How do you eat "normally" while on vacation?

Options
So I'll be heading out of town shortly for about 10 days - several of which will be spent on the road & I'm dreading the restaurant stops!! I don't want to totally blow all of my hard work just because I don't have access to my "normal" food, kitchen, etc.

Several other days will be spent at my in-laws so I'll have access to a kitchen & fridge so that makes me feel a little better but I'm curious how everyone else handles their meals & snacks while on vacation? Do you still log everything? Maybe I should buy a little cooler when we land so I can hit the grocery store & stock up on healthy foods for the road? Will the TSA think I'm crazy for bringing a pound of chia seeds? :laugh:

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Vegas this weekend.

I'm going to consume a minimum of 7000 calories a day while I'm there between food and booze. Probably a lot more. I will not log anything.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be eating out, I usually stick to lean proteins such as grilled chicken salads, that sort of thing. It can be done! When I was in Disney World two summers ago I found just about every quick lunch spot in the parks had grilled chicken salads with low-fat Paul Newman balsamic vinaigrette.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    Definitely grab a cooler and fill it up with good food. I don't normally eat on the road but I do take healthy stuff in case I happen to get hungry.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Do you still log everything? Maybe I should buy a little cooler when we land so I can hit the grocery store & stock up on healthy foods for the road?
    This is exactly what I was going to say. When I travel one of my first stops is the grocery store. Buy a modified version of what you already eat, stock up your cooler, and you're good to go. Eat well, save money, win!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    eat grilled not fried. get veggie sides instead of fries/onion rings. drink water not soda.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You don't have to log calories, but you can still eat sensibly. Restaurant fare: bfst - egg beater vegetable omelettes, lunch-salads with grilled chicken, etc. dinners - grilled seafood, ckn, etc. at the in-laws house - same thing lots of fruits and veggies, almonds and popcorn for snacking, stay away from creamy sauces and soups, This should be a life time eating change. Don't thing yeah, vacation, total pig out - you can still have dessert, and wine, just don't go eating crazy. Make sure that you are not starving or you will make bad choices. Go for a morning or evening walk every day.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I'm going to consume a minimum of 7000 calories a day while I'm there between food and booze. Probably a lot more. I will not log anything.

That's what I did, gained a few pounds...lost it all again after 2 weeks back!
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options

I feel it.
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever, just eat smaller portions of it.

Choose grilled over fried if possible. Go for salads with low-fat dressing if available. Lots of places have low-carb items on the menu. Pack some healthy snacks for between meals.

I really don't think you would gain all 24 pounds you've lost (according to your ticker) in 10 days. Enjoy your trip and don't stress about what you can't control!