SODIUM - Detrimental to Weight Loss, or Just Bad For you ove

Options
I've been doing really well on my calories, carbs and fat but it's the sodium that's getting me! I never realized that some things that aren't even "salty" have so much sodium! On days where I'm having trouble meeting my minimum calories I'll go to add a snack only to find out it puts me over in my sodium! So what's more important, traditional markers like calories, fat, carbs - or should sodium be equally watched. I know it can add to heart disease and such, and I'm sure too much can make you feel bloated, but is it as important to watch for weight loss as calories, fat and carbs???

Replies

• ractayjon
    Options
    For me I HAVE to watch my sodium daily or I will retain water and so the scale will go up...I dont think it is stopping me from losing fat but it does stop or reverse my scale.
  • springgrl
    springgrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My dad was on several high blood pressure medications. He switched to a very low sodium diet and was able to stop medication altogether and lost a fair amount of weight while he was at it. I watch my sodium intake more than carbs or fat.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a VERY controversial topic. I've studied it extensively because it is crucial for life. Sodium is a necessary electrolyte for muscle contraction, and guess what-your heart is a muscle. Most people will just tell you eat as little sodium as possible because it gets such a bad rap. If you are working out, you NEED sodium. The formula is easy. Eat one milligram per calorie. If you aren't working out, your sodium stays low, and if you are working out, your sodium intake is enough to support the demands you place on your muscles (including your heart). Unbalanced electrolytes are a rapidly increasing cause of sudden athlete death. Ever hear about the people who die within a day or so of running a marathon? This is usually why. Take a multivitamin, eat one milligram of sodium for every calorie you eat, and drink enough water (in ounces, 1/2 your weight in pounds....so, a 170 pound person needs 85 ounces a day), and you'll be fine. You'll also see your bloating decrease if this is the cause of it.
  • bexiesbruv
    Options
    My body retains sodium and potassium as well. In addition to the heart disease mentioned, it also helps to elevate blood pressure (apparently) and as my BP was very high I have to be very cautious about sodium and potassium. For instance, cottage cheese, just check out how much sodium is in there, I for sure need to leave well alone on that one.
    I just try to stay as near to zero as I can, knowing that I will have more than my requirement whatever I try to do.
    For the water retention aspect, I would assume (to answer your question) that yes, it is detrimental to weight loss.

Good Luck

Bex
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I've found that low sodium usually equals low cal (not necessarily vice versa!), because sodium can add to the problem of retaining water, I chose a restrictive sodium diet (1600 mg a day). I really don't want to have to work harder than I already do at losing weight, kwim?
    If you're wondering how I survive on 1600 a day, feel free to check out my public food diary.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Sodium is not evil. You need it too live. TOO MUCH sodium on the other hand, can have adverse health effects. Your bodies response to high sodium intake is in part genetically determined. For example, Blacks suffer more adverse effects of high dietary sodium because of differences in circulating levels of certain hormones (ie: renin, norepinephrine, kallikrein, etc....)
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd mention. In order to stay up with my electrolytes on the days that I did long runs in training for a marathon, I'd need up to 4-5 GRAMS of sodium. Running for 2-3 hours, you HAVE to up your sodium intake-water intake too-1.5-2 gallons for those days.
  • gennyvieve
    Options
    i have found that just cutting out restaurant/fast food did a great job at cutting my sodium---that was only a week ago and i lost 5lbs and suddenly my rings are loose.....so it's definitely helped me stop retaining water! i know it's easier to just pick something up---or even do the frozen meals, but they are all LOADED with sodium and it ends up being more of a hindrance than we realize. and when you do have something with lots of sodium, make sure to have some extra water to help flush it out.....
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    The body does not "flush" like a toilet. Actually, drinking a lot of water after a sodium load ENHANCES the absorption of water. This actually INCREASES fluid retention.