Runners....my 1st 21.1km run

Options
So I am looking for advice from people that have completed 21.1km run. I have been running for two years, and have done several 5k &10k race, this is my first 21.2k race. I was training for it up to week 8 when I got sick and stopped training. The race is in two weeks and I am not feeling to confident in my abilities to finish it. I have still been running but stopped the training program.
I am trying to figure out what would be an ok time for me.
5km race PB 29.00 (longest (being sick 38mins)
10km race PB 1hour 1min (longest 1hour 20mins)

thoughts..............

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    so a half marathon, right?

this awesome calculator should give you an idea:
    http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/calculator

It suggests 2:15 for your half marathon time, assuming you do the long runs to be in shape for the distance and have the same speed capacity as when you did your personal bests (not sure how long ago those were for you).
  • kfesta52
    kfesta52 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What's your longest training run so far?

If you've been training at all recently for this type of length (and honestly, even if you haven't been all that diligent, do you really run a fair bit?), you probably shouldn't worry, as long as you don't get hung up on meeting some arbitrary "time". Just about anyone that can run for a decent distance in training could make it on a run or run/walk for a half marathon. Just don't go out too hard (honestly, reign in that crazy adrenaline rush at the beginning of the race, BIG-time), don't expect anything other than the best you can do that day based on how you feel, and don't forget a sip of water every now and then.
  • bethabethh
    bethabethh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    when i did my 1/2 marathon i had never ran that far until that day. i had done my long runs and got up to the 8 mile mark. my life was busy and im a slacker and was probly only training 2 or 3 times a week at the most. i paid my money so i felt obligated.... i just went and did it and did just fine... my time was 2:34. not bad for me. i think that if you are a runner and have kept up ok till now you should do just fine.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options

It suggests 2:15 for your half marathon time, assuming you do the long runs to be in shape for the distance and have the same speed capacity as when you did your personal bests (not sure how long ago those were for you).

Mcmillian is a good guide, but be sure to start a little easier than the 2:15 (~10:18/mile) pace, maybe a 10:36/mile (~2:19 race time) and pick it up on the second half if you are feeling it. Mcmillian assumes you are fully trained for the distance, which you have indicated may be a little light. You will want the energy later in the race so you can kill on the last 5k.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Start like a tortoise, finish like a hare.

Don't try to run a 1:01 for the first 10km. Take it way slower than that and conserve energy for the second half. That said, for a first HM I wouldn't worry too much about time. Go do the distance, set a bench mark, then you have something to better next time.
  • amathwills
    amathwills Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I have tried to pick it back up since I was sick, my usually top distance since has been 10km, which I have a run this weekend for 10 kms. I guess I will have to give it what I got and go from there. The most I have ran during this past training was about 16kms. The most I have ran ever has been 19.1 km and that was a run/walk situations.
    Thanks Again, and I will try that website.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Mcmillian is a good guide, but be sure to start a little easier than the 2:15 (~10:18/mile) pace, maybe a 10:36/mile (~2:19 race time) and pick it up on the second half if you are feeling it. Mcmillian assumes you are fully trained for the distance, which you have indicated may be a little light. You will want the energy later in the race so you can kill on the last 5k.

agreed - McMillan is a useful tool, but it assumes you are equally trained for the longer distances (which may or may not be the case)

train smart and have fun!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    So I am looking for advice from people that have completed 21.1km run. I have been running for two years, and have done several 5k &10k race, this is my first 21.2k race. I was training for it up to week 8 when I got sick and stopped training. The race is in two weeks and I am not feeling to confident in my abilities to finish it. I have still been running but stopped the training program.
    I am trying to figure out what would be an ok time for me.
    5km race PB 29.00 (longest (being sick 38mins)
    10km race PB 1hour 1min (longest 1hour 20mins)

thoughts..............

i ran one in august. i had planned on training of course, but life got in the way. race week came and i was nervous. i wasn't really worried about not finishing because worst case scenerio i figured i could walk (or crawl) if i had to.
    the longest i had run previous was 16km and that was with a few walking/hiking breaks so i definitely didn't have much of a training base.
    don't underestimate the adrenaline rush you will get from the race day atmosphere. it definitely helps. just don't get too caught up in it and go out too fast. i ran the first 10km in 59 minutes which was ahead of where i wanted to be
    around the 14km mark i started to feel my legs going. i slowed my pace but around 16km i had to take my first walk break. the last 5km were tough. my lungs and my mind felt fine, but i just couldn't get my legs to move.
    i ended up finishing in 2:18
    i wanted to beat 2:15, but i was happy with being under 2:20 for my first race that distance.
    it sounds to me like have a decent start to your training. i am sure you will do fine. i'm not much of an authority on running tips, but have fun and go out slow. enjoy the entire day :D