Why is it soooo easy to go backwards????

Options
When a person starts excersizing, eating right, losing weight, and getting healthy, they feel amazing, and powerful, and confident. So, why is it so easy to just stop being good to yourself? Why is it so easy to come up with excuses to not eat right, or to stop excersizing for day, weeks or months in a row?

Replies

• Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I know for me it can be a lack of results in the time I expect them. Then my brain turns into Ms. Negative Nancy and the doubts come flowing in. I start to wonder if it is worth it, I begin to question if I can do it. Which is why I have MFP and a group of amazing friends who will literally and figuratively kick me in the *kitten* when I start to slide backwards down my hill.

Couple of those girls have big freaking feet too ;)
  • Tammi140
    Tammi140 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know for me it can be a lack of results in the time I expect them. Then my brain turns into Ms. Negative Nancy and the doubts come flowing in. I start to wonder if it is worth it, I begin to question if I can do it. Which is why I have MFP and a group of amazing friends who will literally and figuratively kick me in the *kitten* when I start to slide backwards down my hill.

• Tammi140
    Options

Ok... so maybe I need some friends that will feel free to be completely honest with me. I like to eat healthy, I like to work out, I like wearing smaller clothing, and I like how I feel while I am doing these things. I hurt my knee recently and for some unknown reason, it was like a relief! Like whew, now I dont have to excersize and eat right! REALLY???? Why does my brain do that to me??? I want to feel good! And eating healthy and excersizing does that for me. In knowing that, why do I have to continually have to fight with myself to do the right things???
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    because food and rest FEEL and TASTE good!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Because it is hard work and it is easier to just quit. When you get sick of the yo-yo, when you can overcome the bad attitude, that is when you find it easier to stick with it.
  • Tammi140
    Options
    Because it is hard work and it is easier to just quit. When you get sick of the yo-yo, when you can overcome the bad attitude, that is when you find it easier to stick with it.

You know, I didn't think that I had a bad attitude, but now that you mention it, I really do. I have gained 8 pounds back in ONE month. I am pissed at myself, and the fact that I will most likely have this argument with myself for the rest of my life is quite depressing. I need to go workout. I bet it will help with this ****ty attitude! Thank you.
  • Tammi140
    Options
    Oh, and by the way, I am going to send you a friend request. You don't have to accept it if you dont want to, but I really appreciate your honesty.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

You know, I didn't think that I had a bad attitude, but now that you mention it, I really do. I have gained 8 pounds back in ONE month. I am pissed at myself, and the fact that I will most likely have this argument with myself for the rest of my life is quite depressing. I need to go workout. I bet it will help with this ****ty attitude! Thank you.

Yep, it can be a bad attitude about a lot of things. I had a bad attitude about exercise. I wanted to magically look great without it. I bet you know how that worked out for me. LOL! After who knows how many times trying and failing, it finally clicked.
  • Tammi140
    Options

Yep, it can be a bad attitude about a lot of things. I had a bad attitude about exercise. I wanted to magically look great without it. I bet you know how that worked out for me. LOL! After who knows how many times trying and failing, it finally clicked.
    Yep, I know exactly how that works :) I am going to head to the Y right now. Thanks for your support and encouragement!
  • kentmac
    kentmac Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Lots of foods these days are engineered to trigger the reward centers in our brains, making us actually crave them. These chemical urges are extremely strong, so they're tough to have to will your way through all day every day.

Also, people tend to think in terms of all or nothing. They let a single bad day lead to a week long backslide, which turns them off the diet completely. Instead, make small habit and lifestyle changes that don't dramatically disrupt your way of life. You won't make a mind blowing 12 week transformation this way, but as the healthy habits push out the unhealthy one, your body will change, and you will be able to sustain these changes!
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Ok... so maybe I need some friends that will feel free to be completely honest with me. I like to eat healthy, I like to work out, I like wearing smaller clothing, and I like how I feel while I am doing these things. I hurt my knee recently and for some unknown reason, it was like a relief! Like whew, now I dont have to excersize and eat right! REALLY???? Why does my brain do that to me??? I want to feel good! And eating healthy and excersizing does that for me. In knowing that, why do I have to continually have to fight with myself to do the right things???

Because being unhealthy is easier, I read through the rest of the posts, I totally had a bad attitude as well before I got my swift kick in the *kitten* from my husband. I would be more than happy to be your friend here if you like? :)
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    You have to keep a positive attitude. I find that as soon as I start getting negative, either because I slip up and feel bad about it, or I don't lose x amount of pounds within x amount of time, then that temptation to fall back starts to creep up.

I keep a folder full of encouraging quotes & things to build me up during these times and meditate on them, as nerdy as it seems it works! Here are a few of my favorites!

24xf7rt.jpg
    nlzh2c.png
    2qa94kp.jpg
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Second Law of Thermodynamics,very loosely translated....everything tends towards disorder without energy being added.

The more energy (attention) you put into being aware of you caloric intake, the closer you can get to a weight that you want (order).

Maintenance weight is homeostasis.....balance of calories in and calories out to maintain a more constant weight.

I shouldn't stretch a metaphor and and actual physical laws this far, but it works for me.
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this lately. I'm really motivated right now and exercising each day. I know I'll lose a fair bit of weight. Because Ive done it so many times! I've lost and gained the same 3 stone about 4 times over! Not good. I plan to always log on here now forever, even if it's a 'bad' day. Then I hopefully will have a bad day or two not bad few weeks or months! Sure I may not spend as much time on the forums etc. But logging is quick enough. I'm determined to finally get to my ideal goal and maintain it this time. Afterall, what's the point of all this if we end up at square one again!
  • Tammi140
    Options
    I love it! Especially the 1st one :) I have been looking for an insprational desk calendar. Hope to find one soon.
  • Tammi140
    Options
    I've been thinking about this lately. I'm really motivated right now and exercising each day. I know I'll lose a fair bit of weight. Because Ive done it so many times! I've lost and gained the same 3 stone about 4 times over! Not good. I plan to always log on here now forever, even if it's a 'bad' day. Then I hopefully will have a bad day or two not bad few weeks or months! Sure I may not spend as much time on the forums etc. But logging is quick enough. I'm determined to finally get to my ideal goal and maintain it this time. Afterall, what's the point of all this if we end up at square one again!
    Agreed! I NEVER want to start over again! Even though I have only ost 18 pounds, I notice a huge difference in my well being. I friended you :) Thought we could help each other out :)
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Because sometimes no matter how well we had been doing, we still aren't quite ready mentally. I just have come to terms that I am going to have to excercise at least 3 times a week for the rest of my life in order to be a happy healthy individual. I don't need to go crazy and excercise every day because that is what burned me out and then I refuse to get my butt off the couch for weeks. So you have to set a realistic goal and ask yourself what can you do for the rest of your life? Unless you want to keep gaining and losing the same lbs over and over......