expert help with vitamins

Options
First, here's some info on myself:
i am 18 years old and not overweight. i'm on this site to convert over to a "clean eating" lifestyle and watch my portion sizes. i have been working on perfecting a nutritional balanced diet for months now. i take a multi-vitamin every day, 'One-A-Day Teen Advantage for Her' to be exact. Also, because i live in a region where i hardly ever receive sufficient amounts of sunlight, i substitute my multi- for a Vitamin D supplement (2,000 IU) a few times a week.

Here is my question: should i be taking vitamins at all? i am concerned that i am consuming too many vitamins/minerals because of the combination of a balanced diet and the supplements. i just wanted some input on if this is something to be concerned about or if i should be taking in any nutrients i can get.

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    It is nearly impossible to get all your vitamins and minerals from diet alone...The only vitamins that are not eliminated from the body are A, D, E and K...So, during the winter, I would continue to maintain the vitamin D daily...I just started taking them because of all the increased research on the benefits. Also, fish oil is excellent if you aren't able to eat the omega 3's. You would want to make you are getting enough calcium (we only build calicium in our 20's and early 30's). After that, you have to use your reserves if diet doesn't cover it. Lastly, iron, I assume you have a menstral cycle. Assess if you need that. Good job on the healthy lifestyle
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    talk to your doc. That said there are some vitamins that are fat soluble and some that are water soluble. The fat soluble vitamins are stored in your body in eccess and the water soluble vitamins are flushed out more quickly. Although unlikely, there are toxic levels of vitamins and minerals that your body can't handle. the best sources are always food sources not only for essential nutrients, but also phytochemicals that are naturally occuring and are being proven to have health benefits when consumed( think lycopene or beta carotene) and are no longer present if plants are overly processed. Phytochemicals are not present in supplements. My gyno said to take calcium and a D supplement
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    It is nearly impossible to get all your vitamins and minerals from diet alone...The only vitamins that are not eliminated from the body are A, D, E and K...So, during the winter, I would continue to maintain the vitamin D daily...I just started taking them because of all the increased research on the benefits. Also, fish oil is excellent if you aren't able to eat the omega 3's. You would want to make you are getting enough calcium (we only build calicium in our 20's and early 30's). After that, you have to use your reserves if diet doesn't cover it. Lastly, iron, I assume you have a menstral cycle. Assess if you need that. Good job on the healthy lifestyle

Do not take iron unless you're anemic. This can be harmful in too large of an amount. Because of the risk of poisoning, iron is not even included in a children's multi. Even though a full grown woman is much larger, the possibility of getting too much is still there
  • jgrant
    Options
    Check out Arbonne's vitamin hybrid packs, they are in an am and pm formula and include your calcium, multi vitamin, multi mineral, superfood and digestive enzymes. go to jennifergrant.myarbonne.com
  • nisijam5
    Options
    talk to your doc. That said there are some vitamins that are fat soluble and some that are water soluble. The fat soluble vitamins are stored in your body in eccess and the water soluble vitamins are flushed out more quickly.

The fat soluble vitamins are A,D,E & K which are stored in the body and not eliminated
  • nisijam5
    Options
    It is nearly impossible to get all your vitamins and minerals from diet alone...The only vitamins that are not eliminated from the body are A, D, E and K...So, during the winter, I would continue to maintain the vitamin D daily...I just started taking them because of all the increased research on the benefits. Also, fish oil is excellent if you aren't able to eat the omega 3's. You http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/83349-expert-help-with-vitamins?quote=1146132#would want to make you are getting enough calcium (we only build calicium in our 20's and early 30's). After that, you have to use your reserves if diet doesn't cover it. Lastly, iron, I assume you have a menstral cycle. Assess if you need that. Good job on the healthy lifestyle

Do not take iron unless you're anemic. This can be harmful in too large of an amount. Because of the risk of poisoning, iron is not even included in a children's multi. Even though a full grown woman is much larger, the possibility of getting too much is still there

Again, if you have a menstrual cycle, you would want to take an iron supplement which is probably in your multi-vitamin...Yes, iron can be toxic...so, you would not want to a prenatal vitamin which contain extra iron for developing fetuses or iron in addition to your multi.