What is the healthiest indian meal I can have?

Options
Dear all, I'm going out with work this week and I'm having to choose my food options. I was going to go for a chicken shashlik and a vegetable curry but I'm not sure if that is the best option? I dont eat too many carbs so having a biriyani won't do - please let me know what you think is best.

Muchos love
Fx

Replies

• Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I was told to stay away from the creamy dishes and opt for either dry dishes or hot dishes!
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    The vegetable curry could have a lot of fat in it. Shaslic is quite good as are the tandoori dishes without the creamy sauce. Maybe look at a lentil side dish for some carbs. I sometimes go for cauliflower or spinach bhajee, particularly the latter as it is dry fried. I love rice but am well aware of the carbs in it and quantities. Tomato based curries are good. Finally, I love curry and sometimes eat what I want (including rice) but only half and then take the rest home for the next day. The two curry restaurants i go to on a regular basis know me well so I ask them to serve me half the quantities and bag up the rest before it comes to the table. That way I am not tempted to eat too much. It works for me! Good luck..
  • floatymonkey
    floatymonkey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bhajees are usually deep fried and very fattening. I don't think I've ever had them dry fried and I'm sure a lot of the restaurants deep fry them too.

I would go for the chickpea curry/sholay or daal (lentils), they're made without cream. Otherwise Saag/spinach is good without the cheese (paneer). Lamb Rogan Josh usually doesn't have cream either but this varies according to restaurants. The naans are baked in an oven so they're not too bad.

Make sure you ask if the poppadoms are fried - a lot of people don't realise that restaurants deep fry poppadoms because it's quicker and makes them crunchier!
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I would go with the naan and lentils. Lentils are great- lots of protein and low carbs. Raita (yogurt sauce) is fine. Usually the chickpea dishes are low too. Chicken tandoori or any kind of tandoori is good too since they are just marinaded in yogurt and then grilled.

Veges might be more difficult. Saag paneer (spinach with cheese) is usually cooked in cream. The curry dishes from restaurants often contain cream. I don't think the califlower & potato dish use cream in the curry sauce though so that could be an option.

Most of all don't worry if you accidently eat something high calorie. Just enjoy and get back on track the next day.
  • frangelina84
    frangelina84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    you guys are amazing so I may go for chicken tikka and/or lentils? That should be ok right? No poppadoms or starters for me. Boring huh?! x
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    chicken (or other meat) cooked in the tandoor. tandoori chicken is GREAT!! get some mint chutney on the side for dipping.
  • PeteyogiW
    Options
    I was told to stay away from the creamy dishes and opt for either dry dishes or hot dishes!
    Hot dishes eh!!! I'll remember that :-)
  • davidrolfe79
    davidrolfe79 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Definitely nothing with a sauce.

Tikka or Tandoori meat. Then chickpeas or lentils.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Paneer Cheese and spinach ( Saag gost) is good!
    Not fried food but there's nothing wrong with coconut curry...It's healthy fat!
  • EPortJake
    EPortJake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Chicken Shishlik with a madras sauce is a great option IMO. The shishlik is cubes of tikka chicken on a skewer along with onion and pepper. If you get a hot sauce like madras you only need 3 or 4 tbsp which really cuts down on the calories. Plain rice. Avoid the breads as they are often brushed with ghee and being unleven are dense and calorie intense.