St. John's Wort for better mood...

Erica_Rae
Erica_Rae Posts: 96 Member
I've been taking St John's Wort for about three weeks now and have noticed that I've been a tad bit happier. Is this mood change from the supplements or just a coincidence? Do these capsules have any long-term effects? Are they safe?

Replies

• _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    I donno. BRB, while I google it.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    It's the supplements. Just be careful if you are taking any other meds, as it could interfere.
    When I was going through my first divorce, my doctor wanted me on anti-depressants because of the stress. They did nothing. I started St John's Wort and felt like a million bucks. Nature's natural anti-depressant. :smile:
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    I'm interested. Lemme know what you come up with..........
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    I'm back!

Here is what the interwebs said:
    Major depressive disorder
    An analysis of twenty-nine clinical trials with more than five thousand patients was conducted by Cochrane Collaboration. The review concluded that extracts of St John's wort were superior to placebo in patients with major depression.

Neato!
  • Erica_Rae
    It's the supplements. Just be careful if you are taking any other meds, as it could interfere.
    When I was going through my first divorce, my doctor wanted me on anti-depressants because of the stress. They did nothing. I started St John's Wort and felt like a million bucks. Nature's natural anti-depressant. :smile:

How long did you take them for? Did your depression come back when you stopped taking them? That is the only thing I am worried about!
  • Erica_Rae
    Thanks for the info!
  • Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    The biggest problem with St. John's Wort is the interactions. If you're on any meds including birth control get it checked out first. (Decreases the effectiveness of BC). Other than that you have to take it 3 times per day and safety studies only go up to 8 months. I've heard people having really good success with it and considered it myself but the BC thing is not worth the risk for me.
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    If your on birth control... dont take st johns wort... it will make your BC not work.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    St. John's Wort is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor. Yes, it does help with depression in some people. This is one of the few herbal remedies that I, as a pharmacologist, actually believe in. The science is fairly sound.

BUT as others have warned, St. John's Wort can interact with other medications. Absolutely talk to your doctor and/or pharmacist about any medications you might be on and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS report St. John's Wort on those health records you are asked to fill out when they ask what meds you are taking.

Be aware that St. John's Wort can cause toxic build up of the amino acid Tyramine. Avoid foods that have high levels of tyramine.
  • Erica_Rae
    St. John's Wort is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor. Yes, it does help with depression in some people. This is one of the few herbal remedies that I, as a pharmacologist, actually believe in. The science is fairly sound.

BUT as others have warned, St. John's Wort can interact with other medications. Absolutely talk to your doctor and/or pharmacist about any medications you might be on and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS report St. John's Wort on those health records you are asked to fill out when they ask what meds you are taking.

Be aware that St. John's Wort can cause toxic build up of the amino acid Tyramine. Avoid foods that have high levels of tyramine.

Thank you for the info! I am on birth control but am not currently sexually active so I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member

How long did you take them for? Did your depression come back when you stopped taking them? That is the only thing I am worried about!

I took it for about 6 months. I felt fine after stopping them. Sounds odd, but it felt like it had "reset" me, if that makes any sense.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member

Thank you for the info! I am on birth control but am not currently sexually active so I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!
    Im fairly certain the sex would make you happier than the SJW. Just a guess though. :)
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 749 Member
    I for one took a supplement for 2 months and I hated it because it messed up my stomach so I stopped. I feel that eating right while excising is the best. Even if you dont follow it exactly you will lose weight without having to spend alot of money on supplements. You are good looking to begin with, therefore you can do it!!! Good luck! Remember support is always there.
  • Erica_Rae
    I for one took a supplement for 2 months and I hated it because it messed up my stomach so I stopped. I feel that eating right while excising is the best. Even if you dont follow it exactly you will lose weight without having to spend alot of money on supplements. You are good looking to begin with, therefore you can do it!!! Good luck! Remember support is always there.

Thank you! But, I do exercise and eat fairly healthy, yet still struggle with mild depression . That is why I am taking the St.John's Wort and I think it is helping some !:)
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member

It's not just the birth control you've got to worry about :) It interacts with other things too... so basically just be careful. Make sure you tell your doctor you are on it if/when that doctor decides to prescribe something, even if that something is just some antibiotics. That's actually a good policy with any herbal remedies or medicines. There are horror stories out there about people going in for surgery and not waking up because they were on something the doctors didn't know about.
  • Erica_Rae
    Wow that is good to know!! Thank you so much !
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Make sure you use a good sunscreen. St Johns Wort can make your skin photosensitive.
  • Just some perks about st johns wort... Its said that it can help speed up ur metabolism, it DEFINITELY increases ur libido (I know from experience) and if you suffer from A-typical depression, it can help with ur constant food cravings. Taking this supplement is what helps me make it from one meal to the next without eating snacks, etc in between. Has it completely relieved my depression? NO. Does it make me as sensitive as HELL to light. YES. But I do notice a difference in my weight when Im taking it. Those few pounds I couldnt rid myself of just SLIDE right off when Im taking St johns Wort. Coincidence? We may never know. But I SWEAR by this stuff!!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    I take 2 capsules a day adn I can tell when I miss a day or two. It helps calm me...not really "happy" pills, but just takes the edge off. My kids appreciate it. LOL