How do you deal with being the only one dieting?

Options
2»

Replies

• Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just eat a smaller portion.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I find it really hard when I cook because I'm on the diet, not my family or husband. I'm fine when hubby's working and I make dinner for myself. When I have to cook for both of us it's different. Am i the only one? How do you deal? Make seperate meals? Just eat less? And it's not that my husband does support me because he does but why should he cut back and restrict what he eats. Help!

This is not a diet -you definitely need to change your mindset about that.

My husband is 100% fully supportive but I wont ever let him go without anything that he likes, despite the fact he doesnt want me to go the extra mile for him. He keeps forgetting how much I love to cook (Spent many years working as a chef and miss that), so its definitely never an issue to make his favorites.

Ill use tonight's dinner as an example: Czechoslovakian meatballs. Its a paprika-styled sauce with sauerkraut, thinly sliced onions, white mushrooms in this bold and beautiful red creamy sauce using sour cream. Traditionally its served over buttered egg noodles with a crusty roll for sopping up the sauce and a side dish of freshly steamed green beans.

Ill make the traditional buttered egg noodles for him w/the roll.... For me, I take out my spiral slicer and make faux noodles out of zucchini and saute them in butter, garlic, fresh herbs and use that as the 'bed'.

He gets what he likes, I get what I like. I always make enough for four servings total (our dinner and a leftover meal for the next day)...

My husband though very much enjoys the dishes I create and even enjoys the meals where its just protein and vegetables....

Its never an 'issue' that I just 'deal' with it... but the mentality behind it can definitely put a damper on efforts or encourage it.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My wife complains about my diet when she's trying to cook for me because she always wants to make potatoes and stuff outside of my carb windows. Then she complains when I'm eating ice cream at 10PM and telling me what a hypocrite I am because I wouldn't eat a "healthy" potato earlier, but I'll eat "unhealthy" ice cream. My response is always, "Honey, I'm down 28 lbs in four months and I'm stronger than I've ever been. I'm going to go count my abs now while you add up my PL total." She usually makes a face, but it typically reminds her that I study this stuff all the time, there's a plan, and it's working, so she can live with it and be happy that I'm stronger and healthier.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I don't feed my family any differently when I'm trying to lose weight. I always prioritize healthy eating, and I think as the cook in the family it is an act of love to feed them lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, beans, etc. The difference is, I'll measure out my portions and track it.

This. If they don't like what I'm making (which 90% of the time is healthy) then they don't eat....they always eat, btw.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    My youngest is 5'10 and 110lbs... so she has to eat like a pig just to keep up.

They're supportive, though. I make mostly healthy stuff and give myself smaller portions or just skip the dish. Why the like mac 'n cheese is beyond me!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    My DH eats the same things I'm eating but bigger portions. It's kind of hard when we're watching Netflix, and he gets a bowl of chips or trail mix. Sometimes I have to leave the room to keep my hand out of it. Sigh ......... and sometimes I let myself indulge. Bummer!
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I don't cook seperate meals often--I do all the cooking so it makes it easier for me to keep track of what goes into the meals, and I try to keep them healthy and/or healthy portions, DH is a picky eater so sometimes if I want extra veggies in my meal I cook them seperate, others I just mix in and he eats them. He is not a fish eater so on days that I want fish I cook a second meat for him but the base of the meal stays the same.

As far as snacking I try to limit the junk foods in the house, it also helps that DH doesn't have a huge sweet tooth mainly snacking on apples and tortilla chips (I don't like the kind he loves so that makes it easy to stay away) and salsa.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a diet. 135 pounds lost, and this is how I eat now. I track calories (for now), but I'm not and have never been on a "diet" - which signifies an end point, which suggests that weight loss is the only goal here (it absolutely is not, for me).

We all eat the same meals in my house. It would be odd for me to eat healthy foods but cook unhealthy meals for my family. I'm a good cook; no one complains :) We still have pasta, shepherd's pie, pulled pork, curries, burgers, etc.

My husband might eat more than me; he might drink more beer or have more snacks, have a bun with his burger when I wrap mine in romaine, or put syrup on his pancakes. He doesn't track his calories, and I do. That's probably the only major difference between us.

When I started MFP, my husband - by proxy - lost 30 pounds without trying. He's effortlessly maintained that loss and is at the weight he wants to be. My healthy choices affect my family in a good way. We're in this together.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I don't diet, I don't see the point as it's just short term. You want something you can continue to do for life.
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am trying to follow The SImple Diet, which consists of frozen entrees, fruit and veggies and weight loss shakes.

My 17 year old can eat the house and not gain weight. My husband eats anything that doesn't eat him first and is obese.

I do my own thing. If they don't like it, then I can't help it. I am on this journey for me and no one else!
  • time4changexx
    time4changexx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    P.s. a diet is the customary amount of food a person takes in on a day to day basis. It can also mean restrictive which is what I'm seeing people are saying

Everyone in the world has a diet.

So please don't tell me I need to change my way of thinking or that you don't have a diet.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Don't cook diet food. Cook healthy, well balanaced food and consume a reasonable amount of it. If your husband won't eat healthy, well balanced food, he can cook for himself.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    P.s. a diet is the customary amount of food a person takes in on a day to day basis. It can also mean restrictive which is what I'm seeing people are saying

So please don't tell me I need to change my way of thinking or that you don't have a diet.

Oh, come on.

You said "dieting" - look at the title of this post. You also said, "I'm on the diet, not my family or husband."

If your argument is that some responders are being ridiculous because "everyone in the world has a diet" why did your say your husband does not? Does he not eat food?

It is obvious what you were asking. No one here said that they "don't have a diet." They said they are not ON a diet.

You know exactly what we meant, and we knew exactly what you meant by your post. You asked it, we gave our responses. No need to play coy about it.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Oh, come on.

You said "dieting" - look at the title of this post. You also said, "I'm on the diet, not my family or husband."

If your argument is that some responders are being ridiculous because "everyone in the world has a diet" why did your say your husband does not? Does he not eat food?

It is obvious what you were asking. No one here said that they "don't have a diet." They said they are not ON a diet.

You know exactly what we meant, and we knew exactly what you meant by your post. You asked it, we gave our responses. No need to play coy about it.

ShannonMpls - thank you....

To the OP - it would have been nice if you had said 'thank you' to everyone because clearly everyone offered great suggestions... clearly you have some issues at home with regard to you 'being the only one dieting' - as you have included that in not just your thread title, but also the body of the initial post you made.....it was enough to motivate you to post a thread seeking out people who feel like their dieting is also affecting others in the home. No one gave you any issues, arguments or problems... we all tried to help you with suggestions, offered feedback, and shared our own current/previous experiences - just as you requested.

The 'change your mindset' in my first post to you was in reference to you, the original poster, commenting on yourself that you "on a diet", that you are "the only one dieting".... that can have a negative impact on anyone. The fact that you shared in your thread, that you are dieting, well... that paints the picture right there.... and I wasnt the only one who saw that. You dont need to take things so personally, in fact.. you really have no reason to be. Its pretty much like ShannonMpls said..... you asked, we answered.. it was all very civil...
  • SycReid
    SycReid Posts: 14
    Options
    At home, it's pretty fine. When I'm eating (thank God, my brother doesn't make fun of it). He doesn't eat much around the house anyways.
    At school, most of the time me and my friends eat in fast foods or restaurants or what. Good thing, I have my own packed lunch. It's healthier. But sometimes I can't really resist it. I just order one meal and eat it anyways. And hate myself for one day. lol.