Weight watchers or My Fitness Pal?

Options
2»

Replies

• sandkrain
    sandkrain Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers teaches you how to fiddle 'points' and microwave ready meals.
    MFP teaches you about healthy balanced eating and portion control, along with the motivation you gain from the boards, advice from the seasoned oldbies in regards to calories, macros and exercise.
    Its a no-brainer :flowerforyou:

I TOTALLY AGREE... a long, long time WW member, loving MFP right now
  • brcampan
    brcampan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do both I am a WW member I do it online only as I have zero motivation to go to meetings and I use MFP. I actually started with MFP first and I found that with no structure or guide I was not losing weight. So I decided to join WW and I have lost 35 pounds since I joined.

When I first started with WW I would eat fast food and prepackaged food but you learn very quickly that those points add up and you can eat way more whole foods for the same budget.

My main method of tracking is thru weight watchers. I like the point system better then tracking calories, fat, protein, ect. That being said I use MFP to make sure that I am reaching my nutritional goals as far as getting enough fat and protein on certain days.

MFP has a way better data base for food nutrition then WW.

I believe that WW teahes you portion control and making sure you eat the recommended daily intake of each food group.

I don't find MFP to be as educational or easy to use as the ww website for beginners.

As for people who say that WW promotes " ww meals" I believe that that is a big thing in the US where people like the convenience of not cooking because the program in Canada does not mention prepackaged meals nor are they available to be purchased here. They give you recipes and suggestion to make your exciting recipes lower in points.

I believe it is a preference and which ever one works better for your lifestyle.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    as i understand it, WW gives you a program to follow without actually teaching you the underlying theory for why it works. if you don't want to know how to lose and maintain your weight loss, but just want a few simple rules to follow, i suppose WW works fine.

also, since WW is in the business of selling their products and making lots of $$$ and wants you to stick to WW meals for the rest of your life, i guess it's a good solution if you like paying your hard-earned $$$ to somebody else on a regular basis.

but maybe i don't understand WW at all, so take what i've said with a grain of salt.
  • lily653
    lily653 Posts: 18
    Options
    I lost 75lbs on WW. WW promotes portion control and choosing whole foods which they call "Power Foods" i.e. lean meats, low-fat dairy, fruits, veggies, etc. In my experience I've never had anyone (including leaders) tell me to eat their products over cooking my own meal with whole foods nor have I been told not to eat my activity points. In fact the etools offers a whole database of recipes that are not specific to WW products.

The only reason I switched to MFP is because it's free and I couldn't afford WW anymore. The only reason I felt comfortable switching to MFP is because I already had the background and education I recieved from WW.

Whatever you choose to do it has to be something you can stick with.