5k..WHAT DO I DO?

Options
I got talked into doing a 5k nov.3rd today. I have no idea how to train for this. I mean I can run a mile without problems, im not that bad off but I don't know what to do to prepare for a 5k. Everything I read online is different. One blog will say you need 7 weeks others say 5. Im a good runner, I feel like 7 weeks is way too long, im in decent shape. HELP!! :) thanks

Replies

• heaterrr
    heaterrr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Check out couch to 5K.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If you go to about.com they have some good tips.
    One in particular is how to prepare for a 5k in one month:
    http://running.about.com/od/5kracetrainingschedules/a/Train-For-A-5k-In-One-Month.htm
  • nw00778
    nw00778 Posts: 22
    Options
    Check out couch to 5K.

They used to have a Couch to 5k class at my college. SInce Ive graduated I work out at LifeTime and they don't. Wish they did :(
  • Medical38
    Medical38 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have found Hal Higdon's training programs to be good for people who want to run but not get injured. His programs are free on the web. The link is http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50933/Novice-Training-for-your-first-5K. If this is your first 5K make your goal to finish. Best of luck to you.
  • DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    It might be difficult to increase your distance in that short amount of time. My suggestion - In the race, run as much as you can, walk when you need to. You won't be the only one that might need to walk a little. Great job for signing up! Keep training and set your goal to run a 5K nonstop. If you can't this time, its OK.
  • smiling_sushi
    smiling_sushi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Check out couch to 5K.

They used to have a Couch to 5k class at my college. SInce Ive graduated I work out at LifeTime and they don't. Wish they did :(

Couch to 5K is a free program you can do by yourself. http://www.c25k.com/
  • KLPlatinum
    Options
    I am currently doing Couch to 5K...even though I don't plan on doing one anytime soon! If can already run a mile, you could start on week 4 of the program. I don't know if that is recommended, but the program is designed for someone who does not run at all when they start. I found the first 2 weeks very easy and I hadn't ran in about a year. So I am thinking if you already run a little bit, you should be fine start out at week 4!
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I agree. Check out C25k. Since you're in pretty good shape already you may want to skip the first week or two... but take it slow and ease your way into it as much as you can.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Same here c25k, make sure you have good shoes, I learnt THAT the hard way
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am running about 6 km runs now. I started in Sept. I didnt follow C25K although I am sure its something similar. I just would count the light posts on the street. I would run one, walk one, and then if I felt ok I would run 2 and walk one, and then I just increased as I felt I could. My first 5 km was 33:30 and my fastest was 31:30. I use the Zombies, Run! app to make it fun. Its really fun.
  • DocCollins_SFA
    Options
    Start out with some interval training, walk/run, and then gradually increase the amount of time running. Don't push yourself too much and listen to your body because you don't want to risk injuring yourself with a race so soon. Also, lots of people walk or walk/run 5k's so don't at all feel bad if you don't run the entire thing the first time.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    While C25K is a great program I don't think it's going to get you to running a full 5K by November 3rd, although if you can already run for a mile, you can probably pick it up at that point and you might make it.

If no, then do the C25K intervals *DURING* the race. There's nothing wrong with walking part of it. I actually run all of my races in intervals and I finish faster than if I tried to run the whole thing.

Since you can already run a mile straight run the first mile and then walk for 2 minutes. Then run to the 2nd mile sign and walk for another two minutes. Then run that last mile or so until you cross the finish line. You've got this!
  • tjmist
    tjmist Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was/ am in a similar boat, I'm training for a 5k also on November 3rd, and I'm doing Hal Higdon's training schedule, but I jumped in on the last 3 weeks. If you can run 2.5 miles already you can start with the last 3 weeks and should be ready by November 3 in no time! Good luck!
  • nw00778
    Options
    I am running about 6 km runs now. I started in Sept. I didnt follow C25K although I am sure its something similar. I just would count the light posts on the street. I would run one, walk one, and then if I felt ok I would run 2 and walk one, and then I just increased as I felt I could. My first 5 km was 33:30 and my fastest was 31:30. I use the Zombies, Run! app to make it fun. Its really fun.

I just looked up that app and downloaded it. Looks fun! THANKS!
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    It's a 5K...you can run now...at least a mile....that's 1/3 of the way..just go out and see what you can do. Use it as your measuring stick for the next one. No one out there is going to say anything if you end up walking.

I am doing mine on Oct 27th.
  • nw00778
    Options

What kind of brand do y'all suggest? I wear nikes lunar somethings, but i don't think they are really for running... thanks!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

What kind of brand do y'all suggest? I wear nikes lunar somethings, but i don't think they are really for running... thanks!

Go get fitted at a running store. Everyone will have a different shoe based on their arch, pronation, and gait. A good running store will analyze all of these and give you some shoes to try on. The right shoe won't need to be broken in, you will just be able to go running. You may find that the lunar glides are actually just fine for you, or you might need a different shoe all together.

And I agree that c25k might be a little bit too 'beginner' for you if you can already run a mile comfortably. Honestly, if you can run 1, you can probably run 3, you'll just be really sore the next day. I would try to up your distance in the next few weeks, don't do anything crazy, walk if you need to on race day and have fun!
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    If your in good shape and can run no bother you'd prob be best off just jogging slowly 5k now every day or every other day and just work on increasing your time.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I second the running store for a fitting. While every brand might make a shoe that is right for you, the model of shoe will make a huge difference for each individual.

A good rule of thumb for increasing distance is never to run more than 10% farther than your previous longest run. So if you've been running for one mile straight, run 1.1 mile, then 1.2 miles, then 1.4 miles, then 1.6 miles then 1.8 miles then 2 miles... you get the idea. Make sure to throw in a 5 minute warm up walk and a 5 minute cool down walk, too.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The right shoes are important but you're 2 weeks away from your 5k so if you're going for new shoes do it now because you don't want to be breaking them in on race day. Also the main thing I can say at this stage is run, walk and have fun. Then if you really enjoy it (get hooked like a lot of us) look into some training programs and sign up for another race that gives you the time to train.