If You Don't Sleep, You Won't Lose Weight

Options

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to argue the credibility of the article I posted, there's no point in arguing with people do fight on forums for their enjoyment. I was simply sharing something I heard about this morning that I found interesting.

I would like to find the study directly related to the info I heard on the radio this morning.

Oh, and for those saying that "If you don't get enough sleep, you will eat more," how do you explain the correlation to weight gain and the people who got more than 8 hours of sleep every night? I don't think they were eating more because they were awake longer.

Again, correlation does not equal causation. Having more time in the day to eat is just ONE reason people could gain weight. Obviously being sleep deprived affects more then just eating habits.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I would kill right now for some sleep. In the past week 4 nights were with less than 4 hours sleep. It's really starting to mess with my head. I am so exhausted that I can't manage to work out properly and while I don't eat more I also don't move around more so I could see where it can lead to a gain in weight.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Sleep for me is usually 5-6 hours a night - much more than that and Im a groggy grouchy mess - less than that - same results - I know for me personally when Im not sleeping (occassional bouts with insomnia) that'll be when I put some weight on. More importantly for me is routine - same time to bed & same time to get up. Even on weekends I still get up at normal time - just sometimes go back to sleep for a bit. If my routine gets out of whack - so do I.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Using evolution as an argument against sleep is specious. Most children who are older than 6 months are capable of sleeping through the night. Whether they do or not has a lot to do with parenting style - something that has changed significantly in the last 50 years or so. Not a long enough time to have any effect on our evolution.

On the flip side, I know that sleep deprivation would have an inverse effect on the number of children I would choose to have, thus decreasing the chances of my genetic material being passed on.

<facepalm>

Firstly, reacting to children rather than ignoring them at night is the norm in most cultures, including co-sleeping until the child is of a reasonable age or possibly older (making the 'men dont wake in the night' thing utter nonsense)

Also, it has only been in the last 50 years or so that we have been ABLE to 'choose' before birth control and education, both modern inventions.

Thirdly i have not shot anyone down (what a horrible turn of phrase) I have given MY opinion and then answered questions directly put to me. That is not shooting anything.
    Years of sleep deprivation due to a child awakening during the night is not the norm in most cultures. In fact, it's very much isolated to ours.

BTW, while you have your face in your palm, you might want to try catching a few ZZZZZ. Sounds like you need it.
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm screwed too. 9+ years of child related interrupted sleep and still some to go. i do however go to bed early to maximise my chances of a few solid hours.
  • BakedGoodsLover
    BakedGoodsLover Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were JUST talking about this article! We love our little baby, but unfortunately, he doesn't consistently sleep through the night and therefore, my sleep is extremely irregular. But I believe it. When I don't get enough sleep - I drink more coffee and eat more food to help myself stay awake as well, not to mention I don't have as much energy to complete my usual workout...therefore my net calories for the day are higher!

Everyone - get yo' sleep on!
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Using evolution as an argument against sleep is specious. Most children who are older than 6 months are capable of sleeping through the night. Whether they do or not has a lot to do with parenting style - something that has changed significantly in the last 50 years or so. Not a long enough time to have any effect on our evolution.

On the flip side, I know that sleep deprivation would have an inverse effect on the number of children I would choose to have, thus decreasing the chances of my genetic material being passed on.

<facepalm>

Firstly, reacting to children rather than ignoring them at night is the norm in most cultures, including co-sleeping until the child is of a reasonable age or possibly older (making the 'men dont wake in the night' thing utter nonsense)

Also, it has only been in the last 50 years or so that we have been ABLE to 'choose' before birth control and education, both modern inventions.

Thirdly i have not shot anyone down (what a horrible turn of phrase) I have given MY opinion and then answered questions directly put to me. That is not shooting anything.
    Years of sleep deprivation due to a child awakening during the night is not the norm in most cultures. In fact, it's very much isolated to ours.

BTW, while you have your face in your palm, you might want to try catching a few ZZZZZ. Sounds like you need it.

Your talking nonsense.

Done much travelling have you? Lived in any other cultures? Know anything about the nature of babies? Breastfeeding?

No. Didn't think so.
  • daggs95
    daggs95 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    oh so very true. I know a lot of people who never get enough sleep and have some lbs to shed. But saw it first hand myself many years ago when I had a job that kept me from getting real sleep. Gained just from lack of sleep, (didn't have any weight issues either just suddenly had more weight from not sleeping and eating less) I called it stress fat. Everyone is different but I would say if you have anything there you don't want and you know you don't sleep 7-8 hours or its interrupted, get more sleep. Your life does depend on it.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    When I am tired I tend to reach for sugary snacks, and also find myself wanting to chill out when I get home from work, not spend time in the kitchen cooking a nutritious meal. For me personally.... this is why lack of sleep could case me to gain weight.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Your[sic] talking nonsense.

Done much travelling have you? Lived in any other cultures? Know anything about the nature of babies? Breastfeeding?

No. Didn't think so.
    Lots of travel, yes, I've lived in other cultures, have two kids of my own and breastfed both of them over two years each. And I stand by my statement that most children are fully capable of self-soothing and sleeping through the night at 6 months.

And I think that your lack of sleep is making you a bit cranky. :flowerforyou:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Your talking nonsense.

No. Didn't think so.

Wait. There are babies is other cultures? And they don't sleep eight hours every night but wake up because they're hungry?? Here I thought if I moved away I wouldn't have babies waking me up all night.
  • bigknight78
    Options
    Some interesting comments on here from alot of people.

From personal experience I used to suffer from a severe lack of sleep due to having undiagnosed sleep apnea. This was a stage in my life where I started to really pile on weight. My body wasnt getting the rest & recovery it needed which caused me to pile on body fat and limit the progress I was making in the weight room.

After I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, and started receiving treatment, giving me a full nights restful sleep my whole body composition start to change. My body fat levels reduced, and my progress in the weight room improved.

So I am an advocate for getting a good 7-9hrs sleep where possible, but that is based purely on personal experience. I maybe heavier now than before I was diagnosed, but I know my body fat % is lower, and my lean mass % is higher. The only difference between then and now is the amount of sleep I am getting.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    More hours awake = more hours to eat....
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, evolution knows what its talking about and would not have created a situation that was so harmful for us.
    Spacious. Necrosis is an evolutionary result and is rather harmful. As are most diseases.
    I would think that since everybody is different and out bodies act and react differently that each individual would be different. :/
    The special snowflake argument.
    You have not brought factual evidence either,
    MMAS is an observational cohort study of health in a population-based random sample of men
    Woops.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Your talking nonsense.

No. Didn't think so.
    Lots of travel, yes, I've lived in other cultures, have two kids of my own and breastfed both of them over two years each. And I stand by my statement that most children are fully capable of self-soothing and sleeping through the night at 6 months.

And I think that your lack of sleep is making you a bit cranky. :flowerforyou:

You seem to be reading my posts as if I am irritated, I am not, but thank you for your concern.

Babies wake frequently through the night for at least the first year in a normal, breastfed relationship. Given that our western culture is the only one to offer powdered baby cows milk to infants, rather than breastmilk, its fair to deduce that most babies in the world are given breastmilk and will therefore wake 2-4 times each night for nourishment in those circumstances. I think it is around 85% of the world who share a family bed, so all family members in one bed. Therefore it is vital that the children are attended to at night, leaving them to cry in a room with the door shut (or 'self soothe' as you so nicely put it) is not relevant in circumstances where many families live in one room, or possibly two.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    More hours awake = more hours to eat....

Also plausible, less sleep = less energy/more lethargic = lower NEAT/activity
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I know that too much sleep is bad for you. And too little sleep is bad for you. On the other hand, I'd rather sleep too much since it makes me more functional.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to argue the credibility of the article I posted, there's no point in arguing with people do fight on forums for their enjoyment.

And Chivalryder wins the irony competition...
  • whitewhisper
    Options
    I heard somewhere that your metabolism speeds up when you're asleep, same as eating breakfast can help kick start it early and having more small meals keeps it working through the day?

"A four-year joint study by the University of Wisconsin and Stanford University found that adults who regularly slept for only five hours a night increased their levels of hunger-inducing ghrelin by 14.9% and lowered their levels of appetite-suppressing leptin by 15.5%" (http://www.lifescript.com/diet-fitness/articles/0/7_secrets_to_revving_up_your_metabolism.aspx).

Getting enough sleep is important for many reasons, I don't see why everyone's getting crabby because they think their own personal experience overrides a correlation between sleep and weight loss. Nobody said it's guaranteed you'll never get diabetes if you sleep 8 hours a day.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I've never had problem with sleeping - typically 7-8 hrs a night, yet I was diabetic by age 30. So much for that study.