Need a recipe for a sauce to put on pasta

Options
MandiK3
MandiK3 Posts: 218 Member
I wanted a sauce to put on pasta that is not high in fat and not high in sodium... I am open to anything preferably home made :D

Replies

• DeniMarie123
    DeniMarie123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    20g soft cheese, chopped spring onions, teaspoon chilli, garlic clove crushed, spinach leaves, 10g half fat creme fraiche, ground pepper to season

melt the low fat cheese in a frying pan, add the spring onions, chilli and Garlic, cook over a low heat.
    Put the spinach in a colander and pour over boiling water, leave to drain.

Mix all together then pour over pasta (or mix it all in)

Is very nice :smile:
  • cbaac03
    cbaac03 Posts: 152
    Options
    This recipe is from skinnytase.com and is super easy to make and delicious if you like chunky sauce. I put it over shrimp and penne pasta.

Easy Garden Tomato Sauce

Servings: 5 • Size: 1/2 cup • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 2 pts*
    Calories: 72.8 • Fat: 2.7 g • Protein: 0.3 g • Carb: 11.5 g • Fiber: 0.6 g • Sugar: 4.8 g
    Sodium: 0.6 mg

Ingredients:
    1 tbsp olive oil
    6 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 1/2 lbs grape tomatoes, cut in half
    salt and fresh pepper
    2 tbsp fresh chopped oregano (or fresh basil)
    1/8 tsp red crushed pepper flakes

Directions:

In a large non-stick pan, heat oil on high heat. Add garlic and cook until golden.

Add tomatoes, salt, crushed red pepper flakes and fresh black pepper and reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Add fresh oregano and cook another 15 minutes.

Make 2 1/2 cups.

*Nutritional info does not include pasta.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/08/easy-garden-tomato-sauce.html
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I like pasta with olive oil and parmesan and chopped chives... MMMmmm
  • Lillabet76
    Options
    Try this one: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6995/tomato-and-basil-sauce

They give you a couple of options on how to vary it too :)
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Roast some red peppers, peel off the skin, chop and either add to a can of tomatoes or just toss in a little olive oil and garlic.
  • schparks
    schparks Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I made pasta without any type of sauce last night, and it was great. I poached a small piece of chicken breast, then used a bit of the broth in a pan to sautee broccoli, onions, green peppers, and a TON of chopped garlic (probably 6 cloves). Once the veggies were cooked I added the chicken and a bit of seasoning and cooked a couple more minutes to sear the meat. Then I mixed the chicken/veggie mixture with a serving of pasta and added a tablespoon of parmesan - and voila! Tons of flavor, no sauce, no oil, approx. 400 calories for the whole batch. I kinda want it for dinner again tonight!
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    20g soft cheese, chopped spring onions, teaspoon chilli, garlic clove crushed, spinach leaves, 10g half fat creme fraiche, ground pepper to season

melt the low fat cheese in a frying pan, add the spring onions, chilli and Garlic, cook over a low heat.

This sounds so good. So good. No idea what you mean by soft cheese, though...like cream cheese?! Or...just a really mushy cheese? And by chilli, do you mean chili powder? And half-fat creme fraiche...hmmm...thinking of substitutions. I am going to stalk your profile now to see where you're from, as I'm determined to figure this recipe out and you're clearly not in the U.S. :) Thank you for sharing...at the very least, this is going to make me experiment.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I made this cauliflower alfredo sauce last night - it was really good! I omitted the breadcrumbs and used powdered garlic and chicken broth instead of water. Made 4 CUPS.

MFP recipe builder stats - ONE CUP serving

129 calories
    9g fat
    7g protein
    7g carbs

I looked into 'light' jarred sauces and these stats were still better ( and cleaner!!) :love:

(edit) would help if I posted link, eh? LOL

http://www.bethecook.com/recipes/other/cauliflower-spaghetti-with-alfredo-sauce.html
  • smboston
    Options
    I have recently been doing olive oil with some ground pepper and just a bit of grated low fat cheese. Simple.
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I made this one up and it was actually really good.

Heat a little extra virgin olive oil in a skillet, add 4 cloves minced garlic and cook until light brown.

Add a pound of thawed frozen peeled de-veined shrimp and cook until no longer that sickly gray color.

Add two cans of diced tomatoes (no salt added), and about 2x 1/4 can water (just put a little water in each can, swish it around, dump into pan).

Add a little chili pepper. I like McCormick Chipotle Chili Pepper spice. Add more if you like it spicier.

Simmer until it's thickened up (probably about 40 minutes or so), stirring every so often. You can omit the shrimp and use something else instead, but it was actually really tasty. My husband loved it and so did I.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I just use HEB Tomato and Alfredo sauce. One serving of pasta works perfect with 1/2 cup of sauce and only 100 calories. Last night I threw in some shrimp and the whole thing was 377.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!!!
  • BG10708
    BG10708 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Reduced fat Philadelphia Cream cheese thinned out with milk, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese. I add Canadian bacon or smoked salmon plus whatever vegetables I have. My usual mix is: sliced carrots, broccoli, sweet corn, chopped asparagus, wilted baby spinach. Because I use so many vegetables I can cut back a bit on the pasta.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    1 pound cherry or grape tomatoes
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp minced garlic
    Italian seasonings of your choice--basil, oregano, etc.

Put them all in a skillet with med. heat and cook until the tomatoes split open and let out the juices. Add pasta of your choice. Simple but good. You can decrease the amounts in this recipe for lesser amounts of pasta. I use these amounts for about a half pound (8oz) of pasta.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pasta-with-yogurt-sauce/detail.aspx

The sauce in this recipe is basically plain yogurt, garlic, and salt. You can adjust the saltiness to suit your taste. The recipe may not sound appealing but it is truly delicious and even the picky eaters in my house will eat it.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I like to saute some minced garlic in olive oil, 1 T butter, add fresh lemon zest, a bit of fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper, cook for 2 minutes until heated thouroughly and toss with bowtie pasta and/or broccoli. I also use that on green beans and asparagus.
    It's light, fresh and full of flavor.
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Always mix the pasta with te sauce

just like a my momma use ta make
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Cook pasta, put in bowl, toss with fresh diced tomatoes, fresh italian herbs (basil, thyme, oregano), sea salt, pepper, garlic, 1 TBSP olive oil, sprinkle with a little parm. It's a great base to start with, and you can add all sorts of veggies (cooked or not cooked) and proteins. It's good either with the pasta warm or cold.

Or, get a couple of containers of cherry tomatoes, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, broil or bake until the start to pop and follow the rest of the directions (except the additional olive oil).