Running/Jogging vs Cycling

Options
So about 3 weeks ago I started the C25K program and absolutely loved the first 2 weeks. This was weird for me because I have always hated running, but now I guess with a few less lbs jiggling around on me it was actually fun, and I pulled some awesome distances even in the first 2 weeks! Then, my knees decided they would ruin my fun. Literally, I completed W2D3 and the next day could barely walk. Just getting back to normal now, a week later! I went from no pain to excruciating in 1 day! I was running with custom orthotics designed for sport use and nike runners that the guy at the running room helped me decide on specifically for my screwed up feet and what not. I was also not going very fast, so I don't think it was an equipment issue.

Some background info is that I have collapsed arches, my ankles suck (The foot guy I saw had a fancy name for it, but basically they're just really, really weak), and I have some old knee injuries from practicing judo years ago.

So I figure, angrily, that maybe running just isn't a good idea. A few rather educated people have told me this along the way, but I had to figure it out myself. And I'm ticked! I had fun! I want to do the tough mudder!

So, I decided I would try cycling.

I used to bike all the time, but never with any goal except to burn some energy and get out of the house. My question is this: Where do I start??

I am kind of broke atm, so I wanted to pick up a bike off kijiji for cheap.

I have no idea how to make sure I get a bike the right size. Should I get a road bike? A mountain bike? A hybrid? An exercise bike? I live in Canada, so biking outdoors in winter is not my idea of a good time. Is there a specific exercise bike that is more like a real bike that would be decent for training? Are there just casual races for biking like there are all these 5k running races? I am kind of competitive, but not hugely so would be fun to compete just for funsies. I saw on a tv show a kind of bike treadmill so you could ride your outdoor bike indoors, but that seems expensive and pretty hard core.

I am hoping some knowledgeable cyclist will read this and wish to evangelize his/her sport the way runners do and help me out a bit?

Also, all you runners, I so badly wanted to join your club! I'm sad that I can't :(

Replies

• sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Bump, Sorry, I hate it when people do this, but I want this to get seen...
  • runnninginmd
    Options
    I am definitely a runner and not a cyclist but I did recently begin cycling for cross-training so I could rest my knees/feet/joints a bit. At the recommendations of some trainers at my gym and a few friends that do cycle, I bought a Trek hybrid bike. If you are planning on doing longer distances you might be better off with a road bike, but I only ride 1-2 at a time and the hybrids are a bit cheaper and more comfortable.

I ended up buying my bike new, but there are many on Craigslist. One thing to keep in mind is that I was told by the people working at the bike store that you do not necessarily need a woman's frame. This will be helpful because most used bikes were not women's. In fact, I ended up buying a "men's" frame because I just liked the way the bike felt better.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can still run? Maybe you just did too much, too soon and got an over use injury? Running is nothing something I would exactly count out yet..

As for a bike, if you go to a bike store, they will tell you what size bike you need. I would try and go with a hybrid, they are good for light trails, and concrete. If you need to go cheap, you can get one at Wal-Mart or similar store, and that will be fine for now. Biking is a lot of fun, good luck!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Yeah, last time I got a bike, I went to a fancy, high-end store so that I could get expert help and test rides lots of kinds of bikes, and I wrote down what I liked, what size frame I needed, etc., and searched for a cheaper one online. :wink:
  • spotdog14
    Options
    I can't help you on what kind of bike it pick but you over did yourself running. You need to take a week break or so and then start out slowly. I can even overdue myself now and I have been running since January. I have figured out my limit is two long runs a week, I cannot do more than two 7+ mile runs a week or else my right knee starts to kill me.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yeah, last time I got a bike, I went to a fancy, high-end store so that I could get expert help and test rides lots of kinds of bikes, and I wrote down what I liked, what size frame I needed, etc., and searched for a cheaper one online. :wink:

My hero, you wasted a store employee's time to save a few bucks? Had you bought the bike from the bricks and mortar store chances are you be getting a free fitting, a couple of free tune-ups etc included in the price. Don't complain when they charge you to service the bike if it needs it in the future.

To the OP, if you're thinking of taking up cycling consider a hybrid or commuter model to start with or a mountain bike with road tires on it. You don't need to spend a ton of money (in fact you can probably find a used one on kijiji etc)

If you poke around the web a bit you can find information on sizing etc...

eg: http://www.trekbikes.com/faq/questions.php?questionid=63
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

My hero, you wasted a store employee's time to save a few bucks? Had you bought the bike from the bricks and mortar store chances are you be getting a free fitting, a couple of free tune-ups etc included in the price. Don't complain when they charge you to service the bike if it needs it in the future.

People shop around all the time, and go for the cheaper one. There is NOTHING wrong with trying to save money.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

People shop around all the time, and go for the cheaper one. There is NOTHING wrong with trying to save money.

You're right, there's nothing wrong with trying to save money but there's also value to the services she received and, from the sounds of it, didn't give the bricks and mortar shop a chance to match the price. There's also more to value than price.......
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i've never been a fan or running so i'm all for the switch :P

I'd go to a bike store and get some advice. they might even sell used bikes there!

your other option, for low impact cardio is swimming. the equipment is cheap :P but a gym membership might not be
  • cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I like to run but it gets kinda boring for me. I bought a comfort bike this summer and have never looked back! I love cycling. my only wish now is for a road bike, a mountain bike and a cruiser! I bought mine in a shop, many will take payments... im glad I didnt "save" money on cl, because my labor is free where I bought it, and unless the oart is expensive they have given me a few. another place to chwck is see if your community has a bike oroject place. many places do. the bijes are cheaper, they teach you to do your own wrenching and you can volunteer and meet people! good luck and have fun riding!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Hi Sandy - I am not sure if you are in the USA or UK but over here in the UK we have employer assisted deals where you can buy a bike, primarily for commuting to work but also for personal use, through a governemnt scheme that enables you to buy a bike at a lower rate and divide down the payments.

That way you get more bike for your buck!

Any good?
  • KAT1892
    KAT1892 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd go for a Hybrid (actually, that's what I've got). That way if you want to ride around in surveys you are good, but if you want to hit the odd trail, you'll be good too (well, at least a lot better than with a road bike). They also generally come with a boat load of gears so you can make it easier or harder for you with the switch of a gear. Don't worry about it being a man's bike or a woman's bike (I went for the women's frame because I'm a shorty, and they tend to run smaller, but I know that's not an issue for you). You leg should be near full extension when the pedal is closest to the ground, so I hear.

Buying on Kijiji will be cheaper in the short term but I imagine it will be a bit of testing to find one that fits you and if something goes wrong after you buy it, you're out of luck. Although, I imagine there should be some sales happening as bike season is nearing an end for the casual bikers.

Once you fall in love with biking though, I suggest getting a bike from a true bike shop. Mine has been so helpful, installing locking skewers, replacing a defective tire, giving it the once over if I suspect things aren't running smoothly, all covered with a warranty plan. Trust me, it was a good investment.

Glad to hear you are going to be cycling more though. If you want to be competitive, I don't mind a friendly competition. I'm sure we could figure SOMETHING out. :)
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options

You're right, there's nothing wrong with trying to save money but there's also value to the services she received and, from the sounds of it, didn't give the bricks and mortar shop a chance to match the price. There's also more to value than price.......

Not to mention that the store provided an employee to assist in making sure you would have all the information needed and were making an informed decision. Shop online for that and see what you find. Shopping around is fine, but do your own research instead of asking a store you have no intention of buying from to pay for that research.
  • sandylion
    Options
    Wow, thanks guys for all the advice!

Spotdog, You're probably right that I did over do it, but I didn't even do that much! I was just doing the C25K, so I had done 3 days a week (I never skipped a rest day) and walked/jogged intervals of about 5-6k each time I went out. If I do less then that, I feel like I won't really get anywhere with improving endurance or anything like that. I may try again once my knees feel 100% back to normal, but I don't want to risk any permanent damage, you know?

Carlos, I'm actually in Canada. That sounds like a really cool program, unfortunately I've never heard of anything like that out here so I doubt it exists :( I may do a little internet research though!

MMA, Oh I know, I would love to do swimming, but the trouble is A) Gym membership B) the time! Drive there, shower first, swim for 45 min, shower again, blow dry your hair, and drive home. A 45 minute work out takes at least 1.5hrs. Poor efficiency!

Kat, It was pretty well my plan that if I really stick to it and like it I will definitely upgrade, but I don't want to invest a bunch of cash into it before I really know that I'll follow through you know? I am sort of flighty after all ;)

Cmcorn, will definitely look into the bike project idea, that sounds awesome! I'd love to learn the mechanics of the bike.

Thanks so much for all the advice!
  • sandylion
    Options
    Pixie, I do like to save a buck!
  • PixieGoddess
    Options

No, I "wasted a store employee's time" (less than half an hour, btw) to save a few HUNDRED bucks! And to everyone coming down on me for doing this, I would like to note that I worked retail for years, and I was HAPPY to give advice/opinions to ANYONE in my store! I didn't ask them first whether they intended to make a purchase that day, and often pointed them to other stores or online sites if they couldn't find what they wanted/could afford at my store. This is called customer service. There's an entire industry built around it, one which I'm still in today.

And before people comment on how "worked up" I got over this, I'll go ahead and say that yes, this upset me. Like Sandy, I was working through an injury at the time (sprained ankle) and needed a bike because I didn't have many exercise options, and I wasn't going to go 3-6 months without exercising. (Side note: That's another reason I wanted to test-ride a bike first: to make sure that it did not, in fact, aggravate the injury. Swimming is supposedly another good exercise when injured, but I had already tried that and my ankle was in absolute agony!) But some people cannot afford $400+ for a bike, which was the cheapest one available at this store. I did actually go into the store hoping that I could afford a good bike, since they were having one of their big tent sales, but that was not affordable. Frankly, I still couldn't afford that if I needed to buy another one right now. So yes, I went online and found a lower-quality bike for $150, which I still could only afford because I'd just gotten a tax return. Anyone who wants to judge me can start a "Poor People's Bicycle Fund" and pay for me to get a better bike direct from the store. I will happily take your money if it bothers you enough to pay for it.
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am hoping some knowledgeable cyclist will read this and wish to evangelize his/her sport the way runners do and help me out a bit?

I am a recent convert to the cult of cycling, and I logged about a thousand miles this summer. Fun times!

Bike fit is important, the same way shoe fit is important, and until you have an operational knowledge of how a bike is supposed to fit, it can be difficult to buy a used bike. I would recommend you go to your local bike shop (LBS, in the lingo). You will pay more, but you'll get the expertise and the backstop of the shop. Improper bike fit is the source of probably 80% (a guess) of bike issues. If you can find a LBS that sells used stuff, that's probably a good compromise. My first bike, out the door with helmet, was right at $450. It's a lot, but you get what you pay for.

I would ignore all department store bikes, because they are heavier, with crappier materials, and you'll have no idea who put it together, or what they know about bike assembly.

If you don' t know what shop to go to, find a local cycling club and email one of their members for tips. Once you have an a bigger knowledge base, you can buy a used bike. If you do decide to buy a used bike, spend a few hours reading over the articles online to get an idea of what you need in terms of sizing and what to look for in terms of overall condition.

A couple of general tips: (a) bike shorts are awesome, even though they are stupid looking; (b) clip-in pedals are a must once you get serious about riding, but expect to fall about a dozen times learning; and (c) picking a saddle is hard, getting a saddle positioned properly is an art more than a science, and if you are getting saddle sores or blisters, your saddle is positioned wrong.

Choosing a bike, in my mind, depends on use. A typical ride for me is 20 to 40 miles; to get an idea of distance in comparison to running, take your running distance times four. The question is then, where are you going to ride? I am lucky in that we have some great trails in the Chicago area, and some great roads to ride on. If there are trails available, then the questions is whether they are dirt/gravel/crushed limestone, or paved?

If you plan to ride on roads, a road bike is the right choice. A flat-bar bike will be the most comfortable to get started, but soon (within a few months or 300 miles), you will likely want to go to a full-on drop-bar road bike.

If you plan on trail riding, for paved trails, a flat-bar bike with smooth-tread tires (but larger than the tyipcal 700c x23 road tires) is a good choice.

A hybrid bike, with flat bars and somewhat knobby tires, is a good compromise, but it is a compromise across the board. My hybrid was my first bike, and is now the one I ride the least.

A mountain bike (especially a dual-suspension mountain bike) is a different animal altogether, for a different sport.

For limestone trails, a flat bar bike with more aggressive tires is a good choice. A drop-bar bike with more aggressive tires (often called a "cross" or "cyclocross" bike) is wonderful choice, but not as common.

Also, remember to wear a helmet.
  • Debralous
    Debralous Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Spotdog, You're probably right that I did over do it, but I didn't even do that much! I was just doing the C25K, so I had done 3 days a week (I never skipped a rest day) and walked/jogged intervals of about 5-6k each time I went out. If I do less then that, I feel like I won't really get anywhere with improving endurance or anything like that. I may try again once my knees feel 100% back to normal, but I don't want to risk any permanent damage, you know?

You made a very classic mistake. too much - to quick! 5-6k first each outing first two weeks of c25k?!? No wonder you landing with an injury. Give yourself plenty of time to rest and recover then go to the original c25k gurus (coolrunning.com) and really read ALL of the introduction and instruction. They are very very clear that even though you will FEEL like you can do more AND your cardio fitness may allow it...the slow build up is absolutely essential to allowing your muscles joints and ligaments, etc to adapt to the new activity...remember you aren't supposed to get to the 5k mark until the last week!!! give it another try but take it easy, even though you don't feel like it's "working". :)

On the bike: I also recommend a hybrid. I just started riding in June on my 8 year old hybrid (cost maybe $200 back then) and am logging 140+ miles a month (in addition to running) on it. I have zero complaints about it, my hiney adjusted pretty easy to the seat (even though it's not a "good" saddle) and even after 2+ hours / 25 miles I have no trouble. I did invest in clipless pedals after the first couple of months but they are a luxury not a neccessity. I don't remember every liking to bike this much...maybe because my overall fitness is higher or whatever, but I love it now and it complements running really well.
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    Debralous has a good point about too much distance for a beginner. I'm on W4 and I'm still only doing about 1.5mi during my intervals, with another about 0.5mi from my warm-up and cool-down walks. (For reference, 5k = 3.1mi) If you'd really like to keep running, try following the program exactly and just do other exercises if you feel like you need to do more in a day. I promise you'll get to a point where you'll feel like you've had a legitimate workout! :)
  • luckylissette
    luckylissette Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything mirthfuldrago said! I just recently bought a hybrid, because I'm not fully ready to commit to a road bike (price wise and terrain wise). I checked out a couple of LBS' (a friend happens to own one so I hit him up for advice) and they are a WEALTH of knowledge. Whether or not you buy a bike from them, you will be going back for accessories and components, so they're happy to give the advise.

Rule of thumb for the bike itself, as mirthfuldrago said it doesn't matter if it's a man's or woman's bike, what you need to look for when you're straddling the frame is that a finger or two fits between the top tube and your lady parts. That is KEY. Everything after that can be adjusted. And also, funny enough, I was informed to get one that I consider pretty, because if you hate to look at it, you're going to hate to ride it. Makes sense.

What I was told about saddles, basically women will need a wider saddle, not crazy wide, but just a little wide because of the sit bones and overall hip musculature of women in comparison to men. Get something gel, because your butt will love you for it, especially at first.

As for the pedal, I was advised not to go with the clip-in pedals to start with, especially if I'm not going to go long distances. Once I start doing the charity runs I eventually want to do, that's when I should invest in the clip-ins, but if it's only to get some exercise and will only be done a few days a week, there's no need for clip-ins. I'm actually considering to get toe cages instead just for the extra push without having my feet locked in.

That's the knowledge I gained in my research to get my bike. Hope it helps.