"ur funny starts and stops at ur muffin top"

Options
2»

Replies

• ethansmug
    ethansmug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I hate that kind of 'comedy' that tinks it is so edgy and cool but actually just gets cheap laughs from being rude to people. I hate that it seems to be 'in' right now. Any cheeky kid in primary school can pull that, nothing clever about that!!! *hugs* xxxxxx

There is a lot more to it than you would think, there is a huge difference between just calling someone fat and saying it in a way that is clever and will make people laugh.
    George Carlin who is considered by many to be one of the greatest comedians ever had some very well crafted fat jokes, fart jokes, **** jokes, and pretty much anything else that people get all put in a tailspin about.

People get too oversensitive about a situation that they can control
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful. Just keep doing what you do and never mind that jerk.
  • ethansmug
    Options
    I snuck a peek at your pics and you are pretty damn fine. That being said, his retort although hurtful was actually pretty funny.

I would think that as a comedian you would be able to find the humor in damn near anything and roll with the punches, I do hope you had a nice comeback at least.

Also, do you have any recordings of your stand-up? I always enjoy finding great new comedians to listen to =]

trust me, i'm using that as material now. :) and thank you...lol
    yes i do have recordings of me go to youtube and look up jpaw and there should be some things to come up, i also have a fan page on facebook the name on there is also Jpaw

Very cool, checking it out now =]
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    Perhaps you can use it as material for future acts :) He sounds like a huge *kitten*-hat, and there will always be those. And calling someone fat is really the laziest excuse for comedy that there is, in my opinion. It's what 2nd grade boys do when they're trying to get someone to laugh. Stupid.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    You have to literally cut him in two with a line

I was at a gig one night, (I am not a stand up, comedian), just there watching.

Guy on stage was quite funny even if his jokes where a like obvious. This retired in the audience kept saying stuff, jumping on punch lines, thinking he was really funny.( He was fat ).

The Comedian eventually lost this patience and turned to him and said, " is that your thing, you go around finishing other peoples jokes for them" and before anyone could make a sound " I jumped in with, in fairness, it looks like he goes around finishing other peoples dinners for them"

With that, room erupts with laughter, comedian nods over to me, gets back too his routine, while fat idiot didn;t move for the rest of the show.

Literally, cut him in two, it means holding your tongue a while letting him dig a hole and them when he least expects it BOOM, knock him out
  • jpaw1002
    jpaw1002 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You have to literally cut him in two with a line

I was at a gig one night, (I am not a stand up, comedian), just there watching.

Guy on stage was quite funny even if his jokes where a like obvious. This retired in the audience kept saying stuff, jumping on punch lines, thinking he was really funny.( He was fat ).

The Comedian eventually lost this patience and turned to him and said, " is that your thing, you go around finishing other peoples jokes for them" and before anyone could make a sound " I jumped in with, in fairness, it looks like he goes around finishing other peoples dinners for them"

With that, room erupts with laughter, comedian nods over to me, gets back too his routine, while fat idiot didn;t move for the rest of the show.

Literally, cut him in two, it means holding your tongue a while letting him dig a hole and them when he least expects it BOOM, knock him out

hahahah nice one!! :bigsmile:

thanks to everyone else! :flowerforyou:
  • ethansmug
    Options
    Big diff between the video from Jan to the one from March. Your delivery got a lot stronger in just that short time. I'll look for a more recent show, not that you asked for my critique or anything... just wanted to say Good Luck and all that =]
  • jpaw1002
    Options
    Big diff between the video from Jan to the one from March. Your delivery got a lot stronger in just that short time. I'll look for a more recent show, not that you asked for my critique or anything... just wanted to say Good Luck and all that =]

thanks hun!! lol i have another show tomorrow night and a show on Nov 2nd im working on it :) i started comedy in december so its almost been a year
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I lived in Jax for seven years and used to hit the Comedy Zone (at the Ramada in Mandarin if the same place) often. My buddy still goes quite a bit - I'll have to check out your show when I'm back in town.

As a comedienne, I'm sure you are skilled at finding the humor in most situations (I'm not one and still do). If tough to do in this case, just imagine him tripping on the mic cord and falling face first onto the front row table...occupied by a big lunk who gets mad and pulverizes him. See...all better. GO JAGS!
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    I hate that kind of 'comedy' that tinks it is so edgy and cool but actually just gets cheap laughs from being rude to people. I hate that it seems to be 'in' right now. Any cheeky kid in primary school can pull that, nothing clever about that!!! *hugs* xxxxxx

There is a lot more to it than you would think, there is a huge difference between just calling someone fat and saying it in a way that is clever and will make people laugh.
    George Carlin who is considered by many to be one of the greatest comedians ever had some very well crafted fat jokes, fart jokes, **** jokes, and pretty much anything else that people get all put in a tailspin about.

People get too oversensitive about a situation that they can control

I dunno, I have been called fat in many many various ways and I see many more examples here of comments people have been called, and I have never found a single one of them witty. Am not saying they don't exist just I'm too busy being humiliated to laugh and the people around just feeling awkward. I think these comedians want to have their moment like the comedian with the bad teeth from nutty professor.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Well, it sucks when someone can be so cruel. But honestly, you're at a comedy house and not only that, you're a comedienne. You should understand that things are said for the benefit of the audience, and it sounds like this comedian found pointing at your faults as a way for him to try and win their favor. I'm not defending what he said at all, and hopefully you will grow in your comedy career by winning over the audience while taking the higher ground, not laughing at fat people, but instead laughing at the struggles we all face, many of us on that trail to lose weight. I guess what I'm saying is that finding a way to laugh is the best course, and using this experience for self-improvement, knowing you will never be like him, or resort to his level of attempted comedy.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    to the heckle comment: its different when its one of ur "co-workers" when you don't know the person their easy to take down.n.

Why? Do you care more about this man's opinion of you than that of a complete stranger?
  • jagfan
    jagfan Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    to the heckle comment: its different when its one of ur "co-workers" when you don't know the person their easy to take down.n.

Why? Do you care more about this man's opinion of you than that of a complete stranger?

I have seen this individual who insulted her, as well as her act a number of times. He is a loser and that was a pathetic attempt at being funny or hurtful...

What you are talking about is really not even the point. You are reffering to two totally different forums. One is Facebook. I can see from some of these responses that people must think it is ok to be a bully on FB. I have encountered this before...people are comfortable saying things they wouldn't normally say to someone's face. Also, like Jpaw indicated, it is "co-worker". No, it doesn't matter if it is someone you know (and dislike) or a complete stranger. But, there should a level of professionalism and respect that is obviously missing here. Jpaw and I also work in the coporate world where this kind of thing is unacceptable and would get someone fired immediately. I know the entertainment industry is slightly different...When you get on stage, it is your JOB to take that kind of abuse...you open yourself to it. She shouldn't have to subject herself to mean people she has to work with. But, I know, that is life.

I have also seen this individual and many others make fun of mentally disabled individuals, make jokes about 9/11, and talk down to overweight people. It is uncomfortable and unwelcome. I am not overweight, but I have faults of my own that I would probably not want someone to make fun of. He is just really (as well as some of the others involved in this business) a bad person.

So...as an ADULT of 43...I say this individual's actions are inappropriate. They are hurtful, even if he is a jerk. But, karma is a ....well, you know! He has already had a divorce, and has been asked to leave many comedy rooms. Jpaw, you are a beautiful, smart, hardworking, and dedicated individual. You are already successful and have taken on a lot responsibiltity at the age of 22...don't worry about ANYONE else...but you may vent at any time! We are all here to listen - AND NOT JUDGE!
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options

I have seen this individual who insulted her, as well as her act a number of times. He is a loser and that was a pathetic attempt at being funny or hurtful...

What you are talking about is really not even the point. You are reffering to two totally different forums. One is Facebook. I can see from some of these responses that people must think it is ok to be a bully on FB. I have encountered this before...people are comfortable saying things they wouldn't normally say to someone's face. Also, like Jpaw indicated, it is "co-worker". No, it doesn't matter if it is someone you know (and dislike) or a complete stranger. But, there should a level of professionalism and respect that is obviously missing here. Jpaw and I also work in the coporate world where this kind of thing is unacceptable and would get someone fired immediately. I know the entertainment industry is slightly different...When you get on stage, it is your JOB to take that kind of abuse...you open yourself to it. She shouldn't have to subject herself to mean people she has to work with. But, I know, that is life.

I have also seen this individual and many others make fun of mentally disabled individuals, make jokes about 9/11, and talk down to overweight people. It is uncomfortable and unwelcome. I am not overweight, but I have faults of my own that I would probably not want someone to make fun of. He is just really (as well as some of the others involved in this business) a bad person.

So...as an ADULT of 43...I say this individual's actions are inappropriate. They are hurtful, even if he is a jerk. But, karma is a ....well, you know! He has already had a divorce, and has been asked to leave many comedy rooms. Jpaw, you are a beautiful, smart, hardworking, and dedicated individual. You are already successful and have taken on a lot responsibiltity at the age of 22...don't worry about ANYONE else...but you may vent at any time! We are all here to listen - AND NOT JUDGE!

When you're talking about words, people only have as much power over you as you give them.
  • princessjazie
    princessjazie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    JPAW, As another younger person around here and doing ALOT. People are ALWAYS going to find a way to be little you. They use the word "young" or "baby" because they think we dont know anything and that we are inexperienced. Well they are WRONG. There are some people including yourself and myself that are more motivated and more accomplished than our elders. I hear it ALL the time because I am 26 and most of my coworkers are 40 and above. Dont let it bring you down, just use it a fuel to make you succeed!!!

On the other topic: dont worry about that comedian, just continue on your plan and keep motivated. You are a beautiful person inside and out. :-)

Just think of the quote: "Let my hater's be my Motivators"!
  • jagfan
    Options
    JPAW, As another younger person around here and doing ALOT. People are ALWAYS going to find a way to be little you. They use the word "young" or "baby" because they think we dont know anything and that we are inexperienced. Well they are WRONG. There are some people including yourself and myself that are more motivated and more accomplished than our elders. I hear it ALL the time because I am 26 and most of my coworkers are 40 and above. Dont let it bring you down, just use it a fuel to make you succeed!!!

On the other topic: dont worry about that comedian, just continue on your plan and keep motivated. You are a beautiful person inside and out. :-)

Just think of the quote: "Let my hater's be my Motivators"!

That is why you are my girl!!
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    if it hasn't already been said, you need to cut him, like for realsies...with a knife or something.
  • jpaw1002
    Options

she pretty much summed it up for me here. And thats what im trying to say. i guess some people don't get it because their not in this business, and we dont have a boss to report to or HR. Its us defending ourselves, and this individual is just a jerk like you all have said. My point is i do not like this man, at all, but me being professional i hold my tounge on certain things. b/c w/ me working in the corp world i know how to act professional and hold my own at the same time. so calling me a child is rediculous. YES I'm 22, but i have been through a lot and i don't act my age, i hold myself a lot higher than most 22 year olds do.

And to the other poster asking about where is the zone? yes its still at the ramada inn. send me a mesg when you come back into town and i'll let you know when my shows are
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, please don't literally cut him in two. :flowerforyou:

(Sorry, "literally" used in this way always makes my imagination go. Reality tv shows are great for this. My heart was LITERALLY JUMPING OUT OF MY CHEST!!!!)
  • jagfan
    Options
    Whatever you do, please don't literally cut him in two. :flowerforyou:

(Sorry, "literally" used in this way always makes my imagination go. Reality tv shows are great for this. My heart was LITERALLY JUMPING OUT OF MY CHEST!!!!)

LOL! My thoughts exactly! I doubt anyone would miss him, but it would be premeditated now that it is in writing here!! None of us want to be hauled into court, and the whole thing! I don't think you'd like prison! JS! :sad: