Tracking Calorie Burn

Options
I like to walk @ lunch. I had used the Endomondo app on my phone but I thought the calorie burn seemed way to high. So I loaded the MapMyRun app. I used BOTH apps during my lunch time walk today and there was a HUGE difference. MMR - 167 cal to Endomondos - 459. I also compared it to another app I have on my phone (Calories Burned Calculator - not gps tracking/more generic for all kinds of exercise activities - that came up with 274. This is the # I ended up logging.). I DO have an HRM - but use it at home and don't want to have to lug it back and forth. I'm just wondering what your experience is with GPS smartphone apps. What do you like? What don't you like?

Thanks for the feedback!

Replies

• SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Endomondo is way too high. I don't use it anymore. Go with whats lowest.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    459 cals burned on your lunch break walk? ... ... Is your lunch break 3 hours long?
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    So tell me this, how does MFP compare with their calorie burns?
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You can guesstimate which is better using distance. For most people 1 mile is approximately 100 calories.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I just used the Endomondo app and I know the calorie burn was way off. I've used my hrm before for Yoga and average around 50-75 cals for my 30 minute class. Endomondo says I burned 151 cals.

My Nike+ app over estimates, too.

I personally would lug the hrm around if you really want to get as close to an accurate count as you can. I can't imagine that it would so big that you would have to "lug" it around lol ;-) The HRM uses your heart rate....the apps just do an estimation based on your set stats (Btw, Endomondo had my weight set at 360 lbs....look at me....there is NO way I'm 360 lbs lol - you may want to double check your settings).

Good luck!
  • sandra152
    Options
    I have the same problem with my gym and MFP THE GYM SAYS 20 MINS CYCLING MACHINE 40 CALS MFP SAYS 111CALS WICH ONE IS RIGHT?
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options
    I just used the Endomondo app and I know the calorie burn was way off. I've used my hrm before for Yoga and average around 50-75 cals for my 30 minute class. Endomondo says I burned 151 cals.

My Nike+ app over estimates, too.

I personally would lug the hrm around if you really want to get as close to an accurate count as you can. I can't imagine that it would so big that you would have to "lug" it around lol ;-) The HRM uses your heart rate....the apps just do an estimation based on your set stats (Btw, Endomondo had my weight set at 360 lbs....look at me....there is NO way I'm 360 lbs lol - you may want to double check your settings).

Good luck!

You're right...it's not THAT big. Maybe LUG wasn't the right word to use. I think I'll bring it with me to work tomorrow and do a comparison with the apps. Thanks!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    To give your apps a sanity check use .53 x your body weight per mile walking (up to 4 mph) and .75 x your body weight per mile running

(Source: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html)
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options
    459 cals burned on your lunch break walk? ... ... Is your lunch break 3 hours long?

Um, no. I did say it seemed to high didn't I? It's not like I acutally logged that #.
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options
    To give your apps a sanity check use .53 x your body weight per mile walking (up to 4 mph) and .75 x your body weight per mile running

(Source: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html)

Ah...perfect. I knew there had to be an equation out there somewhere. Thanks!
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly...wow.
  • ChantalFiset
    ChantalFiset Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyWalk as I walk, but I don't use the calories burned it gives my as it is way too high. I just use the distance and the time, and the speed. Then I enter the time and speed of my walk in MFP and it calculates the calories burned for me.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    get a heart rate monitor.
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

I calculated this, cause it's the first I heard of it, and it is dead on with MFP an the calc's I get when I record my running and walking.
  • goofy0413
    Options
    I like Run Keeper. Also there is an app called Charity Miles.....it tracks how far you go and then donates food or meds or whatnot to the chosen charity. And you can chose a different one each time.
    But I use run keep when i do my runs. I fid that was the most accurate in miles and calories!