New to MFP and a drinker

Options

Replies

• LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    I drink just about every weekend with no shame.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You can drink and lose weight ~ you just need to be accountable. If I have calories left over at the end of the day, Im going to have a beer (or however many I can fit into whatever I haven't eaten yet ~ LOL)! And on my Wednesday cheat days, Im going to drink whatever I want however much I want. Has it slowed my progress down? NO. But, I am being accountable and sticking to what works for me. Find what works for you. :)
  • jezy_jass
    jezy_jass Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've had this conversation with several people. We are all very well aware that weigh loss could be much much easier if we gave up drinking, but at the same time, I spend a lot of my weekends around a fire, at a barn dance, etc. drinking (mostly beer) with a group of great friends for hours on end, and I have to say i love it, every minute of it. I do usually try to go for a longer run on those days and sometimes the morning after as well (sweat it out the next day!). But overall, I love hanging out and having a few beers even if it slows me down a little bit with my weight loss. I have cut way back on my weekday drinking so I guess I can consider weekend nights out my "cheat days"! Good luck with whichever route you choose!!
  • LoriBeMe
    LoriBeMe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I drink just about every weekend with no shame.
    ^^good girl! me too :smile:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm off base here, but perhaps the 'I'm a drinker' thinking is part of what needs to change to make a healthier you. I'm all about a beverage here and there, but if you are worrying about ways to keep drinking within calorie limits by lowering calories while still getting alcohol, it may be a sign of a problem.

... It's a shame that someone with such a cool avatar is so off-base with his response.

People have been drinking alcohol longer than they've been drinking water (for obvious reasons *coughillnesscough*). However, it's a pretty integral part of culture, it HAS health benefits when used in moderation, etc. Even though there's the possibility of abuse with alcohol, there's just as much abuse possible with caffeine (also a drug) and, well, "bad" food.

Would you accuse someone of a problem if they came on and said they were trying to change their coffee, fast food, or donut habits to something a little healthier, but didn't want to get rid of it? Because I bet you someone's going to get many more withdrawal symptoms from caffeine than alcohol (unless you're an alcoholic... which is offensive to assume of someone who mentions wanting to keep alcohol in their lifestyle).

I hate the prohibitionist comments that come out whenever alcohol is involved. Many people like the taste of alcohol, not just the "feeling."

I did not accuse, I just stated a fact that it may be a problem. Also how many truly healthy person would start a conversation with 'I'm a drinker'. They may state they like to have a drink or drink wine, etc - but calling themselves a drinker?

EXACTLY. The mear fact that alcohol is so important in their life they introduce themselves on a fitness forum this way does indeed show signs of a problem.

A person that does not have a problem with alcohol does not have a problem giving it up.

And I say this from years and years of experience in being "a drinker"
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I like to have a drink or two in the evening - not every evening; no problem there. At first I would work it into my calorie budget, but then I realized that I need food more. Now if I want a drink, I earn it through exercise.

And I think it's reasonable to point out that somebody who introduces themselves to a fitness forum with "I'm a drinker" MIGHT have a problem. It's not isolated and judgemental. I've seen no end to discussion about carbs/no carbs, etc, and how a particular style of eating might stand in the way of reaching weight loss goals.
  • LIswimmer51
    Options
    I never really got into alcohol nor do i drink much at all but i know that the skinny girl mixes are very good. try those, for a skinny girl margarita small bottle, it's like 160 calories, not too bad for a margarita.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Alcohol just has so many calories. I can't even get properly drunk and stay in my goals without being hungry all day. I just don't bother. When I do drink, it's straight liquor - most bang for the caloric buck. Been doing absinthe lately.
  • shamos11
    shamos11 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Me too. I drink Bacardia and diet coke. Trying to wean off of the much needed after work cocktail.....not easy.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Alcohol just has so many calories. I can't even get properly drunk and stay in my goals without being hungry all day. I just don't bother. When I do drink, it's straight liquor - most bang for the caloric buck.
    Yeah, this about sums it up for me. Drink rarely, even though I'd love to every weekend :drinker: .

When I do drink I save calories by just going straight up then slowly drinking a water so I have something to hold and cheers with.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    SHOTS! Then you don't have to worry about the mixers.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I factor the same amount of calories into my daily limits for my wine and vodka every night and I'm quite happy with that.
    I do drink a lot less now than when I first started here because I hadn't realised how many calories I was drinking but I won't stop. I enjoy it, I can account for it and it has no effect on my weight. I struggle to eat my food calories as it is so even if I didn't drink I don't think I'd manage all the calories in solid form, lol!
    Work out what works for you, enjoy your food AND drink if that's what you want to do, you're answerable to yourself and no one else, especially not a load of judgemental strangers. :drinker:
  • owski17
    owski17 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I feel you. Beer drinker here. I try to stick to miller 64's but sometimes its not available (ex: weddings,ect). And I agree with the shots thing. I unfortunately cannot handle shots so I have to go with beer or mixers lol. Good luck and hopefully you can find something that fits into your diet and still allows you to have fun;)
  • Magoo64
    Magoo64 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am in the alcoholic beverage business so I have learned quite about how alcohol affects your metabolism and efforts to lose weight. While calories in vs. calories out is still the #1 criteria for weight loss (meaning that you need to run a deficit), alcohol calories do not metabolize the same way as whole food (healthy) calories. Your body will always metabolize alcohol calories first and food calories second, so you will not burn calories as efficiently if they are alcohol calories. Just do a search for "Jillian micahels alcohol metabolism" and you will see lots of info and videos. I now have my own "rules" for consuming alcohol. I only drink a glass of something, never two, and I now only have it when doing business and or have a special occasion with friends. I sleep better and feel better not having a glass of wine everyday and I'm losing weight faster than I did before when I had more alcohol in my "diets". Just plan what amount works for you, knowing that it will be slower and harder to drop the pounds with alcohol as part of your daily or weekly diet.

Good luck!
  • TinaCleg
    Options
    I don't drink during the week and I am a wine lover on the weekends. I do log the calories though. I know it sets me back some.
  • AirFSU92
    Options
    This is obviously a hot topic with lots of viewpoints and advice. At the end of the day, we just have to figure out what works and doesn't; what has priority. I totally enjoy having drinks, but am trying to prioritize my success over my "enjoyment". I agree with the comments that drinking can impact healthy eating choices. WOW wouldn’t some wings go good with this beer?

I believe to each their own, and what is right for one person isn't necessarily right for another.

Good tip on alcohol's effect on metabolism. I am going to check that out.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I typically drink 2-3 nights outta the week depending. I've still lost weight just fine!
  • awillkies
    awillkies Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    hi i like a cocktail or 2 or 3. but i limit to the weekends. what i do & what works for me (maybe not for everyone) is a pour small 1/4 glass of wine or a short vodka tonic or i limit to one beer. sometimes on the wine i will end up pouring myself another half & it "feels" like i've drunk 2 when actually they measure up to 1 whole glass (i think 6 oz or maybe 8oz). also for me again, is i drink herbal teas (tension tamer, calming tea) to wind down at night during the week.

everything in moderation i believe. hope it helps.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm off base here, but perhaps the 'I'm a drinker' thinking is part of what needs to change to make a healthier you. I'm all about a beverage here and there, but if you are worrying about ways to keep drinking within calorie limits by lowering calories while still getting alcohol, it may be a sign of a problem.

... It's a shame that someone with such a cool avatar is so off-base with his response.

People have been drinking alcohol longer than they've been drinking water (for obvious reasons *coughillnesscough*). However, it's a pretty integral part of culture, it HAS health benefits when used in moderation, etc. Even though there's the possibility of abuse with alcohol, there's just as much abuse possible with caffeine (also a drug) and, well, "bad" food.

Would you accuse someone of a problem if they came on and said they were trying to change their coffee, fast food, or donut habits to something a little healthier, but didn't want to get rid of it? Because I bet you someone's going to get many more withdrawal symptoms from caffeine than alcohol (unless you're an alcoholic... which is offensive to assume of someone who mentions wanting to keep alcohol in their lifestyle).

I hate the prohibitionist comments that come out whenever alcohol is involved. Many people like the taste of alcohol, not just the "feeling."

I did not accuse, I just stated a fact that it may be a problem. Also how many truly healthy person would start a conversation with 'I'm a drinker'. They may state they like to have a drink or drink wine, etc - but calling themselves a drinker?

If it's really just an issue of semantics, I can see where you're coming from now. At the same time, if--as the OP said--alcohol is generally a part of their diet and they're trying to include it in their new lifestyle... why is using the term "drinker" inappropriate? Though obviously not quite the same "poison," I've seen "I'm a chocoaholic" or a "fast food addict" in introduction posts.

I take it to mean: I'm making a lifestyle change. I'm not quite willing to give up my favorite food/drink/indulgence. I'm looking for people in the same boat--people who wish to lose weight, get healthy, but not give up alcohol/chocolate/fastfood... etc.

Would you guys thinking the OP ~could~ have a problem have thought otherwise if she had said, "New to MFP and love to drink" or "New to MFP and I enjoy drinking." Saying you're a "drinker" means you drink alcohol; saying you don't makes you a "non-drinker." It's a term and distinction that's been around for a long time (in personal ads, MySpace, dating sites, etc.). This is a similar public forum. I guess I'm just a little miffed at the severe outrage to the word "drinker."

I guess it could boil down to a "different" approach to calories. Lots of people do a IIFYM/save calories for what you like with little repercussions. Others may apparently judge people unwilling to give up things as possibly addicts. That's a slippery slope I wouldn't ski down.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I am in the alcoholic beverage business so I have learned quite about how alcohol affects your metabolism and efforts to lose weight. While calories in vs. calories out is still the #1 criteria for weight loss (meaning that you need to run a deficit), alcohol calories do not metabolize the same way as whole food (healthy) calories. Your body will always metabolize alcohol calories first and food calories second, so you will not burn calories as efficiently if they are alcohol calories. Just do a search for "Jillian micahels alcohol metabolism" and you will see lots of info and videos. I now have my own "rules" for consuming alcohol. I only drink a glass of something, never two, and I now only have it when doing business and or have a special occasion with friends. I sleep better and feel better not having a glass of wine everyday and I'm losing weight faster than I did before when I had more alcohol in my "diets". Just plan what amount works for you, knowing that it will be slower and harder to drop the pounds with alcohol as part of your daily or weekly diet.

Good luck!

Meh, not to spark the "Jillian Michaels" flame, but she is, ultimately, not a doctor or nutritionist. There's been enough research on (specifically) microbrewed beer (and to an extent, wine) being almost the opposite of what you said. Yes, alcohol is metabolized differently... but the effect you're talking about is if you are getting sloshed on more alcohol than food intake. Unfiltered beer and dry red wines have tremendous positives, from the antioxidants and polyphenols helping the immune system to the full servings of fiber and B12 in beer. Some studies have shown beer to be a decent "recovery" drink after a workout. Would I necessarily advocate drinking beer or wine after a workout? No. But I do know that, compared to some actually marketed drinks for "repair," good ol' fashioned good beer and wine is going to be much better for you.

By the way--a boxed Chardonnay and a case of Bud Light are NOT the things that would give you these benefits ;)