5 Almonds- easy to grab on the go you can make a trail mix with it

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I scramble one egg with 3/4 cup liquid egg whites and I have it with 1 or 2 slices of toast with cottage cheese on them... depends how many calories I plan to eat for the day.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Oatmeal pancakes

6 egg whites
    1 cup oatmeal
    2 tsp sugar or stevia
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon

Sounds tasty! And bump to see what others say.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    Pancakes freeze and microwave well, too!
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I know you said you're tired of eggs, but just in case:

theyummylife.com make ahead healthy egg mcmuffin copycats -- if you're lacto/ovo then just leave out the canadian bacon,

It only takes a little while to make a dozen, they freeze and re-heat well, and they taste good.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    Leftovers from dinner work. Or what about some lentil or split pea or black bean soup?

Smoothies can be awesome,.In a pinch, or when not feeling well enough to bother, I Just stir whey protein into my (not too hot) coffee.

Oat and flaxseed meal porridge or muffins (old-fashioned NOT cake-like) can work -- the flax gives a little staying power. Add protein powder for the win.

There are lots of recipes for crustless quiche, which works well in muffin cups. Egg or tofu, they travel well.

A wrap with guacamole or hummus, a big handful of greens, and a chunk of marinated tofu or something can be nice.
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I usually have a smoothie. Protein powder, a small amount of frozen berries (a lot less calorie/sugar-dense than a banana), a bit of plain full-fat yogurt (low fat just has corn starch and/or corn syrup added), and cold water. Sometimes I add a handful of spinach, and usually a little scoop of chia seeds, mostly for the calcium (getting all your calcium from dairy is another way to end up with a whole lot of sugar in your diet).

Other than that, when I'm more ambitious I make all different kinds of eggs. Scrambled, fried, boiled, frittata, quiche...
  • MCproptart
    MCproptart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Kashi makes a yummy caramel protein bar. Fruit on the bottom yogurt can be good.
  • thinby40
    thinby40 Posts: 113
    Options
    Definitely have protein in the morning to fill you up. I like to have lite whole wheat english muffin w/ peanut butter or plain/vanilla greek yogurt. i add my own fruit to it since the ones that contain fruit are high in sugar. When I have more time, I like to make egg beater omelets and add spinach, mushrooms alonw w/ wheat toast. Protein shakes are also quick and fillling just watch the sugar and carbs.
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Also, nothing wrong with a nice bowl of salad for breakfast. Easy to make the night before. Use lots of nuts or seeds, cheese, and berries or a chopped apple to make it a serious meal.