Overweight Runner...shorts riding up?

Options

Replies

• shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of "tight" capris. I was very nervous about wearing them out in public. i decided to just not be self conscious about it. I'm trying to get healthy- if people think my flabby thighs and oversized bottom are funny....good for them. Glad I could bring a laugh to someone while trying to improve myself. Luckily most people are subtle about it and I heard no snickers. But it's amazing what almost 20 pounds of weight loss does for the tight pants. They fit but it wasn't the disgusting show I was expecting, and I didn't once have to stop and yank....if you know what I mean :tongue:
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Or, get longer shorts, not necessarily running. I got some Jantzens at Walmart that come mid-thigh. Not exactly schmexy but they don't ride up and have nice deep pockets for my keys and phone. Now that it's getting older I think the capris and pants will be taking their place soon, though!
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Compression shorts or knee length capri type shorts. Both are my go-to style pants for running.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I run in yoga pants (kinda like bicycle shorts) to avoid ride up and chafing. I have two pairs of capris for spring and early fall, and a long pair for winter. I can wear the capris in the summer as long as I wear a tank top.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    pants
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    knee length tighter fitting shorts (yoga pant type). Mine do this at any size, so I gave up on them.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    There are some nice running shorts that are on the tight side but not too tight you can get at target. I don't like pants because they will ride up and flood. They do wonders!
  • famlyluv
    famlyluv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    chub rub....problems of women everywhere. :ohwell:
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Get some compression shorts to wear underneath
    ^^^^^
    This is what I do, compression shorts and shirt when I run so my outerwear stays off my body.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I used to think it was because my thighs were fat, too. But now that I've lost 100 pounds, they still ride up and I have to do that weird little hop/sidestep thing every 10 steps to fix the problem.

I agree with everyone who said to run in longer compression shorts, yoga pants or capris.
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I would say either get some compression shorts or just run in some type of yoga pants
  • embercakez
    Options
    I get the nike running shorts with it the built in undies. Those are the only ones that don't ride up on me.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Capris are a good choice. I also buy a lot of men's gym shorts. They are longer in length and I don't have that problem with them and running. Just be sure to check that they aren't the ones with the built in underwear (or I guess you could cut them out). I got them at Kohl's on the clearance rack for like $7 or $8 each. They are loose and comfy and don't ride up. Perfect.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I run in yoga capris or compression pants. I have the same chub rub problem! If you wanna stick to shorts, try some compression shorts under your gym shorts. That way you get no chafing and you still are comfortable in public. They will probably ride up still, but at least there will be something under there this time! Good luck!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    When I run, my shorts ride up my inner thighs in a bad way. They seriously can't go any higher. I am assuming this is because my thighs be fat...is there anything I can do to make them knock it off? I prefer looser fitting gym shorts since I am still so overweight, but if I need to get some closer fitting ones I guess I'll have to suck it up and do it.

Compression shorts and get some vaseline down there
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I hate it when that happens. Change to any of the suggested clothes they work for me. ;P
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    wearing yoga pants or leggings under your shorts helps tremendously. they might still ride up a little but you wont notice it as much and it will be 1,000 times comfier.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of running skorts--they have a built-in pair of compression shorts and the skirts hide my perceived problem area. My favorites are from Athleta and the shorts underneath range in length from short to capri, but they are kind of expensive. I also have some from Nike and The North Face for summer running (shorter shorts and lighter fabric). I've seen C9 ones at Target, too.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I usually opt for capris and a long(er) tech shirt to hide the lumps and bumps, lol.
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens here. I do capris or yoga pants