75 lbs down, 50 to 75 more to go (with pics!)

Options
I finally had some pictures taken today and was SHOCKED to see how far I've come. Now I get why people look so surprised when they see me!

In January 2011, my young (26) cousin died of complications from Bulimia. I didn't know her well, was just beginning to get to know her and find out what an awesome person she was, and never would have guessed that someone as beautiful and healthy-looking as her had such a serious problem. I had struggled with eating disorders and dieting and weight gain as long as I can remember, but it never occurred to me that it might be something I shared with her. One difference between her and I was that when I was about 18, after about 12 years of diets and frustration, I quit dieting and weighing and deciding my value and happiness based on what I had eaten or what the scale said... or I tried to. I don't think I have what it takes to really put all that completely behind me. But I had never been more miserable than when I was "less fat" (never was thin). Happiness was growing out of learning to love myself at whatever size I got to be.

But I was gradually getting less healthy as I got older and my weight stayed between 280 and 310. That is what I weighed for most of the last 20 years. I periodically would exercise for a while, drop a few pounds, and then get injured or something and my progress would stall and stop and reverse. I was recovering from an injury when my cousin died and I finally accepted that I was never going to be a normal sized person and I needed to fully accept myself at the size I was... or maybe even larger. The options seemed to be either more OCD eating-disordered living, or injuries in attempts at healthier lifestyle, or acceptance and better mental health with declining physical health.

Then last November my family attended a fundraiser for a woman whose children go to school with my children. She is battling repeated bouts with cancer and her best friend organized an amazing fundraiser to help with her medical expenses. There was a raffle and my husband and I dropped tickets into all the buckets for the different prizes. We won two things: a $25 gift card to a Greek bakery (which we still haven't used) and two 1-month passes to a local gym, including a consultation and workout with a personal trainer. Mid December we took the plunge and walked into the gym, and mid January we met with the trainer.

My trainer asked what my goals were. He was asking specifically about weight loss goals. I wasn't willing to set any goals like that because I was certain I would never meet them, and still working on self acceptance. I told him I had 3 goals: to not get injured, to weigh less at the end of the year than I did at the beginning, and to show up.

Even that overwhelmed me. There were a couple of times on the exercise bike that I was glad I sweating so much that no one could tell I was crying. I wasn’t depressed exactly, just facing up to my fears and my low expectations.

With my trainer, Christian’s help figuring out what to do in the gym wasn't too hard. I was scared to death of a repeat of middle school gym class or something like that... or that I would be asked to do things I simply couldn't do... I expected it to be impossible. But he worked with me where I was and the workouts were hard, but not impossible. I lost 7 pounds pretty quickly, but still wouldn't allow myself to be hopeful.
While it seemed to me that my diet wasn't awful, it was random. I wanted to know how much I was eating and what I was doing right and wrong. That's when I found MFP!! I LOVE MFP!!

I haven't followed a special diet, but logging every day, very carefully, and measuring everything, allowed me to get a true picture of what I was eating and helped me to make healthy modifications.

However, I want to be clear that I lost this weight by being ALMOST PATHOLOGICALLY IMPERFECT!

Part of my self acceptance, and commitment to not being miserable and mentally ill, was that I wasn't willing to decide my happiness or success by the scale or by how little I ate. I wanted to make manageable lifestyle changes and I could see myself living with, happily, for the rest of my life. I'm not a big fan of exercise, so committing to that is already a pretty big lifestyle change, and it sucks up a good bit of my patience. Restrictive dieting was just not something I was/am willing to do.

But I like healthy foods, close to their natural states, and with a few exceptions (donuts and birthday cake) I'm not a fan of processed foods. So I decided I needed to lead with that, quit taking short cuts at drive thrus, and eat according to my values (clean eating)

Now if you were to look over my food diary, you would see I make what might be considered a "bad decision" almost every day. Last week felt like one long bad decision. I bet I could have lost 100 pounds by now if I'd followed "the rules". I've never been good at following rules. All plans are just my plan from which to deviate... a list of what I'm probably NOT going to do. :)

Somewhere around 40 pounds lost I began to think this time might be a little different than my efforts in the past. Passing 50 pounds brought me my first real glimmers of hope. Passing 70 pounds has left me struggling with who I am as a new person!

I really needed motivation today. I'm just not feeling it. So I decided to finally get new pictures taken and let myself look at the ones I had from before... I never actually looked at them. NOW I have my motivation back! I can see what I've done and I'm so ready to keep going!! I have a long way to go, but I not just hopeful, I can actually see how it could happen! I think I can do this!

So here are my pictures from the twilight zone:

16618372_4644.jpg
Feb 2012, after losing about 10 pounds (about 294 pounds)

16618372_4963.jpg
Feb 2012, after losing about 10 pounds (about 294 pounds)

16618372_28.jpg
July 2012, after losing about 40 pounds (about 264)

16618372_9992.jpg
July 2012, after losing about 40 pounds (about 264)

16618372_4885.jpg
Me, today, October 15, 2012, after losing about 75 pounds and about 40% of my butt!!!

16618372_1847.jpg
October 15, 2012, 229 pounds

16618372_4270.jpg
October 15, 2012, 229 pounds

Replies

• heather_huggins
    heather_huggins Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    congratulations! that is amazing!!
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look fabulous.
  • bymyslf892
    bymyslf892 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    WOW! you definitely look amazing! Great work!
  • kdcaba
    kdcaba Posts: 2
    Options
    You must be feeling more and more empowered! You look absolutely wonderful.
  • dianniejt
    dianniejt Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! Keep it up
  • dianesc67
    dianesc67 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!! Congrats!!!!
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You look great! And I love how you told your story. Keep being true to yourself, it's working for you.
  • cunnine
    cunnine Posts: 52
    Options
    You look great, can really see the difference. Great job. Look forward to your next set of pics.
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job, your looking great.
  • InPieces3
    InPieces3 Posts: 215
    Options
    You know what I love most about you already? You are willing to accept the fact that you are not PERFECT and *DIETS* DON'T last. I also eat what I want but I do so in moderation. No one is perfect and we are going to slip up and to be honest....I like that about this site...I find people that are not *crazy* about being perfect.
    You have come so far....and I'm SO proud of you! You look GREAT and I'm sure right now you are feeling great too! Don't get discouraged or give up...it is a slow and sometimes painful process. You have so much to gain by going slow and easy...I bet your BP is down considerably! I bet your arteries are expanding a little easier! I bet your heart is thanking you right now, not to mention your liver.

To finally say enough is a HUGE step. To actually go THROUGH with it is even bigger! You are amazing...you keep on trucking on and hey....even if you make a bad decision every day as you say, look at how far you have come even by doing that! I'm a HUGE potato and bread eater....but ya know.... I'm not giving them up completely...I'm just cutting back. I do a LOT of walking though...I'm a huge fan of going to the park, putting my ipod on (with my favorite Christian music) and I get so lost in my train of thought of music that I'm 5 miles into it! Seriously! ((of course like I said I like to walk!)) I meditate a lot too though...think about where I was and where I'm going....it helps.

Mfp is seriously what is saving my life right now....and thousands of others....this really IS the best site. :smile:

I'm rooting for you....and hey...CONGRATS on your AWESOME weight loss so far! I mean....WOW. You look great!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Ghette
    Ghette Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    :drinker: to you!
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    "ALMOST PATHOLOGICALLY IMPERFECT"

Thank you for writing this!!!
  • kathleenturner41
    Options
    I know you are proud of yourself. Keep the good pattern of health and wellness.
  • Kitkat_58
    Kitkat_58 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!! You look great!
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    congratulations, You motivated me today. Keep up the great work
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! congrats on losing 75 lbs.
  • chica23GK
    chica23GK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great job!! You look terrific :)
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    What a difference!! Great job!!
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You know what I love most about you already? You are willing to accept the fact that you are not PERFECT and *DIETS* DON'T last. I also eat what I want but I do so in moderation. No one is perfect and we are going to slip up and to be honest....I like that about this site...I find people that are not *crazy* about being perfect.
    You have come so far....and I'm SO proud of you! You look GREAT and I'm sure right now you are feeling great too! Don't get discouraged or give up...it is a slow and sometimes painful process. You have so much to gain by going slow and easy...I bet your BP is down considerably! I bet your arteries are expanding a little easier! I bet your heart is thanking you right now, not to mention your liver.

To finally say enough is a HUGE step. To actually go THROUGH with it is even bigger! You are amazing...you keep on trucking on and hey....even if you make a bad decision every day as you say, look at how far you have come even by doing that! I'm a HUGE potato and bread eater....but ya know.... I'm not giving them up completely...I'm just cutting back. I do a LOT of walking though...I'm a huge fan of going to the park, putting my ipod on (with my favorite Christian music) and I get so lost in my train of thought of music that I'm 5 miles into it! Seriously! ((of course like I said I like to walk!)) I meditate a lot too though...think about where I was and where I'm going....it helps.

Mfp is seriously what is saving my life right now....and thousands of others....this really IS the best site. :smile:

I'm rooting for you....and hey...CONGRATS on your AWESOME weight loss so far! I mean....WOW. You look great!!!! :flowerforyou:

So much of this is exactly what I was going to say!! You, my dear, are amazing!

I'm sorry to hear you struggled with eating disorder in the past, and that you lost someone special.....especially when you were just getting to know her. But I'm so glad to hear that you have such a healthy view. Great job!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! I love your philosophy and I agree with it...it sounds like it's something you can live with, being imperfect and accepting yourself while also taking good care of yourself. Great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!