OK scale- I finally get it

Options
The weighing thing will make you crazy. According to the scale, I gained 6 pounds since Sunday, with no real change to my regimen other than some cocktails Saturday night. This of course was because I was dehydrated, and quickly made it back to close to my base weight after drinking lots of water. I was kind of bummed that I didn't see more loss, but then did measurements and I have lost .5 to an inch all over in a week. I must have had some muscle gain in there too.
Lesson learned! I will still check the scale, but I think I will pick a day towards the end of the month and really only "count" that weight.

Replies

• CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating wisely you could weigh yourself every day, but then just count it when your weight goes down. I agree, it is discouraging to see the scale jump up several pounds when one is doing everything right. :(
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I take the opposite approach. I step on the scale absolutely every morning and sometimes more often. I find the fluctuations interesting.

What I'm looking for is to see those yoyos trending towards lower and lower lows and lower and lower highs. So I used to weigh about 188 and bounce between 186 and 190. This week I'm averaging around 168 in the morning and have seen as low as 166 and as high as 169.

I'm a statistician. I think of it as sampling error. If I just took one measurement and thought it was 'real', I'd obsess. Measuring a lot, I don't. It's just something I do when I go into the bathroom.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    What works for me is weighing every day in the morning when I first get up then if I have stayed below an certain weight for 7 days in a row I log it otherwise i chalk any loss up to water weight until it stays off.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    My weight that I register into my logs is Monday Morning wearing Shirt and Pants only, before breakfast and after my morning bathroom time. This way I get results that should be on pretty even footing with every other week.
  • Luvmyhubby222
    Luvmyhubby222 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I agree-it is interesting, and I like noting things that throw it off (salt,water,etc). But I was really bummed until I measured myself-won't let it bug me so much next time!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I personally like to weigh myself everyday, it helps me keep track of the way my body reacts to the way I eat, and as long as you understand that you cant gain 5lbs of fat in a day with out eating 5 large pizza, than it works out really well. I helps me be more accountable weighing everyday.