Home exercise machines...?

Options
I have just started on MFP and have 73lbs to lose from a SW of 198lbs. I have a bit of an issue with my joints at the moment, I'm hoping this will ease with weight loss and I'm generally very stiff and achy through lack of moving my fat *kitten*. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best type of home exercise machine that I get which is no-impact or only light impact? I really don't have time to get to a gym so I thought I need to bring something to me.

I was thinking of an elliptical trainer for all round fitness but never really used one before.

All help greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance. xx

Replies

• genefabes
    genefabes Posts: 132
    Options
    for working out at home...I have a rack with dumbells ranging from 10lbs up to 40lbs. a rack for an EZ grip bar and straight bar with plates. and a dip station.

for cardio, I run outside.

the elliptical isn't for me..it doesn't match my natural stride and seems to hurt my joints MORE. but everyone is different. good luck!
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi ya hun,

I have a treadmill at home which is brilliant as you can just walk then build it up with either a faster pace or an incline and still watch telly - result!!

I struggle with elliptical trainers as my knees become too painful - but that is just me

Why don't you do one of these free one day passes for a local gym then try out all the equipment & see which one you like the best & think you will get the most out of - I bought the treadmill as it was my fav

Spk soon Fi xx
  • KristyR929
    Options
    I would go with either an elliptical trainer or a good exercise bike - like a spinning bike. I have a spinning bike and it's pretty easy on my joints.
  • amberforgo
    Options
    I'm no expert but i think an elliptical trainer is probably best. I had a nasty footballing injury that resulted in a operation on my ankle. I found getting back in the gym was painful. However with the elliptical trainer their was a lot less impact on my joints (mostly ankle) but i still had a good workout.

Im sure as the weight comes off you will be able to do more and more. Dont be put off and you will get there!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I'm probably not someone to go by...I have a full gym: the top of the line bow-flex (yes I know some people do not like them, but we do and it is very well used); treadmill, recumbent bike (I got this when I was hit while running and damaged my patella tendon), Bowflex dial a dumbbell (love these), various free weights, barbell, medicine ball, stability ball, jump rope, exercise bands, and a step, oh wait....and a heavy bag too (but we keep this in the garage, the rest is in the "gym").
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Before you buy an elliptical try to work out on one for a few days straight, either at a gym or at a friend's house. Ellipticals really hurt my knees a lot so I can only use them once in a while.

If you need low impact I would go with a treadmill. You can control your speed and the walking is much softer and smoother on a treadmill than walking outdoors on sidewalks.

A bike might work for you but if you have joint problems that may also create problems with your knees if you use it on a daily basis.