Snapping hip syndrome?

Options
I think perhaps I am experiencing this and wanted to know if anyone had any advice to offer me, should I go see a sports injury clinic or if I leave it will the symptoms clear on their own as my body strengthens? I've been running for about 10 weeks and recently completed the couch to 5k running programme. Up until yesterday everything was great, no injuries or any aches or pains. Yesterday towards the end of my 5k run I experienced a popping sensation at my hip, it felt like the hip joint/upper thigh was popping, nothing particularly painful in any way but more of an alarming sensation. Since then I've had the same thing happen twice more whilst simply walking around in the house, usually as I turn to walk in another direction. I'm not sure if I should continue running, give it a short break of a few days or go see someone for advice. I don't want to leave something that will possibly lead to an injury which puts me out of running for weeks (can't bear the thought of not running for weeks) - but I don't want to rush off to a physiotherapist making something out of nothing. I've looked up on the internet and found snapping hip syndrome which it sounds like it might be that but I'm not sure. I can't hear any noise but I can feel this strange jolting sensation, it happens just once and then I'm fine until it happens again.

Replies

• GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My hips always click and pop. It doesnt hurt. I was in physiotherapy for something else, and she said that some people just have looser joints than others, and if it doesnt hurt its not a big deal. You can guess how loose your joints are by how far you can bend your fingers back. If they dont bend very far, you dont have loose joints, but if they go far you do.
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I experience something similar every now and then. I notice it sometimes when I am stretching after a run. I know what you mean by being alarmed by it!
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'll leave it for now and see how it goes, hopefully it won't happen too often!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My hips pop when I'm doing pilates. I can hear it, which is just disturbing, but it doesn't hurt or anything.
  • Detterer
    Detterer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have popping hips and I've also had a Labrum repair in one hip joint. I would suggest if it is new and worries you go and see a physio and get it checked out, because there are some exercise you can do lossen tightness in your hips and strengthen some hip muscles which help reduce the popping (even if it is only a discomfort sensation).

But then again, I'm definetly pro physio.