Pregnancy & Exercise

Did/does anyone here exercise while pregnant other than walking? I'm just wondering what kinds of workouts you did to keep healthy and to not indulge yourself by being too lazy? Did you do light jogging instead of walking? Did you do workout DVDs just didn't push too hard? It's hard to find any forums where people weren't beginners at exercising when they were pregnant......:love:

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Typically, the advice is that you can continue to exercise at whatever level you were working at before you got pregnant.....at least in the beginning. Of course, as you get closer to your due date, you'll have to make modifications.

So, if you were already doing 30DS three times a week, you should be fine to keep doing that. Of course, ask your doctor for solid advice!!
  • spaceEF
    spaceEF Posts: 142 Member
    Typically, the advice is that you can continue to exercise at whatever level you were working at before you got pregnant.....at least in the beginning. Of course, as you get closer to your due date, you'll have to make modifications.

So, if you were already doing 30DS three times a week, you should be fine to keep doing that. Of course, ask your doctor for solid advice!!

True, of course I will ask her when I finally get in to see her. And I know people exercise while pregnant, but every darn pregnancy video or workout just seems sooooo simple and/or boring. However, I may feel like doing those types of things later on when I have a big balloon?? Who knows.

I'll just carry on as usual, but not over do it until I can talk to her and then modify as need be in the months to come!
  • 3under2
    3under2 Posts: 133
    I second the keep on doing what your doing method. Whatever you do, try to keep tight reins on the weight thing. Don't do like I did and get big as a house with my first baby. Then I was pregnant again (with twins) when she was 9 months so thought "Oh well, can't exercise". In the end, I gained WAY to much weight and have just now finally got looking good again. My twins will be 2 on next Tuesday!
    Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, I just wish someone would have told me to step away from the table and take a walk!

Congrats again by the way!

Scarlet
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    I worked out until 34 weeks when I was put on bed rest for high blood pressure. I ran between 3-5 miles daily until about 22 weeks (early December), and did strength training from 22-34. The running stopped mostly because Adirondack winters are fierce, and it became pretty dangerous for a preggo gal to run.

It wasn't pretty. Running became more of a fast walk with an awkward waddle rather than an efficient stride.

If you don't have any health issues your doc will probably tell you to proceed as you have in the past until you become uncomfortable. Just remember that your joints are loose, and it's really easy to twist an ankle. I took a nasty spill at 24 weeks in the Target parking lot - no fault of theirs - and it gave me a solid dose of reality.

Congrats!!!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    I have a friend who gave birth 2 weeks ago that ran throughout her pregnancy without any issues. She actually completed a slow HM at 8 months (with her dr's ok). She looked and felt awesome and had a great birthing experience.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    You can also look into exercise classes geared towards pregnant women in your area. For example, my cousin took a yoga class aimed at pregnant women when she was with child.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Good for you for wanting to exercise. I took my pregnancy as I can eat all I want and be a bum and it cost me almost 60lbs!
  • hazysmama
    hazysmama Posts: 15 Member
    I did Jillian Michaels 30 day shred up until I was 5 months. I did modifications but really stuck to the cardio, weights, modified abs. At 5 months I could only do 30 mins of cardio a day. The last two months were a killer (pain and exhaustion) I did prenatal yoga, walking, and slow paced elliptical 3 times a week. The key is talk to your care provider and listen to your body. Yes, I watched what I ate but I was not afraid of carbs and the occasional dessert. I gave birth last week and I am currently 7lbs above pre-pregnancy weight. I had a smooth and effortless birth (seriously. STM- but she pretty much fell out, I laboured for an hour) I feel great. According to my midwife I can be back doing cardio next week. Good Luck!
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    I was actively losing weight the First Trimester, because I didn't realize I was pregnant (I have irregular cycles and next to no morning sickness.....so no signs of pregnancy). After I found out, I toned it down, because I wasn't doing alot of activity, just mostly changing my diet. This is the first pregnancy that I have actually tried to watch what I eat and exercise. I'm hoping to build some momentum so after she is born, I won't falter and lose motivation like I did with my last pregnancy.

Don't wait until your appointment. Just go up there and say, "Hey, btw, is it ok if I continue to do ____________________ ?"

Remember, though, your body is releasing relaxing through the entire pregnancy. It's really easy for you to get off balance, fall, and injure yourself. Water based activities are great, because you have the water kind of cushioning you, so you don't really fall.

I do give in to my cravings, but I watch my portions sizes so it doesn't get too out of hand.
  • kmc2211
    kmc2211 Posts: 7 Member
    When I found out I was pregnant I was doing CT5K and Jillian NMTZ. I was not a huge runner so I dropped back to eliptical & walking/biking for cardio but kept up the NMTZ. Obviously listen to your body and to your doctors. As my belly got bigger I started to do the Perfect Pregnancy Workout DVD and the 10 Minute Solution Prenatal Pilates DVD. Both were great! I also walked until 40 weeks and took a prenatal yoga class once a week. It wasn't the hard core workouts I was used to but it was a great amount of movement that helped keep me active and I believe helped me have an easy labor. If you are cleared to continue 30DS just be careful with the jumping jacks and ab work (ask doc).

Good luck and congrats!!