Struggling!

Options
I have been a yoyo dieter and binge eater since as long as I can remember! About a year ago I decided it was time to stop blaming my medical conditions and own up and take responsibility. This past year has been the hardest year, I feel depressed, and stressed and like no matter how hard I try I cant get it together and soon give up and go back to my normal binging ways! I just want to know how you all do it! I look at all of your blogs, and stories and wish I could be that good and that dedicated. I just want to know what it takes! In the last year I have lost 5 lbs and gained 4. I just would love to know how you stay so dedicated!

Replies

• ksimon09
    Options
    I am so with you on this. I lost 12 at the beginning of the new year when I decided to get healthy...but again quickly gave up and gained it back plus 6 more! I have been trying again for the past month or so and have lost about 2-4 pounds give or take the day but still struggle every day. Best of luck to you. If you need support I am here. Try to take it one day at a time that is what I am trying to do. If you find an answer/suggestions message me.
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Write down your goals and put them on your fridge for you and all who comes over to see everyday. I did this about a month ago of about 10-15 mini goals to get to my main goal of losing 60 lbs. I am now almost to my first goal. My husband now knows what my goals are and he is now thinking of writing some goals down for himself.
    Getting involved with the groups on here helps you to make friends with similar goals as well. This site has really become my Facebook. In the words of Dory " Just keep swimming" :happy: :happy:

Feel free to add me
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm tempted to throw my goals to the wind, I go look at "success stories".

I make my goals more about incorporating more fitness and less about eating nothing.

I don't diet too extreme. Once I got to a weight where I had a lot of clothes in that size, I slowed down. I'm probably clocking about -1 lb every two weeks but I am still in the negative AND I'm not starving. I don't mind losing slow, but I want to lose.

The support on here is cool and it also helps me to substitute my mfp forum addiction for my snack addiction. :)

I dunno! Those are things that help me. Good luck!! You can do it!!
  • oatie_25
    Options
    My son just turned 2 and I am still carrying all the baby weight. My mom took some pictures of us last month and when I saw myself that was enough motivation to get me started. I'm not a fan of counting calories at all but I love it now, and it helps me see exactly what I am putting in my body.
    I put up pictures of what I looked like before my pregnancy and after, and that is huge help for me to stay focused. I also took before pictures, I have one for my profile picture, and the other ones I sent to my close friends and told me them send me that picture anytime I said I wanted to eat something bad! It is extremely hard, but I want to be healthy and I also want to raise my son with good eating habits. The longer you wait the harder it is, the older you get, the harder it is. Find a good support group and just do this for you! You can do anything you put your mind to!! Good Luck!! :smile: :smile:
  • brooookeexo
    brooookeexo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with you. it is hard to stay motivated & keep off what you lose. I lost 17 pounds this year & gained back 15 :( Binge eating can be so hard to control...
  • rubix08
    rubix08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    After a while it became just a routine for me, but I know at the beginning it was the worst because there were so many times when I had to resist the temptation to just grab a burger somewhere like I normally would have, or I had to really force myself to get out and exercise. This is the first major change I have made, I've tried to diet before and it lasted a while but the weight came back. This time around I decided I wanted to make a lifestyle change. I needed to change my eating habits and my exercise routine (which was non-existent at the time) and it needed to be a long term thing, not just something I did for a few months then went back to the way things were.

Untimely I started slow and small: I didn't throw all the soda in my apartment away, I just didn't buy anymore and spread out what I had left. Same with food, I would slowly replace the processed snack food when it was gone with healthier choices. Instead of trying to spend hours at the gym every time I just took a walk after dinner. After a while things just became standard and routine. Now I don't really have to think about that kind of stuff anymore. Some nights I do a workout video and lift weight, others I go for a run. I plan out my meals so I can see what I'm eating and try to make sure that most of it is healthy and clean but I will have some treats in there as well since it helps keep me sane.

For me it was just about making a transition into something that was easily doable within my schedule then over time I would increase my exercise routine and it became a steady way of life for me.
  • oatie_25
    Options
    Dont look at it like a diet, look at this as a new healthy life style, because you want this to last the rest of your life!
  • bander21
    bander21 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Sometimes I see success stories, and I feel so alone like why can't I do that to. It is good to know that there are other people out there that struggle like I do too. Thank you for all your support! I really appreciate it!