If You Don't Sleep, You Won't Lose Weight

Options

Replies

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Your talking nonsense.

Done much travelling have you? Lived in any other cultures? Know anything about the nature of babies? Breastfeeding?

No. Didn't think so.
    Lots of travel, yes, I've lived in other cultures, have two kids of my own and breastfed both of them over two years each. And I stand by my statement that most children are fully capable of self-soothing and sleeping through the night at 6 months.

And I think that your lack of sleep is making you a bit cranky. :flowerforyou:

You seem to be reading my posts as if I am irritated, I am not, but thank you for your concern.

Babies wake frequently through the night for at least the first year in a normal, breastfed relationship. Given that our western culture is the only one to offer powdered baby cows milk to infants, rather than breastmilk, its fair to deduce that most babies in the world are given breastmilk and will therefore wake 2-4 times each night for nourishment in those circumstances. I think it is around 85% of the world who share a family bed, so all family members in one bed. Therefore it is vital that the children are attended to at night, leaving them to cry in a room with the door shut (or 'self soothe' as you so nicely put it) is not relevant in circumstances where many families live in one room, or possibly two.
    I don't know what your experience was like, but I lost less sleep when I co-slept, not more.
  • PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I need my sleep to function. When I go through bouts of insomnia I have a hard time not dropping weight due to all the other factors that come with lack of sleep, including decreased energy, increased appetite, fogginess, headaches, etc. I aim for 6-8 hours every night, and it has helped my health overall tremendously.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I believe it. I find that I consistantly weigh less on the weekends than during the week. My only guess for this is that I get a lot more sleep on the weekends.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i don't tend to agree, i slept next to nothing when I had an ED and ate next to nothing and the weight fell consistently - oh yes that also means I don't agree with starvation mode. ED is in the past I now sleep 5 to 7 hours a night and can't lose weight even on a reduced calorie and high level exercise lifestyle.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your experience was like, but I lost less sleep when I co-slept, not more.
    [/quote]

Absolutely, i totally agree with this but the idea that very young babies can sleep solidly through the night is far more like the 'detached' style of parenting than a more attached one and therefore babies would have to be out of the room all together, a child when woken in the night in a family bed, would not be able to be left to cry it out, It would wake the whole family, so generally one or both parents would wake and deal with baby.

I sort of agree that a certain amount of sleep within a 24 hour period is necessary, but i think the amount is dependent on the person and i dont think they need to be uninterrupted or all at once.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    More hours awake = more hours to eat....

Also plausible, less sleep = less energy/more lethargic = lower NEAT/activity

combine the two.....awww snap.

fat-*kitten*.jpg&sa=X&ei=gWV9UNGSLKigyAGd1oHAAQ&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEh8RlpxQwKYbUVKHZiVtYbF2ZJxw
  • CariBgood
    CariBgood Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    In my quest for weight loss I tend to agree that getting 7-8 hours sleep per night is your best bet. Since I have been making it a point to sleep at least 7 hours a night in the last few months I have felt a lot better. I am sure there are people out there who survive on less and thankfully are without issue, but for most people I would say that getting the proper amount of sleep is the better bet.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, i totally agree with this but the idea that very young babies can sleep solidly through the night is far more like the 'detached' style of parenting than a more attached one and therefore babies would have to be out of the room all together, a child when woken in the night in a family bed, would not be able to be left to cry it out, It would wake the whole family, so generally one or both parents would wake and deal with baby.

I sort of agree that a certain amount of sleep within a 24 hour period is necessary, but i think the amount is dependent on the person and i dont think they need to be uninterrupted or all at once.
    I never claimed that very young babies can sleep solidly through the night. But, at 6 months, most babies do not physically require middle of the night feedings.

Even 'attached' my kids were by-and-large sleeping through at that age and, even when they weren't, the disruption to my sleep was minimal. My point was (and is) that sleep deprivation is not a biological inevitability that evolution 'approved' of.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Getting enough sleep is important for many reasons, I don't see why everyone's getting crabby because they think their own personal experience overrides a correlation between sleep and weight loss. Nobody said it's guaranteed you'll never get diabetes if you sleep 8 hours a day.

Pretty much. I think that sleep is a single factor, among many many more, in weight loss, but to say its the sole reason why people do or don't lose weight is silly.
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    MMAS is an observational cohort study of health in a population-based random sample of men

piratesarecool4.gif

I always loved that idea/graph on the FSM site... However, the last data point for pirates is 2000, and I'm fairly certain the number of pirates has increased dramatically in the last ten years, so, unfortunately, I'm not quite sure if the correlation still holds.
  • FeebRyan
    Options

I never claimed that very young babies can sleep solidly through the night. But, at 6 months, most babies do not physically require middle of the night feedings.

Even 'attached' my kids were by-and-large sleeping through at that age and, even when they weren't, the disruption to my sleep was minimal. My point was (and is) that sleep deprivation is not a biological inevitability that evolution 'approved' of.

I'm not suggesting it approved of it, i am suggesting it accounts for it. Makes allowances for it.

Unless you live on the equator, you are going to have periods of less sleep (naturally) in the summer than the winter, yet humans store fat more in the winter than the summer!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    correlation vs. causation. Who cares?!

Even if it is just a correlation, it's still an interesting little tidbit of info that "could" help people lose weight. And considering the number of people who are looking for a quick fix or who obsess over every little macros, why not consider it?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    nonsense. I barely get 5hrs of sleep each night, all interrupted with toddler ill or baby needing feeding or so on.

This is normal for many people for many years.

Generally speaking, evolution knows what its talking about and would not have created a situation that was so harmful for us.

If you think about it, it makes sense that your metabolism would slow down, to preserve the fat you need to produce milk during this time that nature dictates.
  • FeebRyan
    Options

If you think about it, it makes sense that your metabolism would slow down, to preserve the fat you need to produce milk during this time that nature dictates.

I agree, how does that correlate though?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I agree, how does that correlate though?

The body adjusts itself to preserve itself, based on different triggers. If you are getting up in the middle of the night, you are burning energy you wouldn't normally be burning. Your body slows its metabolism so that the effects of that are minimized. A person on a calorie restricted diet and whose sleep is not sufficient I would think would have even more of a metabolic slow down. It wants to hold on to its fat storage because it believes it is going to need it based on these factors.
  • bekinator
    bekinator Posts: 103
    Options
    This is SO TRUE!!!! I'm a huge believer in sleep. I know this sounds out-there, but I can actually feel the effects of sleep on my body, and when I'm cut short, I can feel the differences: the lactic acid buildup in my muscles, the unrested process of my digestion system, my backed up blood sugar levels, and of course I drag all day, just a little cloudier than usual. But when I get massive amounts of catch-up sleep, I feel 3D again, 10# lighter & the scale definitely reflects an uplift from the day before. A little extra sleep also knocks out the onset of colds for me- like it boosts my immune system. I don't know the science behind it all but sleep for me is huge- like pushing the reset button on my body every day. I know also from experience we get better sleep when we have better diets & exercise & we sleep-aholics generally have fewer health issues... & they say we live longer but who knows...

This is all based on personal experience & intuition of course. I used to deprive myself a lot on sleep from working 3 jobs & partying a lot in my 20s. Now that I allow myself the sleep I need, I can feel a lot of differences. Funny (forgive me if it's crude) thing I recently discovered- gas will give u nightmares. Try it- drink a couple of yeasty beers before u go to bed tonite q-;
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Less than 6 a night for a prolonged period and I get very sick. More than 8 for a prolonged period and I get very lazy.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep creates undue stress on the body. Increased stress leads to higher cortisol levels. Cortisol then reduces the body's ability to use fat stores and encourages the use of glucose in the blood. This raises insulin levels. Over time, the elevated insulin levels can lead to insulin resistance and thus, type II diabetes. Simply having your blood sugar in check does not by any means mean you do not have elevated insulin.

It is possible to sleep fewer hours on some days and more on others. The body can successfully adapt to that sort of lifestyle so long as the amount of overall sleep in a 2 week period is what the body requires.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I've found out that i'm not getting enough sleep and yes, it's slowing up my progress because i'm not allowing enough time for my body to "do it's thing".
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I think you CAN still lose weight on lower sleep but getting enough sleep if you can is always the better option. More awake hours also leads to more snacking. It does for me at least. I am a total night owl and if I could, I would stay up until 3 every night and sleep in until 11. But I can't because I have to get up at 7 to take my kids to school. LOL I lost easy after I had my daughter even though I stayed up too late and she woke up a lot in the middle of the night, probably helps my kids slept with us when they were babies so all I had to do was pop out a boob and go back to sleep. Haha! I never had to actually get up and never felt super tired or anything. Weekdays I probably get only 6 hours if I go to bed by midnight or 1 but I am pretty sure that is all I need because I never feel tired. Weekends I get 9+. My poor husband has to get up for work at 5 am on weekdays, he's ALWAYS tired. He has still lost weight this past year too but doesn't feel energized.