Quick Add Calories - Cheating?

Options
Do you think using Quick Add calories as cheating or is it just convenient? I think it's a way to bypass adding fat and carbs. I don't know why people use these instead of taking 2 minutes to log correctly.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I only use it when I'm logging something I don't have the info on and want to pad what I found in the database. If the calories seem low I'll throw in some quick adds.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    What does it matter?

Sometimes if I am trying to add something to my diary and it is not in the database I just quick add it if I know I am not going to be eating it frequently. Or I use it if I am trying to estimate a meal's calories that I may not know.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Do you think using Quick Add calories as cheating or is it just convenient? I think it's a way to bypass adding fat and carbs. I don't know why people use these instead of taking 2 minutes to log correctly.

You'd be only cheating yourself so why would anyone bother? We aren't here to impress others.
  • CasablancasTX
    Options
    I only use it when I'm logging something I don't have the info on and want to pad what I found in the database. If the calories seem low I'll throw in some quick adds.

That makes sense to me. You're still allowing for the other macros.
  • wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

You'd be only cheating yourself so why would anyone bother? We aren't here to impress others.

[/quote]

Exactly. The food log is not going to help unless you're honest.
  • wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Exactly. A dishonest food log is not going to help!
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

its a good tool to use when you cant find the food or are in a hurry /out to eat/on phone for logging or something.. i can count on one hand how many times ive used it and i just completed my 13th week...
    its not 'cheating'... its just one more 'tool' but should be used as needed only and not blow up the diary with it!
    not lazy either cuz faster /easier to type in what you want /having at times vs doing own math..LOL
  • lovinmomma
    Options
    I tend to add 200 quick add calories to make up for bites of my kids food or a few bites when I make food to taste it. sometimes its because its not listed and i know how many calories are in it.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    What does it bother you what other people do? It's their life and body.

I log everything and I'm obsessed. lol . But...if someone chooses the "quick calories" or whatever, I don't give a crap.
  • lovinmomma
    Options
    exactly
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Ditto. And honestly, it wouldn't matter to me anyway. I don't pay attention to my macros at all.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I tend to add 200 quick add calories to make up for bites of my kids food or a few bites when I make food to taste it. sometimes its because its not listed and i know how many calories are in it.

Reminded me - I also use it when I shop at Costco - all those samples! Have to throw in a few hundred quick adds because I wouldn't even know how to track that!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I don't like to use it precisely because it misses out those macros. But there are times when I HAVE used it because I can't find something close in the database, or it's been something like a Chinese buffet where there's lots of different dishes. I usually put in my Notes what it was.

So I don't think its cheating, its a recognition that the database alone is not always enough, and it's an attempt to at least get the calories close.
  • jennifermwb
    jennifermwb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I used to use it all the time.....because I was not tracking (and did not care about) and of the macros. All I was focused on was my calories. I dropped a lot of weight back then. That was a few years back.

I had gastric bypass surgery 9 weeks ago. So now I am in reverse. I could care less about total calories. I can't get in more than 600 a day anyway....so it doesnt matter. What does matter is my protein, and every number other than the calories.

I think a person can make it work either way, it just depends on the plan they are following and what their goals are.

I dont use it because I truely need a big picture view of what I am putting into my body at this point. But I was thankfull for it back when it was usefull to me.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    never used it. I think its important to have a clear micro nutrient breakdown.
    I used to use it all the time.....because I was not tracking (and did not care about) and of the macros. All I was focused on was my calories. I dropped a lot of weight back then. That was a few years back.

I had gastric bypass surgery 9 weeks ago. So now I am in reverse. I could care less about total calories. I can't get in more than 600 a day anyway....so it doesnt matter. What does matter is my protein, and every number other than the calories.

the defence rests.
  • jennifermwb
    Options

the defence rests.

Trying to understand why exactly you quoted me on this and what your response meant. Can you please clear that up for me. Curious to know if it is because you agreed with something I said...or because you were using me as some sort of example.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

the defence rests.

Trying to understand why exactly you quoted me on this and what your response meant. Can you please clear that up for me. Curious to know if it is because you agreed with something I said...or because you were using me as some sort of example.

you have learnt that micronutrient balance is of vital importance over just counting calories alone.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I use it when I'm eating out and the restaurant gives the calorie count, but not the macro information. Or, if they do give it, but I can't find the info online later, at least I remember what the calorie count was.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

Whoa.....take it easy! Not everyone cares or needs to track fat and carbs as religiously as calories. I think you're assuming a whole lot about people who use QuickAdd (Lazy? Sneaky? I'm neither).

I'm mindful of the carbs & fat but the calories are what's really important to me at this stage. Some foods/portions are not in the database and cannot be easily calculated, just estimated.

So you're one of those near-perfect people who knows the nutritional value of every crumb that passes your lips--great! The rest of us may not be but we're doing just fine! :smile:

P.S. It's folks with your mindset which prevent some of us from unlocking our food diaries. Again, not all of us care about perfect "micronutrient balance". We *may* care someday when we're further along on our journeys, but perhaps not now. I'm perfectly satisfied with what I eat and my weight loss and my fitness. I don't need the self-righteous judgmental attitude from a stranger.

I'm going to assume that you're probably not a self-righteous judging person, just someone who doesn't understand where someone else is coming from--and that can be fixed.
  • jennifermwb
    Options

the defence rests.

you have learnt that micronutrient balance is of vital importance over just counting calories alone.

Not at all. For ME as a post weight loss surgery patient it IS vitally important. I can no longer absorb a good percentage of what I eat....because my surgery bypassed nearly 2 feet of my intestines. So for me the micronutrients are important...and are the difference between me being healthy, or me being deathly ill in a hospital bed. The micronutrients focus for me has nothing to do with weight loss. With my surgery I will lose weight regardless. I think for the general population of people who still have normal digestive tracts counting calories alone can and does work just fine. I lost 70 pounds last time I was counting calories alone. That diet didnt fail. I failed when I stopped following it.