Why do you sweat more doing strength training than cardio ?

Options
2»

Replies

• ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Doing 5-10 minutes of strength training with resistance band gets you sweating HARD
    But 15-20 minutes of cardio gets you sweating some

This is not true for me-5 minutes into my run, I'm a sweaty mess!
  • scrapfrfun
    Options
    You could follow me around with a bucket when I do cardio and probably collect enough to water a few plants!!! I don't think I have one dry spot on my head when I am finished, it's dripping off my bangs, eyelashes, chin.....it's disgusting but does it ever feel GOOD!!!!
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    Running my *kitten* off on the treadmill makes me a sweaty mess. If you dont sweat doing cardio, youre not going hard enough... IMO.

This.

I have my elliptical set up so that there are 2 fans- one on either side, and then I crank open the windows if it is cold out, or put on the AC if it isn't. That keeps my sweat tolerable. :)
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer incorporates some intense cardio blasts into my strength training routine, so I definitely sweat more doing that than my usual cardio, which is just walking at a brisk pace. I sweat, but not like when I am doing my strength training.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may need to push yourself more on your cardio, or go for longer periods of time. I get a bit sweaty when I do strength training. My strength nights are typically about an hour long, include upper and lower body and I lift heavy/to breaking and I usually have a good sheen of sweat by the time I'm done.

But when I do cardio, I typically go for no less than 30 minutes and usually 45 minutes to an hour at a time. And I'm usually just starting to get a good sweat on by about 15 minutes into it. So if I were to only do 15-20 minutes of it, I may not see it as a particularly sweat inducing workout. But by the end of the workout I'm, literally, dripping sweat all over the place.

The only time I do cardio and don't sweat is when I'm coaching Couch to 5K. I'm coaching a woman that is about 325 and right now she's able to keep about a 12 minute mile pace on the run sections. By the end of each workout, she's soaked in sweat. But I, who normally runs about a 9:30 minute mile pace when I'm working out on my own, don't even have a bit of sweat on me since it's barely a workout at all for me. Because 12 minute miles are intense for her, but not for me.

So, either increase your intensity for the shortened period of time. Or, if you feel that your intensity is there, then maybe increase the amount of time you're working out.
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Doing 5-10 minutes of strength training with resistance band gets you sweating HARD

Do you do one right after the other? I've noticed that if I do my cardio hard, I start sweating even harder for about 10 minutes after I'm done, and I often do my strength after cardio. So it may just seem that the sweating is from strength when it is really left over from the cardio.
  • eandrsmom
    eandrsmom Posts: 119
    Options
    I could wring out my clothes after a good cardio session. If I am only half soaked, I didn't push hard enough. I get sweaty lifting too, but not nearly as bad.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I don't, personally.

My strength training is heavy weights: squats, deadlifts, etc. over 100 lbs.

My cardio is primarily spin and dance, but also road cycling and paddleboarding.

If you don't sweat buckets at a spin class, you are a unique individual.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends what type of cardio you're doing.
    High intensity cardio workouts have me sweating within 5 minutes.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I look like someone poured a bucket of water on my head after ten minutes of cardio. It depends on the person and the exercise.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Do you do one right after the other? I've noticed that if I do my cardio hard, I start sweating even harder for about 10 minutes after I'm done, and I often do my strength after cardio. So it may just seem that the sweating is from strength when it is really left over from the cardio.

Ditto, except I sweat for another half hour (and sometimes longer).
  • Medwayguy
    Options
    Prob because you are doing it in a sauna! Try the gym ;)
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I am a sweaty mess doing both - I am there to make fat cry!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

It totally depends on the type of each and the person I think. I usually sweat more with cardio, but then I rarely do light cardio. If I'm giving up my precious time I'm going to make it work for me. Also, I'm always in a cool room when doing strength, whereas sometimes I'm outside for cardio.
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    When I'm really pushing myself to make gains, I sweat a lot when I'm doing weight training. But I also sweat a lot during cardio, so who knows. :)
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I used to think I just wasn't a sweaty person when I did the elliptical and stationary bike for cardio. Now I run, and I sweat through 2 sports bras. If you're pushing yourself hard enough, you will sweat!
  • UpBeatMaria
    UpBeatMaria Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I do INSANITY pure cardio I SWEAT my *kitten* off :)
  • Medwayguy
    Options
    Just treadmill (uphill) on say a 6/7 for 5 mins and row( with resistance ) for another 5 mins.
    The muscles with receive the red cells they need to susatin.
    Pace your weights, lower weight x4 reps... 30 seconds betwwen reps... Listen to your body, it is not just your heart gives a clue, your muscles give clues also... DRINK water after each machine used. It get's hot in a workout...

ENJOY :@)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    How a person sweats is totally unique to that person and you'll drive yourself crazy trying to draw meaning from it.