Safety and Early Morning Runs

Options
So, I've been trying to squeeze in runs when I can, which is usually early in the morning (5:30 AM) or at night (8:00 PM). These don't really seem like unreasonable times to be running, and I do see others out. The days are getting shorter, so either of those times, it's definitely dark outside. What has caused me concern, though, is the past couple of mornings, like at 6:15 when I am close to home (and it's still dark), I've noticed a guy in like a jogging suit standing on the same corner. Yesterday when he saw me, he started sort of stretching. I thought that looked odd, so I crossed to the other side of the street. He definitely noticed that I did that. Today when he saw me, he knelt down and started messing with his sock. Since it was the same guy and he didn't bother me yesterday, I didn't bother crossing the street. But the way he was messing with his sock--didn't seem like normal pre-workout behavior or anything. Oh, and this corner, it's definitely a business intersection, so it's not like the guy just stepped out his front door and started stretching.

Probably, it's nothing, and I should stop being so paranoid. But, in my mind, the guy is going to target me, and is trying to figure out my routine. Maybe the best thing I can do is to run a different way for awhile, or change to night time runs for a few weeks.

That is all a long way of asking, does anyone have any safety tips when running early in the morning. I feel safer at night, because there seem to be a lot of people still out. I have all the lighting and reflective gear I need, so I'm not really worried about getting hit by a car. Other than running with pepper spray and a taser (which might not be a bad idea), anyone have any other ideas?

Replies

• juncture
    juncture Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Maybe a panic/rape alarm for scaring anyone off/attracting help?
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    You need to listen to your gut instinct, and if you feel uncomfortable make a change. I'd change up my route, time of running, etc. Is there someone you can run with? As for running with 'protection', I always carry when running - either a gun or a taser depending on where I'm gonna run. I live in a small town, and several weeks ago a man attempted to grab a girl who was out running in a neighborhood (and a nice one too). She managed to get away but they have not caught anyone.
  • renpup
    renpup Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree--use your Gift of Fear in this case! Your gut is telling you something is fishy about this guy, please listen to it. If you feel more comfortable running at night, do that instead. Conversely, do you have a friend who could run with you in the morning? Safety in numbers, etc. If you haven't read it already, The Gift of Fear by Gavin DeBecker is a must-read for all women in my opinion. Be safe!
  • dmh0204
    dmh0204 Posts: 81
    Options
    Thanks. I'm ordering some pepper spray right now to carry. But I am going to change up my route so I don't pass by that corner. And I'll try to run at night for the rest of the week. Any thoughts on calling the police. I mean, the guy has done absolutely nothing wrong to me. But maybe if I just told the poilce he's out there, they could just send a car to drive by to decide whether the police officer thinks he seems suspicious. And, if the guy is up to no good, maybe knowing that there is a police presence in the area will be enough to deter him from doing anything.

Just curious, where do you carry your gun when you're running? My running shorts have a little pocket for my keys, but that's it.
  • mean_tail
    Options
    I do alot of solo running and I do have those same concerns, minus the suspicious person. However, what I do, is I run a different route and at different times of the day. I use either google maps or dailymile to plan out my route around and near my neighborhood. Alot of pre-planning and scouting the route beforehand helps alot. Good Luck and stay safe!!!!!
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Always listen to your gut. I would cross the street and have some pepper spray on you. Do you have any dogs or running partners that could go with you?
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I used to live in New Haven , one of the worst cities in CT/country.
    I never really had too many issues, a few times I got that funny feeling about people/routes.
    I ran with a whistle wrapped around my wrist and linked into my arm band that was holding my cell phone, I'd also carry my keys between my fingers too.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Change your route to keep from getting bored. Pepper spray is cheap and works - buy it. Please make sure he is attacking you before using it though :) also pay attention to the wind whilst spraying.
  • elekelk
    elekelk Posts: 107
    Options
    You should definitely change the way you run! And when you run at night/early morning make sure someone know you are out and when you think you will be back.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I carry pepper spray while walking by myself or walking my dog by myself... something I picked up after becoming a volunteer dog walker at a local animal shelter. They actually require you to carry pepper spray while walking their dogs both for your safety (from other people AND other animals) and for the safety of the dog you're walking.
  • AngelRobbie
    AngelRobbie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I run whenever I want, day or night. I just always have my phone and mace with me. That and I try to run at least slightly different routes.. Good luck!
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I completely understand...I am a morning person and I get out and walk and surprisingly....we don't turn the clocks back until November! A few things that I do:

1. I carry Mace and my cell phone
    2. I try to not be consistent with my time (I can only vary it so much, but I vary it within a 15 minute window)
    3. I always walk were there is traffic coming and going and lighted

Hope this helps!
  • jaqui71
    jaqui71 Posts: 14
    Options
    I take my dogs. I usually go at 5am but it is nearly summer here so it's not too dark.:smile:
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Wear white/bright clothing, wear a headlamp & reflective vest or straps, carry pepper spray & your phone and CHANGE YOUR ROUTE! I see the same people when I'm out running early, but that would freak me out. Be safe!!!!
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I sent you a message.....

Bottom Line: GO WITH YOUR GUT INSTINCT!!!!
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely keep crossing the road anytime you see him. Try to find a running partner. If you decide to carry, get trained, especially if you're inexperienced, and licensed [assuming you're in a city/state where the constitiution is respected.]

Nothing wrong with letting police know. Maybe they can drive by, check an ID. Who knows what they'll find out. Some locals here took notice of a man going to little league games and parks. Some one paid enough attention to notice he wasn't with any kids of his own, but hanging around all the others. When the police checked him out, they found his truck full of toys and candy. While they couldn't charge him with anything directly, it was hugely suspicious and he now knows he's being watched.

Be safe, but continue to live your life.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Trust your intinct and do what you need to do to stay safe. I run without headphones for this very reason. Some people may say I'm paranoid, but I need to be able to hear what's going on around me at all times to know if anything is approaching, whether it be the two-legged or four-legged animal varieties, vehicles, etc...
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    is the past couple of mornings, like at 6:15 when I am close to home (and it's still dark), I've noticed a guy in like a jogging suit standing on the same corner. Yesterday when he saw me, he started sort of stretching. I thought that looked odd, so I crossed to the other side of the street.
    The guy was probably thinking "Man, this jogging thing is tough. I'll walk for a few minutes." He then sees you jogging approaching him. "O crap! I don't want to look like some wimp while this lady jogs by. I bet she runs all the time and is going to think I'm a fatty. I know! I'll pretend I've stopped to stretch until she passes."
    Today when he saw me, he knelt down and started messing with his sock. Since it was the same guy and he didn't bother me yesterday, I didn't bother crossing the street. But the way he was messing with his sock--didn't seem like normal pre-workout behavior or anything.

"O crap! It's that same lady again. I'll just stop for a second and pretend to tie my shoe or something. Yeah, that's it. I'm not a lazy wimp. I just had to stop and fix my socks. I hope she doesn't think I'm a fat tub of lard for not jogging like she does."

Seriously who knows? If he creeps you out then do something else, change your time, route, carry pepper spray.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Uh oh, someone mentioned carrying a gun. The crybabies should be joining this thread any moment, it should sound like this:

"Thank god I live in XYZ country where we're all disarmed"

"I'm glad I don't have to carry a gun because I live in a bubble where no crime ever happens"

"Why would anyone need to carry a gun?"
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    You've seen him a couple of times in how many times you've been out running and he has been stretching and adjusting his socks. Guilty! Get him arrested and shot on the spot. He is probably just out doing his exercises the same as you. Would you have the same fear if it was a female? Just go jogging with a friend, end of. Don't call the cops as they could be out looking for him and not be somewhere else for a real crime. Call a SWAT team, hire a tank patrol unit and carry a couple of uzis with you, that way you can destroy anyone that so much looks at you.