Would you consider this fast food?

Options
Here's my little question. If you eat strictly from a fast food joint's "healthy" menu (I use that term loosely), would you consider that fast food or not simply because it's on the healthy menu. For example, when I eat Jack in the Box, I always choose a Fajita Pita, fruit smoothie or Teriyaki bowl, for example. Rubio's has their Health Mex burritos I occasionally indulge in. Then again, even though McDonald's now has a healthy menu, I don't know if I'd ever eat from there! So would you consider it fast food and if so or if not, reasons? I'm basically trying to work out some logic to my eating. Also, my weight has been steadily decreasing and I do strength workouts, so at least on paper, this doesn't appear to be affecting me too negatively. Thoughts and input?

Replies

• lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Less noxious than the regular menu, but not necessarily healthy. :sick:
  • gennyvieve
    Options
    fast food is fast food, whether it's "healthy" or not----i think it's the sodium that makes it so bad for you, which is why i had to give up chik-fil-a *sniff sniff*
  • ractayjon
    Options
    I dont consider eating from a fast food/take out restuarant "bad" as long as you are honest to yourself about what you are eating.
    With that said - yes I consider that fast food. If it is processed in any way I consider it fast food....even things at the grocery store that are processed are fast food to me. Things that are fast are made that way by adding other things to make them fast. Anything at a restaurant is preserved in some way in order to get it to the restaurant. to me Jack in the Box/McD's/Chili's/Olive Garden etc etc are all "fast foods" -- Im mean if you go to a restuarant and order the chicken special it comes to you in 10 minutes - if you are cookig the same chicken special at home it is going to take a lot longer then 10 minutes - hence the 'fast'
    "Fast" food are things that are easy for our go go go lifestyle.
    At least thats how I look at it.
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Oh my hold the sodium please! Personally I maybe do fast food 1 time a year, some people are fine having it and others (like me) just can't even smell it without gaining 50 pounds! I'd say try to limit this as much as possible and make sure you know what's in it. :flowerforyou:

In my mind, if it comes from a fast food joint, than it is fast food ;)
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    it is fast food, but why does it matter what it's called?
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I still think of it as fast food because it's coming from a fast food establishment. I enjoy Subway once in a while and I still consider it fast food even if I get a salad.

But that said, I dont think there's any reason why I cant indulge in "fast food" as long as I make better choices than what I used to make.

As an example, when I used to go to Subway, pre MFP days I'd have a footlong with the works - loaded with meat and cheese and full fat sauces, now it's a 6" or salad with veggies and fat free dressing. When we order pizza, mine is always veggies, no cheese and I have 2 slices and close the box. Pre MFP days it was a super meaty and Id eat an entire medium pizza myself. No wonder I got up to 350lbs! Yikes!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on where it was cooked. if it was prepared and made in your home, it is a home-cooked meal; if it was packaged and later heated in the microwave, it is convenience food; if you ordered it from a restuarant with hand-held menus, it is a sit-down meal; if you ordered from a menu board or in the drive-thru, it is fast food. regardless of the 'what' that was ordered. :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Steer away from anything with a drive through window or menu sitting outside the restaurant. It's all garbage. You can make it healthier, tastier, and cheaper at home. Really, it's not that hard!
  • stormdragon777
    Options
    Wow guys, I appreciate all the input! I guess my bottom line is I do indulge, just nowhere NEAR as much as I used to. Until a few months ago, I ate what I wanted when I wanted and noticed some curves that didn't used to be there. So I started making better choices (like one of you mentioned, maybe not necessary "heathly") and I'm noticing positive changes. Doesn't mean I go off and still eat like a crazy man, just that I'm more aware of over-indulging. The angles you've all mentioned make perfect sense, so that just means more knowledge I can use for myself. So, thank you guys.