Different sort of NSV

Options
jrbb03092
jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
At the beginning of September I started walking at least an hour every day. In the morning, I walk my 12-yr old kidlet to the bus and then go on a 30-45 minute walk and then after school, we go on another 30 min walk together.

When we started out in September, the kidlet would complain loudly and sort of drag her heels. Then she got used to going so there were no more complaints although she wasn't exactly thrilled. But this morning...

since we missed our walk yesterday due to me having a horrible migraine - she said, are we going on our walk tonight? and when I said yes, she said "good"

:)

Replies

• em376
    em376 Posts: 5
    Options
    That is AWESOME!!!! I can't wait until mine gets to that point...right now it's all complaints, moans, and groans! Way to go, mom!
  • rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I wonder if that would work with my kids.
  • tz2187
    tz2187 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful!
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    What an awesome NSV !! Good for you getting your "kidlet" involved it will make her life healthier too :flowerforyou: :love: :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • evmoses
    evmoses Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    :smile: Congrats... on being a great role model for your "kidlet"! : )
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It's always a good thing to get your kids started. I used to walk with my mom all the time. It makes it all more interesting.
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Being the example is the best way to be. I love how they complain and moan but when we don't do what they consider normal they can't wait to do it themselves. Good on you for teaching her healthy habits!
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome! I have my 2 daughters ages 9 & 10 walk with me. At first they didn't really want to but they enjoy it now. Some days i'm like...ugh i'm so not wanting to do this but they are like let's go mom!! lol I love it! They push me when i need it.
  • janenightingale
    janenightingale Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When mine were little they would do 10 minutes of 'off road whingeing' and then just get into it. They would run ahead, come back, run ahead again and end up doin twice as much as we did!

We still walk together occasionally but without the whingeing and the running to and fro
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

Flowers for an awesome parent!
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful! Exactly why I got a family membership at the YMCA. My kids couldn't go work out at the gym with me but they can go to the YMCA! My daughter gets on the treadmill right next to me and walks! The other day, we went walking/jogging in the rain! I am trying to instill healthy values on her that were never instilled on me, which is part of the reason I am where I am at today. We are learning together!
  • JenMcCrory
    JenMcCrory Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I can't wait till mine get to that stage they're a little too young now. I would definitely use the car a lot less if they could walk more.
  • ginncjb
    ginncjb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That is great! Even if you don't do a lot of talking on those walks, the time will be great for your relationship, too. Keep it up!
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    That is great! Even if you don't do a lot of talking on those walks, the time will be great for your relationship, too. Keep it up!

Thanks guys! And actually, that's one of the bonuses. She tells me all about her day and all about her classes and friends, especially since she's just come off the bus and everything's fresh in her mind. We have a really good relationship but I have my fingers crossed that this might see it stay strong(er) through the teenage years.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!