HRM vs. Fitbit HELP!!!

Options
I never really know how many calories I am burning so recently I decided to maybe purchase a fitbit. Then my friend said that she really likes her HRM because it tells her exactly what she is burning. Does a fitbit track heart rate as well? It seems like it should but I am conflicted. Which is more accurate? Thanks for your reply

Replies

• fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I had the fitbit and hated it. Gave it to Goodwill. It was an expensive pedometer to me.
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this answer as well, I have been looking into both too. Thanks for posting! I will be checking in on this feed later :)
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    They are two different things.

The FitBit tries to gauge your general daily activity. It is not always accurate for actual workouts. If you are looking for a motivation tool to help you get off your butt, then the FitBit might be right for you.

If you are looking for a (more) accurate calorie burn during your actual workouts then you want a HRM.

I have the FitBit and a Polar FT 7. I love them both for their different functions. They were well worth the money to me.

http://www.fitbit.com/user/22HTZ2
  • APBTChampion
    APBTChampion Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Hoping to see what others suggest... have heard mixed reviews on the FitBit.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have both Fitbit and HRM. The fitbit is fantastic for being like a pedometer- helping you track your steps, distance travelled, stairs gone up, sleep (which is the big one for me).

For any cardio exercise that is more than just walking- I use my HRM. It is a more accurate representation of the jumping, dancing, twisting, etc you may perform. If your main source of exercise is walking, the fitbit would suffice.

neither are exceptionally good for strength training.
  • jmp1031
    jmp1031 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i've had a fitbit since May, love it but for certain workouts like circuit training and yoga/pilates where there isn't a lot of movement, it isn't as accurate. I just got an HRM and used it and the fitbit for my jillian michaels ripped in 30 dvd workout last night. the HRM said i burned double what the fitbit did! i think for workouts an HRM is better, but i wear my fitbit all day to catch calories burned for my daily activities. i would get both if you could :) the fitbit does motivate me to be more active outside of a set workout.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Two completely different items. One tracks steps - the other tracks your heart rate.

FitBit is good for wearing all day and keeping you motivated to move more. It also tracks step related exercises.

HRM is good for tracking non-step related exercises and not for wearing all day.

I have both. They both have their own purpose and I personally love them both.