afraid I won't be able to keep it off

Options
Hi everyone, I'm a 24 year old female and I've been a yo-yo dieter ever since I was in high school. I've lost 40+ lbs and gained it all back on 3 separate occasions. Losing weight is usually pretty easy for me because once I'm motivated, I stick to it.... Almost to a fault. I'm very neurotic and I start getting obsessive about calories.

My problem is that once I go off track, I completely give up and pig out. If I make even the slightest slip up, I'll think, oh well what's the point, and completely go back to my old ways.

I need to lose about 80 lbs to get to a healthy weight for my height. And I've started doing the Slimfast diet. I've already lost 8 lbs since I started last week, but I'm assuming most is water weight. However, I was eating horribly before, sometimes consuming 3,000 - 4,000 calories a day, without exercising.

Now I'm eating 1,200 calories a day, and doing 30 min of cardio at the gym everyday.

It feels great to see the scale go down that much after only being on plan for a week. However, I'm worried that if I lose weight too fast I'll end up gaining it all back like I have done in the past.

I feel like I'm starting to ramble here, lol. So my question is, as long as I'm eating no less than 1,200 cals a day, is it safe to lose more than 2 lbs a week, or will I most likely gain it back? I really want this to be the last time I lose this weight.

I'd really appreciate some advice/wisdom. Thank you! :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    personally i would ditch the slimfast and work on making healthy lifestyle changes and learning how to eat a balanced diet - after all you cant live on slimfast shakes for ever!

the first few weeks you will lose more than 1-2lbs per week, thats normal, and it will tail off ina few weeks, its at that point that you just need to be patient and keep your golas in mind! slow and steady wins the race!
  • histogal99
    histogal99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Maybe the reason you've regained is the plans you've chosen to lose weight with. Unless you're planning to drink Slim Fast the rest of your life, you most likely won't be able to sustain a loss? Try a more reasonable approach by eating healthier in general. The weight will be slow coming off, but you'll most likely keep it off.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I can understand where you're coming from with being neurotic and obsessive about calories; I find myself getting that way as well. It's great that you're loosing weight and exercising again! Personally, I take the lifestyle change approach and have tried to make changes in my eating and exercise that I believe I can sustain long term. So, for me, something like a Slimfast diet would not be ideal because I would not want to sustain that long term and would be worried about gaining when I stopped. You obviously have to do what works for you, but I would suggest eating a bit more than 1200, especially on days that you exercise and try to eat mostly healthy foods. I would also suggest replacing some of the cardio with strength training. For me, and many others, strength training not only helps to burn fat, but will create a more toned looking body than cardio alone.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    technically speaking, how fast you lose weight has no bearing on whether or not you will gain it back - physiologically speaking, they are two different time periods and processes.

However, psychologically, losing weight in a way that changes your habits and lifestyle is what you need to be focusing on to keep the weight off.

So, yes, if you can manage to lose weight fast and still be healthy it is OK. If you have the right personality type, you can keep off the weight even if you lose it quickly. However, you have proven to yourself many times before that you don't have that personality type, so I would recommend taking a slower, more methodical approach that focuses on changing habits.
  • GiggityGiggity88
    GiggityGiggity88 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was planning on only doing Slimfast for the first few months. The Slimfast diet is pretty structured, and this helps me stay focused. After I lose about 30-40 lbs I plan on switching to Weight Watchers.
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    I was planning on only doing Slimfast for the first couple months. The Slimfast diet is pretty structured, and this helps me stay focused. After I lose about 30-40 lbs I plan on switching to Weight Watchers.

neither of those focus on teaching you new habits. They focus on taking the money out of your wallet. Like was said before, unless you plan to eat slimfast and WW forever, you would be better off to learn healthy eating habits.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You should try losing weight at a higher calorie intake. The reason I say this is that it seems like once you fall off the wagon, you're REALLY off the wagon. Someone who eats 3000 calories a day normally is going to be miserable and feel punished on a smaller amount of calories. The smaller it is, the more it will feel like a diet. Once you finish losing the weight, it's so easy to fall back into the old habits you love.

Change your lifestyle, lose the weight slower, and don't revert to old habits when you finish. Make it a sustainable change. That's really the only way you're going to keep the weight off.
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The key is not to see your healthy efforts as a "diet," but as a "lifestyle." When you slip up on a "diet" -- well, there goes the diet, mentally-speaking, time to wallow in pizza. But when you view a slip up as simply the bad day it was, there's always tomorrow. We all have bad days; what defines us is how we shake them off, start again, and keep going.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    personally i would ditch the slimfast and work on making healthy lifestyle changes and learning how to eat a balanced diet - after all you cant live on slimfast shakes for ever!

the first few weeks you will lose more than 1-2lbs per week, thats normal, and it will tail off ina few weeks, its at that point that you just need to be patient and keep your golas in mind! slow and steady wins the race!

^This 100% Diets don't work. It needs to be a lifestyle change. You would be better off eating a Snickers and a protein shake than drinking a slim fast. They're junk IMHO.

Count calories, burn more calories than you consume, eat a balanced diet with lots of protein and healthy fats, fill the rest of your calorie allotment with carbs or whatever, stay consistent = weight loss.
  • GiggityGiggity88
    Options
    How do I learn healthy eating habits? I never really learned any from my parents as a kid, they always got fast food and were binge eaters themselves.

I'm not blaming them, I know I need to take responsibility for my own actions. But it's hard to break out of the habits that I learned as a young child/teen.

Are there any helpful books out there you could recommend?
  • pink2lady
    pink2lady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was planning on only doing Slimfast for the first couple months. The Slimfast diet is pretty structured, and this helps me stay focused. After I lose about 30-40 lbs I plan on switching to Weight Watchers.

neither of those focus on teaching you new habits. They focus on taking the money out of your wallet. Like was said before, unless you plan to eat slimfast and WW forever, you would be better off to learn healthy eating habits.

I agree 100%, up your fresh veggies and fresh fruits, cut back on soda and coffee, up your water intake and increase your body in motion (go for a nice brisk walk maybe). You can do this without spending all that money on a shake. Make your own shake with a blender and some veggies and fruits. There are plenty of suggestions for recipes and food diary for you to view for suggestions. Good luck to you and your healthy food journey. You can do this!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How do I learn healthy eating habits? I never really learned any from my parents as a kid, they always got fast food and were binge eaters themselves.

I'm not blaming them, I know I need to take responsibility for my own actions. But it's hard to break out of the habits that I learned as a young child/teen.

start with the basics - get (at least) 5 portions of fruit & veg a day, cut down processed stuff where you can, drink plenty of water, and aim to get around 100g of protein per day. give yourself a treat every now and then - if you cut stuff out completely you may crave it more. and as i said before, think of it as a lifestyle change not a diet.

these forums are great for information - though of course a lot of people have a lot of different opinions!

get some friends who log daily on here and have a similar calorie goal as you, and have a look at their diaries for inspiration!
  • pink2lady
    Options

Start by making your own food. You can make a huge pot of vegetable soup (google Weight Watchers Vegetable Soup) and that can be your lunch or dinner for the week. Pack your lunch the night before your work day (helps keep you focused). Log all our food intake on MFP (it's free) and log your water intake as well. You have to be honest with yourself and make sure you log everything. Ask people to be your friends on MFP (added support helps and they can share recipes and suggestions)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I honestly think the best way to learn about healthy foods and portion sizes etc is to eat real food. Slimfast won't teach you anything. Part of it is about knowledge and educating yourself, but a lot of it is about being faced with real temptations, and learning to make the best choice at the time. (The "best" choice might be resisting temptation, or it might be enjoying something in moderation, depending on the situation.)

This is what has worked for me. When I first started on MFP, I concentrated on calories only. I logged my normal diet, and immediately saw where I could make a few small changes to cut out calories and meet my goal. By logging food over time, you quickly learn which foods you can eat lots of and which foods you can't eat too much of, if you want to meet your goal. Some foods, you might decide it's not worth eating them, especially when you are on quite a low calorie goal. For example, I didn't eat much pizza in the beginning, because I find that I'm not satisfied with only one or two slices, and more than that really adds up calorie-wise. Now, I have a larger calorie goal and can easily fit in half a pizza if I fancy it.

As time went on, I started paying more attention to nutrients. Again, I did this just by looking at my food diary. I started trying to meet my protein goal more consistently, and not going over my carb goal so often. Recently, I have been tracking fibre and potassium, and as a result I've been eating a lot more veggies.

This is, for me, for life. Like you, I don't want to have to lose this weight again. I know myself, and I know that if I make massive radical changes to my diet, and only eat "health food", I won't last too long. Psychologically, I need to know that I can still eat the food I like. So, I still regularly have cheese, chocolate, bread, red wine, butter, etc. Obviously, that's not all I eat; my diet is much, much healthier than it used to be, but I have a really varied, balanced diet now, and I can fit those "treats" into my overall goals. The things that are very high in calories, I just eat smaller portions and have them less often.

As for learning about healthy eating, first work out what's important to you. Don't try to change everything at once. There is so much conflicting advice out there about nutrition, you need to work out what you care about. Do you want to get more protein? More vitamins and minerals? Less sugar? Again, just looking at your food diary here is a great way to achieve those goals. Try not to look at foods as being "good" or "bad"; nearly all foods can fit into a healthy diet. You just have to eat them in appropriate sizes.

Things like Slimfast completely take away the personal responsibility and stop you having to think about food choices. That's what is so attractive to a lot of people. As soon as you stop though, you're left having to make those choices again. Weight Watchers is good if you like to have the face to face support from a real life group, but otherwise, you can do better with MFP, for free. Weight Watchers is basically calorie counting, but they make it simpler (or more mysterious) with their points system.

If emotional eating or binge eating is an issue, then those are things that can take time to overcome. For me, calorie counting has really helped to get things under control, giving me the time to work on the emotional side of things. I haven't read any books by Geneen Roth, but I've heard a few people recommend her books for emotional eating issues. Maybe have a browse on Amazon and read the reviews there, there are tons of books on the subject.
  • GauchoMark
    Options

Not to sound like Mr. Miyagi or Yoda, but most of what you need to know you probably already know. The rest, you will learn as you go.

For example, you already know the obvious - hamburgers, french fries, potato chips, candybars, pizza, etc. have a lot of calories and you should limit those. Notice - I didn't say not to eat them - just don't eat them often. As you log things that you eat, you will start noticing the foods that you need to limit. Almonds get quoted on this site as a great, healthy food to eat (which is true) but they have a TON of calories, so I tend to limit them.

The point is, log your food DILIGENTLY and as you are eating it (ie - don't wait until the end of the day to log your food). Look at your diary regularly and notice where you are "spending" your calories. It is your preference if you think those calories are worth spending on that certain food. Eventually, it becomes second nature and you are making healthy choices based on your own experiences.

If you have questions, ask here or look up the food before you eat it to make sure.

Also, at least for a while, get a good digital food scale and some decent measuring cups and try to literally measure everything you eat - most people fail on estimating portion size. Once you get good at estimating portions, you can cut back on measuring.

Finally, set up your macro nutrient (carbs/fat/protein) calorie percentages to something you can live with. MFP comes standard with 55% carbs, 30% fat, and 15% protein. I personally like more protein than that, so I changed mine and reduced the carbs. The key is to find something that works for you.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm a 24 year old female and I've been a yo-yo dieter ever since I was in high school. I've lost 40+ lbs and gained it all back on 3 separate occasions. Losing weight is usually pretty easy for me because once I'm motivated, I stick to it.... Almost to a fault. I'm very neurotic and I start getting obsessive about calories.

My problem is that once I go off track, I completely give up and pig out. If I make even the slightest slip up, I'll think, oh well what's the point, and completely go back to my old ways.

I need to lose about 80 lbs to get to a healthy weight for my height. And I've started doing the Slimfast diet. I've already lost 8 lbs since I started last week, but I'm assuming most is water weight. However, I was eating horribly before, sometimes consuming 3,000 - 4,000 calories a day, without exercising.

Now I'm eating 1,200 calories a day, and doing 30 min of cardio at the gym everyday.

It feels great to see the scale go down that much after only being on plan for a week. However, I'm worried that if I lose weight too fast I'll end up gaining it all back like I have done in the past.

I feel like I'm starting to ramble here, lol. So my question is, as long as I'm eating no less than 1,200 cals a day, is it safe to lose more than 2 lbs a week, or will I most likely gain it back? I really want this to be the last time I lose this weight.

I'd really appreciate some advice/wisdom. Thank you! :)

I think the issue is primarily psychological, not physiological (if yo-yo dieting really damages the ability to lose weight, as some theories hold, you've already done that to yourself).

Are you eating at a level that will allow you to transition to a more normal level of calories during maintenance or are you creating a constant feeling of deprivation that will create a backlash once you stop dieting?

I also think that many people, no matter what they say, are resistant to change. They think they can go back to what they were doing, excepting eating less. You have to change your focus if you want to maintain your weight. You have to eat differently (most of the time) and be active for the rest of your life. Find activities that you enjoy doing and do them until they are second nature.

As you know you have a tendency to binge eat, you should try to avoid activities that place too much emphasis on eating.

If you REALLY want not to regain weight, you can. But maybe you don't.. And I'm not saying it will be easy all the time.

Get neurotic and obsessive about healthy eating at the right calorie level and activity, which includes exercise.
  • pink2lady
    Options

Start by making your own food. You can make a huge pot of vegetable soup (google Weight Watchers Vegetable Soup) and that can be your lunch or dinner for the week. Pack your lunch the night before your work day (helps keep you focused). Log all our food intake on MFP (it's free) and log your water intake as well. You have to be honest with yourself and make sure you log everything. Ask people to be your friends on MFP (added support helps and they can share recipes and suggestions)
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    One book I would recommend for you is "Women, God and Food." Don't let the word God freak you out, it's not a religious book at all, just connects food with our larger view of ourselves. It's not a diet plan, and it won't teach how much to have of what. For me, what it did is connect me back with why I started eating, what I was hoping for, and how I can meet those needs without diving for the bag of potato chips. It's real, challenging, and easy read, hits home, and gets to the core of the emotional eating that is so common for women who have struggled with weight for a long time. She's also been there (yo-yo dieter) and gained and lost over 1,000 pounds before finding her way and writing the book.

Good luck! Hang in there, and don't give up on yourself!
  • GiggityGiggity88
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

And I will definitely check out that book Jessie.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree that you should ditch the Slimfast. Wouldn't you rather lose weight eating normal, tasty food? Why punish yourself? I think doing these kinds of diets make it much more likely for you to regain the weight because you're not learning how to eat for maintenance. What happens when you hit your goal and go back to your old diet? You gain it all back, and then some. Focus on making healthy habits that you can stick to forever.