Drinking Alcohol and losing weight

Options
124»

Replies

• lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is. I tend to log what I drink, but I've definitely gone on some benders and still dropped weight. I mean if weightloss can be simplified as you have to burn more calories than you consume, then if you burn more calories over the course of the week than you can drink back over the weekend, then you should still be able to lose.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love my beer, and it's not light beer. We're talking good beer, like Arrogant *kitten* Ale, which is close to 200 cal. per 12 oz. And when I go to a place where the beer is on tap, it comes in pint glasses, 1/3 more than 12 oz. I log it when I drink and it sometimes puts my intake over what I'm allotted, but I enjoy it. I don't want to sacrifice the enjoyment. That makes losing weight even more of a pain. Bump up the exercise a little, eat a little less the next day, drink more water, and don't drink every day. Just be sure to count it when you do. If you can go for long periods without drinking, you'll probably lose weight faster, but if you're keeping track and excercising, you'll probably still lose weight, even if it's a little bit slower.
  • brnsgrsbody
    brnsgrsbody Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, great feedback!!! Love the support and motivation to think and drink if I want :-)
  • VinnyI82
    VinnyI82 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    We're talking good beer, like Arrogant *kitten* Ale

:D I love me some Ruination.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Today I ate citrus vodka soaked gummy bears... last night I drank cotton candy vodka and sprite zero, and I'm a regular user of marshmallow vodka, vanilla vodka, and whipped cream vodka :)
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge wine-o and I've lost almost fifty pounds. I just remind myself to only drink a glass and not classy box of wine.. :laugh:
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Dance it off. Work it off. Or...my personal favorite, run it off...just be sure you're not drinking as you run. It seems to generate unwanted attention by the boys in blue.

Tooooo funny !!!! Love it!!!

I drink while I workout- it's called Bacardio :)
  • saravsally
    Options
    I do! Gotta have my booze.... What else is there to do when you finally get the kids to bed?? Play MW3 with the hubster ( if you cant beat 'em; join 'em. And it feels bloody awesome now that Im better than he is) and chill......

When Im trying to lose weight though, I cut out beer and wine. Bring in the vodka, splash of cranberry ( I have to avoid citric acid :-( ). Just, obviously you cant drink it at the same rate one would drink beer....... well, you can. If you're the female version of Frank the Tank ( like this girl)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For whatever it's worth (your results may vary): I like wine. I drink wine.
    I gave up wine for a month and lost ONE pound. (I'm in maintenance mode)
    I am drinking wine again.
  • Strivingforhealth12
    Options
    I have lost 20 lbs since January and I drink wine daily. I do cardio daily to pay for those drinks but as I see it, this is a long haul game and I do not intend to give up anything per se. Life is about enjoying food, wine, company so I don't ban anything in moderation. If I go to the County Fair, I eat fried food. If I am at a Wedding or Birthday party and I want cake, I eat cake. Out for Mexican food, I might sip on a Margarita. I just build it into my calorie count and my Macros and give myself a break once in a while. This is the only life I have so I am choosing to live with joy and not deny myself something I enjoy.

I second this. Life is short.
  • marlenefowler
    marlenefowler Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind the average shot of vodka is around 95 calories in itself.......

Actually, that's not true. A shot of vodka has 64 calories... on average a shot of flavored vodka has 69 calories. So, a shot of flavored vodka + club soda would ring in at... yup, you guessed it - a delicious 69 calorie drink!

Now, I'm not saying that drinking is healthy and will help weight loss, but from a mathematical, calorie-counting perspective you can certainly have several drinks now and then, account for the calories, and lose weight no problem.

Note that if you drink chronically, that's a different story - as others mentioned, heavy drinking can have a big impact upon your body's ability to function properly.
    You are kidding!! Those yummy flavored vodkas only have 69 calories!!!???I didn't remember that! Mixed with diet 7 - it's not a bad splurge every once in a while!
  • DannPM31
    Options
    I drink everyday, a few vodka-cranberry-lime-seltzers a night, and accommodate for the caloric intake, and I feel it has had no negative impacts on weight loss.
  • CayleyRidgeRunner
    CayleyRidgeRunner Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Dance it off. Work it off. Or...my personal favorite, run it off...just be sure you're not drinking as you run. It seems to generate unwanted attention by the boys in blue.

Tooooo funny !!!! Love it!!!

That running while drinking thing may or may not have ever happened a couple of times in New Orleans. ;)
  • jomorie
    jomorie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    :O can you be charged for being drunk in charge of a pair of sneakers?

and yes I like a vodka or 2 each day - I lost 5 lb last week and dont feel it is hindering my progress :]
  • CayleyRidgeRunner
    CayleyRidgeRunner Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    :O can you be charged for being drunk in charge of a pair of sneakers?

and yes I like a vodka or 2 each day - I lost 5 lb last week and dont feel it is hindering my progress :]

I was never charged, but the words "Disorderly Conduct" did raise my eyebrows, however I did tell the officer that I thought I was running a very orderly fashion.
  • brnsgrsbody
    brnsgrsbody Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20 lbs since January and I drink wine daily. I do cardio daily to pay for those drinks but as I see it, this is a long haul game and I do not intend to give up anything per se. Life is about enjoying food, wine, company so I don't ban anything in moderation. If I go to the County Fair, I eat fried food. If I am at a Wedding or Birthday party and I want cake, I eat cake. Out for Mexican food, I might sip on a Margarita. I just build it into my calorie count and my Macros and give myself a break once in a while. This is the only life I have so I am choosing to live with joy and not deny myself something I enjoy.

I second this. Life is short.

AMEN!!! I agree totally.....
  • blw1125
    Options
    I like my beer and do not hold back on eating. But like previous people have said I work my but off for it. I am averageing about 1 pound weight loss a week.
  • blw1125
    Options
    Also Hash Runs are specifically for "drinkers with a running problem"
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Yes I do and have been losing but you need to stay in your calorie range, which for me means low cal proteins.
    To not add any extra cals I do mix flavored vodka or spice rum with flavored water, coconut water or cocoa with stevia.
    With this than the only calories is the alcohol which has the same calories as a glass of juice. :wink: