Women - lifting heavy B4 losing majority of their weight

Options
Hi, wonder if anyone wants to contribute?

I'm 5'3, 43 years old, 168lbs so got a fair bit of weight to lose. I HATE cardio - and I don't want to spend my time doing something I hate. I walk my dogs for half an hour every morning and that's as good as it gets.

I'm just about to start lifting - been doing body weight stuff while I have been waiting to buy my home gym stuff.

I've seen loads of beautiful, amazing women on here who have got incredible bodies through lifting heavy but the majority of them seem to have started off from a much 'slimmer' starting point than me.

So, if anyone has a story to tell of how they started out at a larger size, lifted heavy and ended up smaller - but buff! - then I'd love to hear it. Really not bothered about the weight I end up at - I want to be strong but crucially I want to be smaller.

Cheers :smile:

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I'm not a total success story yet......I've still got 20-30lbs to lose. I'm currenty 187 and I started at 230 back in December 2011. I started lifting weights this summer. I only lost 1.5lbs over the summer but I went down a full pants size and shirt size. I wear a size 12 pant now (and they are getting lose) and a medium/large shirt (depending on brand). I do cardio also (running and spin class) but I didn't watch my calorie intake very well all summer and I still got smaller.

So - my advice? Don't wait - start now!!!! :)
  • going2befit4ever
    going2befit4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump cos i'm interested in the opinions of others if its worth it while I'm still heavier than I want to be
  • gts175
    gts175 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My wife is similiarly situated and we are struggling with the same questions. I just bought her the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" because I saw it referred to often by MFP users. Haven't even read it yet but I think it endorses lifting heavy for weight loss. We are very interested in this discussion and hope to hear from some who have had success with this approach.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I havent reached my goal weight as yet, however, I have started lifting since I started going really serious on my journey back in August.

I think the results will be better, because you tighten up at the same time you lose
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I really don't care for most cardio either. I get bored doing the same thing for 30-40 minutes. I have taken up circuit training where you change up what you're doing every 2-3 minutes. It's so much more fun! I lift too, 3X per week, and it can definitely have a cardio effect on your body depending on what you are doing and how much time you take between sets. I go non-stop, maybe only 30-45 seconds between sets. As far as weight loss goes, I think cardio is only essential to help build a caloric deficit. If you can keep your deficit by only controlling what you eat, then you should still lose weight. Cardio does have other health benefits, so maybe try to suck it up once per week and get a decent cardio session in, even if it is just an extra long walk or a light jog.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Bump. I want to hear others opinions on this.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    DO IT!

Building muscle mass will help you as you go. Your body will recognize that it is trying to build muscle and target fat more efficiently... (at least that is what I have read repeatedly.) Not a scientist or doctor, but I CAN say it helps me! I did the whole calorie counting only thing and lost weight, but it was slow and frustrating. With the heavy lifting I am happier, get to eat a little more and am seeing more visible improvements... My recommendation: Don't wait, incorporate it into your lifestyle from the beginning !!!
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    My opinion, dont wait to start. Muscle burns fat, so the more muscle you build (and I dont mean bulking up like guys at all, you can lift heavy without bulking up, women dont have the testosterone for that) the more fat you can burn. Your body will rev up the metabolism by having more muscle to burn. Eat lean, lift heavy weights and get in some cardio and you will be nice and tone when you get rid of all the fat! and not skinny fat.... best way to do it!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hi, wonder if anyone wants to contribute?

I'm 5'3, 43 years old, 168lbs so got a fair bit of weight to lose. I HATE cardio - and I don't want to spend my time doing something I hate. I walk my dogs for half an hour every morning and that's as good as it gets.

I'm just about to start lifting - been doing body weight stuff while I have been waiting to buy my home gym stuff.

I've seen loads of beautiful, amazing women on here who have got incredible bodies through lifting heavy but the majority of them seem to have started off from a much 'slimmer' starting point than me.

So, if anyone has a story to tell of how they started out at a larger size, lifted heavy and ended up smaller - but buff! - then I'd love to hear it. Really not bothered about the weight I end up at - I want to be strong but crucially I want to be smaller.

Cheers :smile:

I am almost 52 an I lifted heavy when I was obese. You will lose fat faster then you will build muscle. You want to shape your lean body mass BEFORE you lose the fat so that you will have a pretty body as well as HEALTH:

Start lifting NOW. Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Lift heavy and light and a variety of routines, and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

If you are a girl you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulking and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

You can do a variety of things at home, this workout can be done with dumbbells and a bench:

The routine I do consists of weight lifting first and cardio second, but I still do cardio (mainly running). I change up everything all the time. My running is sometimes long easy runs, sometimes HIIT, sometimes shorter medium pace runs. My weight routine changes each day, each week, Circuits, Intermittent Super Sets, Fibonacci Pyramids, X-sets, Progress Venus Pyramids, and some splits, constantly changing it up, everything a variety of Strength, Hypertrophy, and Endurance.

Legs; In addition to Deadlift's, Stiff Leg Dead Lifts, Sumo Dead Lifts and Squats I do Bulgarian Split Squats, Lunges, Reverse lunges, Curtsey lunges, Step Ups, Crossover Bench Step Ups, One legged Deadlifts (T-Bend), Lunge Matrix, Bowler Squat, One Legged Get Ups, Bower Squat and Calf Raise, Bowler Squat + Stiff Leg Deadlift, Curtsey Lunge + Dumbbell Squat, T-Bend + Y-Squat, Reverse Lunge & Step Up, Curtsey Lunge + Step Up, Y-squat, Narrow Stance Squat

For upper body I do Standing Shoulder Press, Standing Dumbell Curls, Lying Tricep extension, Pullovers, Bent Barbell Row, Standing lateral Raise, Standing front Raise, Curl and Press, Shoulder Press + Curl, Dips, Lying Tricep Extensions + Flyes, Venus Raise (a type of snatch), Bent Row + Standing Lateral Raise, Pullovers, Pushup + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Bent Lateral Raise + Pullovers, One Arm Dumbbell row, Flyes + Pushups, Seated Curl & Tate Press, Seated Curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Pushups, Pullovers + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Lateral Raise + Full Front Raise, Venus Raise + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Lying Tricep Extension, Upright Row + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Flat bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Bent Row Narrow, Bent Row + Kickback,

Then some upper and lower combos; Squat and Front Raise, Step Up & Press, Step Up + Standing Shoulder Press, Squat & Press, Squat & Swing, Curtsy Lunge + Standing Shoulder Pres, T-Bend & Row, Pike Front Rais + Curtsey Lunge, Flat Bench Press + Step Up.

Core: Bar Bell Rollouts (you can start out with Stability Ball Roll Outs), Swiss Ball Pikes (you can start out with Stability Ball Curl Ups), and planks. As you advance Swiss Ball Pike and pushup.

I probably forgot some but you get the idea.
  • akgordoa
    Options
    Heya, I'm 24, 5'2" starting at 160lbs, and have lost 20 pounds with the majority of exersize as weight lifting. It was really difficult to see much of the progress I was making till around the end of the second month. The scale wouldn't move, but my shape was changing, which makes sense now, since muscle weighs more than fat. It helps to write down what you do in your workout, to track how strong you are getting, which helps on those days you're frustrated with your progress.

I started with P90X, since it was in home and I could do it while my son was sleeping. Still had to do some cardio, but it was a different kind of cardio I didn't mind too much. I struggle with hip dysplasia too, but have gotten stronger and therefore less affected by the pain. Anyway, my progress pic is on my profile, have a quick peak. I still have fifteen pounds to go.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I will be VERY happy to chime in.

I started lifting weights for the first time in my life in mid 2011. I was 47/48. I'd just had right knee replacement surgery to boot. I weighed over 230 lbs. Weight lifting was and has been THE difference maker for me. I've blogged about it pretty extensively, so it just may be easier to read that. But .. DEFINITELY. No need to "lose weight" then start lifting. In fact - the direct opposite should take place. Lift weights to burn FAT, reshape your body. I'm wearing an unheard of size, for me. I've never worn a single digit size - EVER - in my adult life. The last time I wore a size 10, I weighed at least 20 pounds less than I do now. I'm wearing comfy loose size 8s now. I'm now eating at maintenance level calories and changing up my training - focusing on gaining strength. That should continue to burn off fat and further recomp my body. In January, I may actually do a Bulk cycle for a few months with the goal of eating at a controlled surplus and gaining muscle. Muscle is the ultimate calorie burner : )

Good luck !

Jen
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/harlanJEN
  • willbthin2012
    Options
    Doing weighs for more repetitionsbut not heavy lifting will equate to a cardio workout. Working the larger muscles like the legs and the back with repetitions will also force you to use more calories. I have found that the only way to actually lose fat is to incorporate cardio so I would recommend focusing on high reps/low weighs and larger muscles and then you can build from there. If you are into videos, I would recommend Cathe Friedrich's Muscle Max; Kelly Coffey-Meyer 30 minutes to fitness, Jillian Michael's ripped in 30 and Jackie Warner's extreme time saver. Good luck in your quest!
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

You know what, I knew all that - I just needed to hear it again :smile: I know you're all right, I know the times I have lifted I have loved it and I can never say that about the hours I used to spend on the treadmill. I just had a wobble before I invested in all the weights *excited jump*

Thanks particularly to CaliforniaGirl, your body was the first body I saw on here that I thought WOW, maybe it is possible in your 40s and onwards :flowerforyou:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I am 54, have lost 57 pounds and have about 60 left to lose. I have been doing body weigh circuits and using hand weights for the last month. With the encouragement of friends that lift heavy, I bought my first weights this weekend and will begin Strong Lifts 5 X 5 on Wednesday. I have had such excellent results in my body with just a little weight - can't wait to see what happens in the next few months of lifting heavy! Good luck & follow the things you love!