I just thought of a post I haven't seen

Options
Do you have a cut off time for eating? I've tried it but if I'm hungry nobody is going to stand in front of me and the refridgerator. I will knock you down. :D

Replies

• rockabillywife
    Options
    I should, but I don't LOL.
    I occasionally wake up at midnight and have toast with jam... Bad habit I am stopping as of yesterday when I saw the scales for the first time in months!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    No cut off time for me...I look at mfp to see If i have any spare calories...If i do...party time....If I don't tough nuts, and I just go to sleep.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I try to stop eating before 9, since I've usually met my caloric needs by then, and eating before bed makes me feel bad the next day.
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My husband is CONVINCED that anything you eat after 10 pm turns straight into pure fat over night. But for me, if it's 11:30 pm and I'm hungry and I have a couple hundred calories, you better believe I'm gonna get a snack and not feel one ounce of guilt! :) Life's too short not to eat at night :P
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I reaaaaaally should b/c 99% of my "oops why did I eat that" episodes happen after 8pm.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Do you have a cut off time for eating? I've tried it but if I'm hungry nobody is going to stand in front of me and the refridgerator. I will knock you down. :D

I totally get that. I try to limit myself from eating anything after 8pm.

BUT if I'm feeling hungry at bedtime I know I won't sleep, so I will have a protein (like a yogurt) before bed.

You have to end up figuring what works for your body / schedule - - I wouldn't be able to have toast & jam before bed like Rockabillywif as I know bread makes my body retain water like crazy. It's all about tweaking as you go . . .
  • Beewallows
    Beewallows Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3263249.stm

I never thought it mattered, if you're hungry and you still have calories in your 24 hour allowance, eat up.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I keep reading that the time of day in which you eat makes no difference...which is good since I almost always eat after 10pm. My diary has a spot for "Evening" because I always eat at night. It doesn't seem to affect my weight loss at all so long as I count calories.
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    Stopping my night eating and exercising late instead was what busted my 3 week plateau after the first 20 lbs. Helped a ton, i think, anyway.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Life's too short not to eat at night :P

I completely agree wih you. :drinker:
  • DfantaBeneFIT
    Options
    It's actually pretty great for fat-loss and the metabolism to eat before bed. "Don't eat past 7pm" is a pretty old mentality.
    Your body doesnt stop processing food or stop its regular functions at night. Yes it slows down a bit but giving your body something to process at night helps to keep you "anabolic" when you sleep (using food for energy rather then glycogen and muscle).

Just something to consider!
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I generally stop eating and drinking about 2 hours before I go to bed. If I eat/drink in that time frame, I find my sleep interrupted, even if I "go" before bed! I find getting a good night's sleep very helpful ergo, no eating before bedtime :-)
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Not so much a specific cut off time, but if I'm already in bed my butt won't get up to go get something most of the time.....too much effort. I do generally snack a bit here and there throughout the evening. Occasionally I will get out of bed if I feel like I'm DYING OF HUNGER (yes, I'm being melodramatic to make a point ;), but that's not often.

I'm lucky though that unlike some I know and hear of, if I do eat closer to bed it doesn't bother my sleep or give me problems like reflux or anything.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt it matters. I eat when I'm hungry. If I plan things well enough, I don't get hungry late at night.
  • DfantaBeneFIT
    Options
    To extrapolate on this a bit i actually keep food at my bedside LOL i often times wake up between 1-3am and eat whatever it is. It's like clock work if there is food, SEARCH AND DESTROY.

It's actually pretty great for fat-loss and the metabolism to eat before bed. "Don't eat past 7pm" is a pretty old mentality.
    Your body doesnt stop processing food or stop its regular functions at night. Yes it slows down a bit but giving your body something to process at night helps to keep you "anabolic" when you sleep (using food for energy rather then glycogen and muscle).

Just something to consider!
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what time of the month it is! :laugh:

I try to cut off around 9-9:30. A lot of times it doesn't work, but I've been losing weight. Anymore, if I have to eat after 9, I'm trying to reach for something to drink or something healthier unlike my past self. I still battle every day. It's a learning experience, but you have to do what is best for you mostly. :drinker:
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Heck, if I subscribed to the "no food after 8pm" thing I wouldn't have dinner most nights. Of course, if I'm left to my own devices I have a tendency to forget to eat. I'll get involved in a game, book or surfing the web and the next thing I know it's 11pm and I haven't eaten anything since lunch. I don't like to eat a big meal just before bed, I do have a history of dealing with reflux. (Although since I've been trying to eat less processed foods I have seen a decline in the number to times I have to take antacids before bed)

So no, no cut off time here. :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Naw. The idea behind cutting off your eating is that it helps control calories. If you use MFP and log all your food, there's no reason to use any special tricks to regulate intake. Lots of old-timey diet tricks don't apply if you're accurately counting calories.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    The reason "they" say not to eat at night is because TYPICALLY people sit down in front of the TV and don't pay attention to serving size, eat snack items like chips, popcorn(the buttered kind), and ice cream. I sit down to my shows with greek yogurt, agave nectar and apple pieces. I think I'm fine;-)
  • CasablancasTX
    Options
    I've definitely already seen this topic. 90% of this board is repeats. 30 Day Shred posters are the worst offenders.