Fat Kid turned Trainer, looking to help!

Options

Replies

• avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    That's awesome always looking for more fitness friends FR sent :smile:
  • Stila562
    Options
    yes Kent i have a question. lately i been eating lots of fat free cheese, is the cheese healthy or bad for me? Also what do you think of paneer cheese? i work out once a week or so :/.

Thanks!
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for answering all our questions. I am so lost on a few things, Can you please explain a few thing for me like do I go by my BMR or what MFP says my calories should be to lose 1.2 per week. My BMR is 1500 but MFP says I should be on 1200 calories a day to lose weight. I work out 5-6 days and range from 400-900 calories burned ( this is what my heart monitor says, seems MFP is way off on calories burned when you plug in that exercise. They are high on calories burned) Can you also explain the correct way to figure out my deficit? I guess I really don't understand how that works.

Thanks for all your help.
  • MissMertz
    Options
    Kent.. a friend is interested in becoming a trainer... what program did you go through?
  • TaraTLC83
    TaraTLC83 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump for future lurking
  • JenMcCrory
    JenMcCrory Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I actually put up an article recently explaining a bit more in detail why this can be beneficial. Give it a read here: http://www.kentmccannfitness.com/2012/09/13/5-leangains-lessons-for-non-fasters/

Thanks a mill good article off to read more now!
  • kentmac
    kentmac Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    yes Kent i have a question. lately i been eating lots of fat free cheese, is the cheese healthy or bad for me? Also what do you think of paneer cheese? i work out once a week or so :/.

Thanks!

Fat free cheese, while lower in calories, tends to have weird chemicals and added carbs. A little bit of whole fat cheese is fine, and, if you find cheese from grass fed cows, it is a great source of healthy fats. Just keep the serving reasonable and enjoy!

I love paneer cheese! I don't actually know anything about the nutritional contents, however, because I've only had it in restaurants.

And working out once per week is infinitely better than working out zero times per week! No need for :-/ faces! Find activities you enjoy in the gym and make fitness a part of your life, not a chore!

Best

Kent
  • kentmac
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for answering all our questions. I am so lost on a few things, Can you please explain a few thing for me like do I go by my BMR or what MFP says my calories should be to lose 1.2 per week. My BMR is 1500 but MFP says I should be on 1200 calories a day to lose weight. I work out 5-6 days and range from 400-900 calories burned ( this is what my heart monitor says, seems MFP is way off on calories burned when you plug in that exercise. They are high on calories burned) Can you also explain the correct way to figure out my deficit? I guess I really don't understand how that works.

Thanks for all your help.

The problem with any numbers in weight loss is that they are estimates. Your BMR, calories burned by exercise, even the caloric contents of food, they all have fairly large margins of error (10-20%, depending on who you ask.) Unfortunately, until you pick a daily caloric intake that's in the ballpark and just try it, there's no way to know if it's right for you.

With how much you're exercising, I'd suggest starting around 1500 calories per day and seeing how your body does. If you're losing weight without too much hunger (some is fine, but you shouldn't be ravenous,) and recovering from your workouts adequately, then you've found the sweet spot.

Hope that helps!

Best,
    Kent
  • kentmac
    Options
    Kent.. a friend is interested in becoming a trainer... what program did you go through?

I did NASM. It has a good amount on muscle imbalances and how to correct them, which I really liked, but I strongly disagree with some of the programming and nutrition components.

The best personal trainers are those that absorb information from all around them, all the time, and compose their own working knowledge base from what they've seen and what they've done. So tell your friend to take whichever course he (she?) wants, but to never stop learning and improving!
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I just started juicing and was wondering what are THE BEST fruits/veggies to juice to boost my metabolism?? Id like to drink at least two glasses of that a day! Thanks. :)
  • kentmac
    Options
    I just started juicing and was wondering what are THE BEST fruits/veggies to juice to boost my metabolism?? Id like to drink at least two glasses of that a day! Thanks. :)

Pretty much all fruits and veggies are full of micronutrients and phytochemicals, but locally grown tend to be better since they are actually allowed to ripen on the plant instead of being picked early and allowed to ripen on transport...

You really can't go wrong... pick vibrantly colored, fresh vegetables (preferably locally grown,) and go to town! My favorites are kale, spinach, berries, and banana, but experiment all you want!
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • askcupid117
    askcupid117 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    All of your advise is great! Thank you for taking the time to do this!
  • hopefulafteryears
    Options
    HI, I am a 56 year old married woman with two kids (17 and 14). I have gradually gained weight over the years and am now at 235 lbs. at 5'2". I have tried everything!!! MFP is my last hope. I work full time and have a very busy and fast paced life. Our days are constantly running and grabbing food on the run. I am trying to change that. I also know exercise is very important. I have hated it all my life and struggle to continue any exercise program I try to start. I am planning on exercising with light weights both upper and lower body but I don't have much time so I want to try and get the best workout in the least amount of time. Any suggestions for videos or exercises that I could benefit from. Also I have had both knees replaced due to arthritis which runs in our family.
  • kentmac
    Options
    HI, I am a 56 year old married woman with two kids (17 and 14). I have gradually gained weight over the years and am now at 235 lbs. at 5'2". I have tried everything!!! MFP is my last hope. I work full time and have a very busy and fast paced life. Our days are constantly running and grabbing food on the run. I am trying to change that. I also know exercise is very important. I have hated it all my life and struggle to continue any exercise program I try to start. I am planning on exercising with light weights both upper and lower body but I don't have much time so I want to try and get the best workout in the least amount of time. Any suggestions for videos or exercises that I could benefit from. Also I have had both knees replaced due to arthritis which runs in our family.

In terms of eating on the go, your best strategy is to plan ahead! Spend one evening a week cooking a BUNCH of healthy food, and store it for later. I do almost all of my cooking on Sundays (heaps of chicken breasts, all sorts of different veggies,) and then I'm set for the whole work week! Also, for healthy eating on the go, give this a quick once over: http://www.kentmccannfitness.com/2012/10/16/how-to-eat-healthily-at-a-restaurant/

In terms of exercise, the best place to start is to find something you really love doing. I'm passionate about lifting heavy weights, but some people love yoga, some love dancing, some love rock climbing or hiking. If you can't stand a workout, you're going to lament your whole way through the process... which is silly, because self improvement should be rewarding! Start by finding something you love, and that enjoyment will seep into other aspects of exercise over time!

Best!

Kent McCann
    Personal Trainer + Nutrition Coach

Hope that helps.
  • hopefulafteryears
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. Helps a lot!
  • kentmac
    Options
    Some great questions so far guys!

Keep 'em coming if you got 'em!
  • Hayaa79
    Hayaa79 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Hey thnxxx for ur time & concern, will definitely get back to U :)
  • kimmireads
    kimmireads Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for giving back to MFP your help is and will be appreciated by many. :)
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    I am 5'11'', 240 pounds. I have been very active in martial arts in the past. However since being on graveyard and switching to a very inactive new job i just don't have the energy or drive to continue in martial arts. With that said i am trying to motivate myself to start my strength training but i am having trouble determining when i can do it. I have tried both before and after my graveyard shift and i just can't do it consistently. I do sometimes have success when i work out after i wake up in the middle of the day though. My schedule, and my goals, continue to be hard for me to pinpoint. I need to start working out in a way where i won't get too pooped out. I find that when i really try to "hit it hard" i loose my drive pretty fast.

One of my main issues is that i have trouble figuring out what is the best way for me to work out. I am always confused as to whether or not i should be more focused on cardio or lifting. So here is my question.............

I currently look a lot like your before pic..............how would you recommend i begin to transition myself closer to the after pic?

Thanks................and it is really great that you take the time to answer questions on here.