Depression...

Options
Does anyone deal with depression??? If so, how do you let it NOT affect your weight loss journey?

Replies

• NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know the same, I'm so tired from fighting this mental barrier and I don't want depression to be something that defines me.
  • lilibetnix
    lilibetnix Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think that something that helps me when I'm feeling depressed (mind you, I don't have clinical depression) is that I don't think of it as a barrier or a something that I need to fight. I used to do that, and it made me feel worse because it added anxiety and guilt. Now, when I start getting those depressive feelings, I just go with it. I don't fight it, I usually just tell myself, "Okay, this is how I'm feeling right now." I know that sounds really useless, but its the best thing that I've done. Sometimes, I just allow myself a few days of feeling depressed, I know the world will right itself again, and when I get back into my exercises, I feel much better. But depression isn't something you should fight or be ashamed of. It doesn't define you. It's just how you are feeling right now. And it's perfectly fine.
  • AlisonH2
    Options
    I've suffered from depression and been unhappy with my weight as long as I can remember. When I'm depressed and stressed, I overeat. Just recognising the link was a step for me. Now, I know that exercise helps my mood immensely - and I mean quite hard exercise that gets you sweating and out of breath. I know it's hard to get going, especially when you feel down, but I can promise you it works.
    I also see a therapist who does cognitive behavioural therapy and that really works for me. You can try it out online at a website called Mood Gym.

Mostly, be nice to yourself. Judging from your pic, you are gorgeous and probably not as overweight as you think you are. I am, realistically, 5kg overweight, have been about 7 or 8 - but I go on about it as if I am really obese when I am in a down mood. Yes, depression makes it a bit harder - but if somebody told you it was difficult to lose weight because they were diabetic or had a broken leg, you'd be nice to them about it, so treat yourself with the same kindness. You deserve it!
  • AlisonH2
    Options
    Wise words:smile:
  • Missmsg
    Options
    Look up info on vitamin b-12 deficiency. I am not sure if you have been diagnosed with depression but a friend of mine is b-12 deficient with same symptoms. Once she took supplements she did a whole lot better.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    The best thing I've found to fight depression is the #1 thing I do NOT want to do when I'm depressed - work out. I make a deal with myself that I only have to work out for 10 minutes and I can stop. At least that's SOMETHING, right? But once I've gotten changed and shoes on, I get to the 10 minutes and keep going every single time. Then when I'm done, I have accomplished something towards my goal and nothing feels better than that. The first couple times were the hardest, but it's getting easier and easier because I know it's an instant mood lift.
  • valerieknox
    valerieknox Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I try to make achievable, reasonable goals so I don't have to shame myself for not succeeding. And peptalk myself for the small things, like having a healthy breakfast or doing 15 min of home pilates. My depression tends to make me overly self critical, so that's personally my main focus. But I agree, it's tricky, especially since I like to eat junk food whenever I'm down. Days I don't have the energy to cook a healthy meal, but want to avoid eating frozen pizza I try to make compromises. Maybe using some things which are pre-made, like a powder soup, but add some fresh veggies or frozen spinach in it.
  • heykaraoke
    heykaraoke Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I didn't get serious about weight loss until I got my depression under control with meds and therapy. That's a tired line, but it's what worked for me. I had episodes that lasted for months, even years. I had a complete inability to think positively because depression took that away from me. It was a struggle every single day. So, yeah, lots of trial and error with the meds until I found one that actually helps. And a good therapist to talk to and help see the patterns in my behavior and thoughts so I can head off any potential episodes in the future. A good support network helps, too - friends or family that you trust to be your "cheerleader."
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Does anyone deal with depression??? If so, how do you let it NOT affect your weight loss journey?

That's a really tough question. In my case it was a cycle...being depressed made me fat, and being fat made me depressed. It's a tough cycle to break.

The biggest thing that helped me was finding something other than food to fill the void. It took forcing myself back into study (I dropped out of university once before), cutting out binge drinking and negative behaviours, and really looking at WHY I felt unhappy in general, and then how those things lead to my unhealthy relationship with food. I found that once I cleaned up my life, and started doing things that felt purposeful, I became a happier person and my issues with food started to fix themselves.

Everyone has a different experience with depression though, and just because this worked for me it doesn't mean it is a solution for everyone. And I'm certainly not suggesting that I'm "cured", there will always be up days and down days. I think looking at the reasons why you are unhappy is an important first step, and then focus on making one small change at a time.

If you slip back, don't let it turn into a slippery slope. You have to learn to be okay with the fact that you will have moments of weakness, but that you are committed to making this change in the long term and one bad day, or even a bad week, won't change that.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I began losing weight after my eating in depression and gain of 30 pounds over a few months led to drinking in depression. Apparently living off whiskey and cigarettes for the most part led to me losing ten pounds in 2 months without noticing. I was surprised by the weight loss and it gave me the push to work out and eat healthily to lose more. I didn't just go from eating "junk" or overeating to eating healthy, I had to push myself to eat, period. I like to look at weight loss as an anti-depressant. Working out makes me feel good, and even in those times when you want to curl up into a ball and do nothing, you have to FORCE yourself to go out for a walk, a bike, SOMETHING to get you moving-because once you are actually doing the walk/ect., you break the hold of depression, at least that happened with me. Now I still FORCE myself to cook long, fun meals, take long bike rides, ect., and sometimes it is a daily struggle-but that is a hump I am willing to deal with. I feel so much happier getting exercise and eating well, and when these methods lead to weight loss, it doubles my self esteem :]
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Without a support system, it seems almost impossible to tackle depression and the affects on eating/diet.
    Medications have the potential to both hinder or help, which isn't much use.
    It is a difficult thing to live with.
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Depression if we are talking about it in the clinical sense requires therapy and or medication to combat it. I have been taking a drug called citalopram for about 12 years now and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

If you are a depressed person, your brain literally needs help getting the chemicals balanced and once the right medication and dose are in place that cloud of depression will cease to be.

That's not my opinion, it's my actual experience... Best of luck on getting well :smile:
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Try taking a multivitamin with magnesium and omega 3 fish oil to see if it helps.
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with clinical depression for several years, and it certainly does affect my ability to lose weight, work out, control my eating, etc etc etc. I've done several things to address it - I've talked to a therapist to explore what triggers it / makes it work, how to catch myself before falling to deep into it, how to pull myself out, etc... I've also taken prescription medication, which I have to say helped me have the motivation to make other positive changes in my life in general.
    I noticed a Very significant improvement in my mental health when I changed up my diet, though. Several months ago I cut out almost all processed foods (pre-packaged stuff? Only if I make it and "pre-package" it for myself!), cut out breads and pastas and beans, most sweets though I do have a little dark chocolate now and then... and I greatly increased my meat and vegetable intake. It can be a lot of work, but i've discovered that I really like cooking - I have fun making delicious things that are healthy! AND - after eating like this for a few months, I was able to cut my antidepressant dosage in half. I feel healthier mentally now taking half the drugs than before taking the larger amount, and I definitely credit my change in diet.
    I don't stick to it perfectly - what I'm following is loosely paleo/primal eating, but I'm not being fanatic about it. If I'm out with friends, I may make healthy paleo type choices, or I may splurge... but as much as I used to love pasta and sweets, I never crave pasta/bread anymore and rarely crave sweets.... so it's not as hard to stick to as I thought it would be.
    Now, if you're taking antidepressants I'm not saying to go changing up your dosage - talk to your doctor! But, consider eating healthier "whole" foods - more natural stuff that you cook yourself... less preservatives... and you just might find that your mind as well as body feel better :-)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    There is a relationship between depression and eating/weight gain, etc. It is actually part of the diagnostic framework to determine if depression is present. Diet/exercise actually can help depression symptoms get better though. By increasing activity level (particularly aerobid) we release endorphins and actually can help fight depressive symptoms... Of course the key is feeling like getting up and doing something.... Sometimes that is a challenge. B12 of course is a precursor to serotonin so increasing that may help; maintaining proper medicaiton and therapy can help as well. As for me, I am not diagnosed with depression though I have had a single episode a couple of years back of a clinical hypo-manic episode over a few weeks (0-2 horus sleep per night, flight of thoughts, rapid speech, and elated mood)... and probably have had a few times when my mood has been low with some level of agitation; exercise though tends to HELP with this though, especially during the exercise period itself... It is just getting the energy up to do it... That being said, since I am down 111 lbs since the beginning of the year, it appears maybe I have been able to accomplish soemthing despite those episodes.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • xxbookwormbabexx
    xxbookwormbabexx Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Although they didn't work for me, I would strongly recommend therapy and possibly medication. At least try it. If those don't work, I would suggest what I did that has recently made a dent in my depression: take krill/fish oil capsules every night, get enough vitamin D, work out daily, get enough sleep, and eat a better diet.

It's different for everyone, and yes is effects weight loss.

I know it is SO hard... but try to remember that you aren't alone and that it does take time. You will not be in this dark place for ever.!

Best luck & blessings.
  • xxbookwormbabexx
    xxbookwormbabexx Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    As far as not letting it affect me... I think of weight loss and fitness as my medication. If it helps me with my depression, I will do it.
  • shrikester
    shrikester Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been there... Depressed...It is not good for anything. It is a chemical disbalance and, since it is chemically generated, it can not be dealth with by pure will power. One of the things which can make me happy is food when I am depressed. I discovered that finding thing which can make you happy is the only way to deal with depression. Sound banal, but for me it works. It is hard, because when you are depressed nothing makes you happy. But it is a great chance to explore yourself. For me sport is a relief. Anything from running to Yoga. It changes the balance inside and makes it a little bit better. People are often depressed when they are unrealistic and are too strict with themselves, but often we confuse depression with anxiety. That is important change. THere are plenty of notes about that in the net.

Good luck!
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm one of the few people who can't eat when I'm depressed. I find that the best way for me to combat my depression is to take the time to prepare healthy meals and exercise. When I start getting too busy or too stressed to make a good breakfast or lunch before work, it starts me on the road to a depressive state ----First the negative talk - I'm not worth the trouble, etc. Then the lack of motivation to exercise - because it won't make any difference - then I fall into the black hole of why bother with anything because it will all end in a miserable failure because I am useless.

Since I've identified my pattern - I know that diet and execise is the key for me. For "normal" people the worst thing that happens to them if they become a couch potato is they are overweight and tired. For me the consequences are far worse. Now I don't let myself go more than 2 days before recognizing the road I'm on. Good luck and God bless!